Author Topic: XMPlaySecret 2.1 build 20  (Read 55313 times)

Torkell

XMPlaySecret 2.1 build 20
« on: 17 Jun '04 - 21:26 »
Current version is 2.1 build 20, last updated 14/4/2005

Thought I'd make this a seperate topic, seeing as how I'm expanding the program somewhat.

XMPlaySecret is a little utility designed to allow you to modify some of the hidden or secret options for XMPlay. It was originally written in response to a question in this thread about disabling the popup whenever the track changes and XMPlay is minimised to the tray. I've since added more features, such as the ability to empty the default playlist and to fix broken file associations in the registry. The new version will be available soon.

The current version can always be got from here and looks like this:

Any comments/bug reports/feature requests? Post in this topic, send me a PM or e-mail me (the address is in my profile).

Small print:
This program comes with absolutely no warranty and you use it at your own risk. While I have tried to ensure it won't damage your computer, I will not be held responsible should any problems result from you using it. But you're all sensible and knowledgable people, so you should know what you're doing. This program is not endorsed, written by, published by or in any way linked to Ian Luck.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec '05 - 17:14 by BoggyB »

Torkell

Re:XMPlaySecret utility
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun '04 - 22:13 »
New version v1.1 build 1

+Toggle verify files option
+Kill file association entries
+Empty default playlist
« Last Edit: 30 Jun '04 - 13:39 by Boggy B »

No sucker

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun '04 - 21:46 »
Why is this file so big? XMPlay is only 300kB and this is over 1M?  And why do you hide it in a Windows Installation wrapper? Why not leave it open in a .zip file like XMPlay for everybody to see.

59 People have been to this web site. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS APPLICATION. Something is fishy when file to set Options is nearly 4X the size of the file you are setting options on. Like a key logger hidden inside? Or maybe a virus? Anyway, something is just not Kosher.

Brightguy

Re: XMPlaySecret utility
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun '04 - 22:24 »
LOL... well I'm sure it's not a virus, but I have to admit I was surprised at the size of it as well.  Does the program install a necessary .dll file or something?  It doesn't seem like the Windows Installer needs to be used for a seemingly simple VB project.

Philippe

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun '04 - 22:34 »
Why is this file so big? XMPlay is only 300kB and this is over 1M?  And why do you hide it in a Windows Installation wrapper? Why not leave it open in a .zip file like XMPlay for everybody to see.

59 People have been to this web site. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS APPLICATION. Something is fishy when file to set Options is nearly 4X the size of the file you are setting options on. Like a key logger hidden inside? Or maybe a virus? Anyway, something is just not Kosher.

Somehow, I have a very strong aversion against anonymous messages of this kind.

For my part, I would rather thank Boggy B for the effort, the generous contribution. Wether I use the progam or not is irrelevant.

So, thanks Boggy B!

Philippe

Vesh

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun '04 - 23:42 »
LOL. Yet another noob [edit: and an anonymous noob, at that] not getting to know the community before mouthing off.

Congratulations, you've made me chuckle!  ;D
« Last Edit: 29 Jun '04 - 23:43 by Vesh »

Torkell

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun '04 - 11:05 »

It's over 1M because it contians the VB runtimes and a dll to make registry access easier in VB. I included the runtimes as not everyone will have them. Also, I didn't pack the EXE to make it smaller (which is what's done with XMPlay). It's in a windows installer package as that way there's only one file to distribute and it's easier to install. It's not hidden - there are plenty of free tools around to let you see the files inside it, same as with a zip file. The .MSI file's zipped because geocites won't let me upload a .MSI file. There's no key logger, virus, spyware, adware or any malware inside it.

Complete contents of the MSI file:
# XMPlaySecret.exe
# regobj.dll (some classes to make registry access easy in VB)
# scrrun.dll (MS Scriptiing Runtime - used for some file access)
# COMCAT.MSM (merge module - something to do with COM)
# MSVBVM60.MSM (merge module - VB runtimes)
# MSVCRT.MSM (merge module - VC runtimes (not sure why that's included))
# OLEAUT32.MSM (merge module - OLE automation)

It does seem a bit big, looking at it (didn't notice as I'm on broadband). I just built the package in Visual InterDev and let it decide what files to include. The MSI file comes to just 1.19 MB, which I think is better than by using the Package & Deploy wizard. I'll look into trimming the size down a bit.

Torkell

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun '04 - 11:11 »
Okay, using the Package & Deployment wizard with default settings produced 3 files a total of 1.62MB in size (a fair bit bigger than the other package). This is probably due to the inclusion of an installer, uninstaller, dll for installer, and a pre-installer (decompresses part of the cab file and then runs the installer from a temp dir). It seems to have included the same dlls, so I'm reluctant to remove them from the MSI file in case someone doesn't have them. Just providing the exe and dll wouldn't work, as the dll needs to be registered as it's COM.

Vesh

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun '04 - 12:16 »
Just wondering, here. I've made registry altering scripts and vb executables and I could usually go all-API and was able to keep the exe's pretty tiny... like the 50-120KB range and keep it functional back to win98. You not wanting to go that route?

Torkell

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun '04 - 13:15 »
Couldn't be bothered - this is a quick 'n' dirty tool that has taken about 2 hours total work so far. The exe itself is 28KB, registry dll is 39.5KB, and scripting runtime (for FileSystemObject) is the biggie - 148KB. Thinking about it, I could lose that and use classic VB file I/O. I'll do that, as it'll knock a hundred K or so of the package...

Torkell

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun '04 - 13:33 »
New version v1.1 build 4 (get it here)

-Removed dependency on Scripting Runtime
*Default playlist will be created if not present when emptied

The changes have reduced the package to 1.03MB (before zipping). Modules removed are the Scripting and VC runtimes. Download is now 962KB.
If you've got the previous version, then there's no need to download this one.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun '04 - 13:40 by Boggy B »

Brightguy

Re: XMPlaySecret utility
« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul '04 - 05:43 »
You could remove the VB run-times and just provide a link to them if the user needs them: VB6 run-times.  And you wouldn't need to use the Microsoft Installer at all if you just told users to place the required DLL file in their /system directory.  I've never been required to register a DLL before, but can't you do that with regsvr32.exe?

Sorry to criticise... ;) but I'd prefer if you could just download the EXE separately.

Irrational86

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul '04 - 06:24 »
Boggy B, you dont have to register the DLLs, just by having them in the system folder is good enough

Jace

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul '04 - 07:25 »
Besides, doesn't it work the same if the .dll file is in the same directory with the .exe file?

Irrational86

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul '04 - 07:50 »
Yup, that will do as well, but the point is, you do NOT have to register the DLLs with regsrv32

Torkell

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul '04 - 11:12 »
That's only if you are calling the functions by "Declare Function...". If you instead use COM/OLE classes from the DLL, you do need to register it.

Irrational86

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul '04 - 16:20 »
Ah...ok, so I guess you are using the COM/OLE classes directly...good enough...why not use the "Declare ..."?

Torkell

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul '04 - 19:43 »
Three reasons: one, it's hard work in VB, two, it still wouldn't work with COM/OLE and three, VB makes it nice and easy to use COM/OLE directly. Quick 'n' dirty code sample:
Code: [Select]
' First add reference to VB Registry Manipulation Classes (regobj.dll, lurks on M$ site)
Dim key As RegKey
Set key = GetRegistryKeyFromHKEY(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) ' Function in global class
key.Value = "foo"
Set key = Nothing

Torkell

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul '04 - 11:38 »
New version v1.2 build 6 (get it here)

+New button: will delete XMPlay settings in registry
*Added some prompting in places (e.g. "Are you sure?")

Should be about the same size as before. Again, all suggestions/bug reports are welcome. Flames will be redirected to NUL.

[edit]KD, you've got a mistake in the support site. This utility doesn't "ensure the default playlist is always empty", it just has a button that will empty the playlist for you (good if there's a corrupt file somewhere in it). Just to clarify things a bit.[/edit]
« Last Edit: 18 Jul '04 - 11:41 by BoggyB »

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul '04 - 15:08 »
[edit]KD, you've got a mistake in the support site. This utility doesn't "ensure the default playlist is always empty", it just has a button that will empty the playlist for you (good if there's a corrupt file somewhere in it). Just to clarify things a bit.[/edit]

Ah sorry about that, although... how about that as an option? :P

Torkell

« Reply #20 on: 18 Jul '04 - 17:04 »
It'd be rather tricky to do, as the proggy would have to run all the time and either hook into writes to the file (hard to do with VB), or poll the dir constantly (inefficient and would kill any power saving system).

If people want to do that, then here's a quick 'n' dirty solution. Copy the code into a .BAT file and run it from the XMPlay dir.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
start /wait xmplay.exe
del xmplay.pls
« Last Edit: 18 Jul '04 - 17:04 by BoggyB »

Jace

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jul '04 - 17:45 »
Can't you make the program empty the list and make it read-only? That would work I believe. =)

Irrational86

« Reply #22 on: 19 Jul '04 - 04:21 »
That's the suggestion I gave a while ago to a user who wanted that option, and it works perfectly, without a problem

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #23 on: 19 Jul '04 - 06:01 »
That's the suggestion I gave a while ago to a user who wanted that option, and it works perfectly, without a problem

Yup, thats exactly what I had on my mind. Toldya it was neat then too ;D

Torkell

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jul '04 - 12:33 »
New version v1.3 build 9 (get it here)

+Make default playlist read-only so it always stays the same
*REMOVED RUNTIME DLLS FROM PACKAGE - the VB 6 runtimes are required for this to run now. You should already have them, if not then get them from Microsoft

Removing the VB runtimes and OLE dlls form the package shrunk it down to about 50 KB (after zipping to get round geocities). You should have all the necessary files, if not then they all live somewhere in the microsoft site. I'm not going to change the distribution format, as packaging it as a msi ensures that the extra dlls that are not easy to find get installed properly (specifically, regobj.dll which makes registry stuff easy in vb). Dunno why I didn't do that before - probably just didn't think of it ;D

I've also updated the screen shot of it (look at the first page of this topic)
« Last Edit: 19 Jul '04 - 12:38 by BoggyB »