Author Topic: Playback devices appearing in Record device query  (Read 109 times)

Chris Ward

Hello,

running VB.net 2019 on Windows 10 64 bits, and the following code to get the Record devices on a pc (as seen in mmsys.cpl) i get the record devices AND playback devices listed ! This is using Bass.net.dll 2.4.14.1 and bass.dll 2.4.15.0 So i downloaded bass.dll 2.4.16.7 and still got the record devices listed and then the playback devices too - not helpful when the results go into a combobox for record soundcard selection.  However when i used the code with the bass.dll 2.4.13.2 (which i had lying around) and the same Bass.net.dll as before, the code works as expected and only displays my input devices (and this is likely the dll version i used when i first wrote the code). So, has something changed to do with getting only record devices ? or has a bug got introduced that hasn't been spotted ?

admittedly i haven't changed the bass.net.dll file, as this is more of a pain to update as .net needs a specific version and id have to update this across all my applications, which is dull, but i do only  from time to time.

thank you

Chris.

Function GetRecSoundcards() As Integer
        Dim n As Integer = 0
        Dim info As New BASS_DEVICEINFO()
        Dim DefaultRecDevice As New Bass
        GetRecSoundcards = -1
        While (Bass.BASS_RecordGetDeviceInfo(n, info))
            RecSoundcard(n).ID = n
            RecSoundcard(n).Name = info.ToString
            If info.IsDefault = True Then GetRecSoundcards = n
            n = n + 1
        End While
        CFG.RecSoundcardCount = n - 1
    End Function

fmcoder

Re: Playback devices appearing in Record device query
« Reply #1 on: 10 May '22 - 14:30 »
May be it also lists loopback devices for playback devices? I suggest you to check the device flags to get more info on the returned devices.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Playback devices appearing in Record device query
« Reply #2 on: 10 May '22 - 17:37 »
Indeed, those entries will be "loopback" devices, which capture the sound being played on the corresponding output device. They can be identified by having the BASS_DEVICE_LOOPBACK flag set.