Author Topic: XMPlaySkin 1.3 build 14  (Read 25299 times)

Torkell

XMPlaySkin 1.3 build 14
« on: 9 Aug '04 - 19:12 »
Current version is 1.3 build 14, last updated 23/12/2005

I'm back with another mad utility! ;D

XMPlaySkin is a little utility designed to make it easy to edit the skinconfig.txt file. As such, it'll only be of interest to skinners. The current version can always be got from here.

Any comments/bug reports/feature requests? Post in this topic, send me a PM or e-mail me (the address is in my profile).

Small print:
This program comes with absolutely no warranty and you use it at your own risk. While I have tried to ensure it won't damage your computer, I will not be held responsible should any problems result from you using it. But you're all sensible and knowledgable people, so you should know what you're doing. This program is not endorsed, written by, published by or in any way linked to Ian Luck.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul '13 - 20:24 by Torkell »

WingZero

Re:XMPlaySkin
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug '04 - 20:59 »
   Some little things... There really should be some colour boxes on the Scaler pages. Obviously, they would have to relate to the colours on the Colour tab.  The colour boxes on the Colour tab are overlapped by the buttons. The "Title" and "Mini-mode title" text and combos could be a little bit higher. On the Misc tab, you spelt "author" wrong. And finally, the default location to save a file is on the E:\ drive, commonly a removable drive. Trying to save to that location causes a Runtime error 71 (Disk not ready). It then disappears. Clearly, it should put up a normal error message and continue. That looks like a VB error, so you might have to do some work to fix it.

Brightguy

Re: XMPlaySkin
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug '04 - 21:16 »
Neat app.  I got the Windows Installer working with command-line parameters added.

Some things I noticed...

-It crashes if you leave the title position blank, or if the skinconfig isn't found.
-With the fonts, Italics aren't displayed, and there is no 'extra bold' option.
-It will not allow negative offsets.
-Also, It would be nice if you could see how the scalers will affect the colours.

Torkell

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug '04 - 21:54 »
There really should be some colour boxes on the Scaler pages. Obviously, they would have to relate to the colours on the Colour tab.
Ill look into itTM.
The colour boxes on the Colour tab are overlapped by the buttons.
They don't - it just looks like they do.
The "Title" and "Mini-mode title" text and combos could be a little bit higher.
Done.
On the Misc tab, you spelt "author" wrong.
Oops. Must've thought it should be spelt like colour.
And finally, the default location to save a file is on the E:\ drive, commonly a removable drive. Trying to save to that location causes a Runtime error 71 (Disk not ready).
Left-over testing code - E:\ is the drive with all my data on it. Will change to something more sensible.

-It crashes if you leave the title position blank, or if the skinconfig isn't found.
Doesn't crash here - please provide further details. Of course, this may be becuase I just spotted a mistake I made and fixing that fixed it! The other one is the user's fault ;D. I'll add a nice "What did you do to the skinconfig.txt file!?" message.
-With the fonts, Italics aren't displayed, and there is no 'extra bold' option.
Those are not supported by XMPlay, hence they are not displayed/have no effect. There isn't an easy way in VB to remove italics from the list without reinventing the wheel.
-It will not allow negative offsets.
Didn't know those were allowed - changed now.

Version 0.2 will be out soon (probably tomorrow). Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: 9 Aug '04 - 22:03 by BoggyB »

Tsorovan

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug '04 - 23:02 »
Run-time error 380: Invalid property value on all of the skinconfigs created by moi... "classic" works fine. I've gone through them, comparing with classic and trying to see what might do it, but to no avail.
Here's* the old Miniskin v1.1 one, and no, the 4 decimals in the colour scalers aren't the culprit in case you want to troubleshoot (I removed the last two and the error still prevailed).

[removed old, useless URL]
« Last Edit: 27 Dec '05 - 17:39 by Tsorovan »

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug '04 - 23:43 »
Getting the same thing as Tsovoran.

It seems to occur due to these tags:

scaler_lit
scaler_pressed
scaler_search
scaler_title

The program needs these to be below 1.0 since the box its in can't go over 100. But its funny since 1.0 1.0 1.2 will work, but 1.2 1.2 1.2 won't. Anything under 1.1 seems to work fine.

Edit: How about a nifty NSIS installer instead of needing all the Microsoft stuff? ;D
« Last Edit: 9 Aug '04 - 23:44 by Keltic Danor »

Torkell

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug '04 - 09:26 »
Getting the same thing as Tsovoran.

It seems to occur due to these tags:

scaler_lit
scaler_pressed
scaler_search
scaler_title

The program needs these to be below 1.0 since the box its in can't go over 100. But its funny since 1.0 1.0 1.2 will work, but 1.2 1.2 1.2 won't. Anything under 1.1 seems to work fine.
Didn't know values greater than 1 were allowed. The skinning kit isn't exactly crystal-clear on these things ::). What would help is a list of min/max values for all the entries in skinconfig.txt

Edit: How about a nifty NSIS installer instead of needing all the Microsoft stuff? ;D
Because the Microsoft stuff works fine for me, and it adds in all the dependencies from VB quite nicely. I'm writing this in VB 6, then using the Windows Installer kit with Visual InterDev 6 to build the package. I've removed the core VB runtimes, but left in the other dependencies (up/down controls (which I can probably remove), the tab control and the common dialogs (Open/Font/Colour)).

Torkell

« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug '04 - 11:07 »
Run-time error 380: Invalid property value on all of the skinconfigs created by moi... "classic" works fine. I've gone through them, comparing with classic and trying to see what might do it, but to no avail.
Here's the old Miniskin v1.1 one, and no, the 4 decimals in the colour scalers aren't the culprit in case you want to troubleshoot (I removed the last two and the error still prevailed).
One problem fixed - you had omitted the font_titlealign value from the skin file. This version doesn't like it if parts of the font tags are missing (it only checks the font_<item> one).

Edit: 'nother one caught - was skipping the last line of the file, which usually meant that text_url was skipped.

Edit: and another daft one - was only using the first scaler value and ignoring the others. Let that be a lesson of the perils of copy 'n' paste! ;D
« Last Edit: 10 Aug '04 - 11:32 by BoggyB »

Torkell

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug '04 - 11:51 »
New version v0.2 build 3 [BETA] (get it here)

+Preview for the scalers
*Fixed spelling mistake on Misc tab
*Changed default save location
*Added some error handling in file routines
*Allowed negative offsets
*Allowed scaler values greater than 100%
*Added checking for missing "font_[item]align"
*Improved file reading
*Fixed silly mistake in scaler handling

Brightguy

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug '04 - 14:57 »
The program still crashes when trying to view configs that have negative offsets, also you have to manually type in the offset if you want it negative (you can't use the arrows).

With the fonts, I forgot that 'italics' aren't an option, but 'extra bold' is.  I don't think the Font Dialog supports 'extra bold' though...

With the scalers, the sample colour should probably revert back to the original when the check box is unchecked.

Good work though. ;)

cerealkiller

« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug '04 - 15:42 »
Hey this is very handy thnx.I havent had any problems with it myself nice work.

Torkell

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug '04 - 17:17 »
New version v0.2 build 5 [BETA] (get it here)

*Scaler preview boxes disappear when the checkbox is unticked
*Allowed negative values on the position tab (properly, including the up/down buttons)
*Tab ordering fixed

The program still crashes when trying to view configs that have negative offsets, also you have to manually type in the offset if you want it negative (you can't use the arrows).
Please send a config file that causes this crash. Email address is in profile. Other part is now changed (up/down arrows).
With the fonts, I forgot that 'italics' aren't an option, but 'extra bold' is.  I don't think the Font Dialog supports 'extra bold' though...
If it does, then I need to use the WinAPI to achieve it. I'm sure you can all live without extra bold ;D
With the scalers, the sample colour should probably revert back to the original when the check box is unchecked.
Slightly changed - the sample box will vanish when the check box is unticked.

Good work though. ;)
Hey this is very handy thnx.I havent had any problems with it myself nice work.
Thanks. 8)
« Last Edit: 12 Aug '04 - 15:28 by BoggyB »

Torkell

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug '04 - 15:29 »
I'm working on a new feature for XMPlaySkin - a basic skin checker. It'll check for relatively simple things, like missing or bad values in skinconfig.txt, missing bitmaps, bad bitmaps, inconsistencies (e.g. mask and actual aren't same size), etc. Any suggestions for other things to check for?

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug '04 - 15:46 »
Might be a little difficult to check for missing bitmaps. Since you don't need to have most of them. :-X

Unless it was super clever and able to read the masks to know what bmp's should be present.

A handy option could be a button that sets the panel offset to lock the side panels in place. Perhaps two, one for each panel.

Torkell

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug '04 - 16:17 »
Might be a little difficult to check for missing bitmaps. Since you don't need to have most of them. :-X

Unless it was super clever and able to read the masks to know what bmp's should be present.
I never said it was going to be a clever checker. ;D

A handy option could be a button that sets the panel offset to lock the side panels in place. Perhaps two, one for each panel.
What are the required offsets for that?

Brightguy

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug '04 - 22:34 »
Set the panel's offset equal to the width of the panel minus the panel's margin.

By the way, the reason it was crashing for me when loading negative offsets was because I had put a space between the number and the negative sign (XMPlay will still recognise it as negative).

One more thing: The Vintage skinconfig.txt has a 3.0 scaler, and the program will crash trying to load it.

Torkell

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug '04 - 09:24 »
Set the panel's offset equal to the width of the panel minus the panel's margin.
A bit tricky to do, as it requires finding and loading the bitmap. Maybe it'll appear in 1.1 ;D

By the way, the reason it was crashing for me when loading negative offsets was because I had put a space between the number and the negative sign (XMPlay will still recognise it as negative).
Ah. VB doesn't handle that natively, so I'd have to rewrite that bit of the code *and* add my own CInt function. I'll add it to the list of 'features' ;D

One more thing: The Vintage skinconfig.txt has a 3.0 scaler, and the program will crash trying to load it.
Let me guess: the error is an overflow? I'm using a scaled Byte for the scaler (0.00-2.55). I'll change that to an Int or something.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug '04 - 11:23 by BoggyB »

Torkell

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug '04 - 11:56 »
Little update with XMPlaySkin - I thought I'd go all the way with the skin checker, and do what I wanted to do with the main skin creator, which is make it extendable. Couldn't do it with the skin editor because of limitations in VB, but I can do it with the skin checker. End result should be that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of COM (or of VB) can add more tests for the skin, or run the tests from their own program. 8)

Torkell

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug '04 - 18:29 »
New version 1.0 build 7 (get it here)
  • Modified scaler handling to increase input range (values greater than 2.55 are now allowed)
  • Added support for skin checker library (available soon) (included in the download now)

The skin checker part will be out soon. I wanted to release it seperately as it can be used in other programs more easily that way. Don't worry, it'll be out soon (probably inside of an hour).
« Last Edit: 18 Aug '04 - 19:20 by BoggyB »

Torkell

« Reply #19 on: 18 Aug '04 - 19:21 »
The skin checker is now included in the download. A merge module for it, and details on how to extend XMPlaySkinTests and use it in your own program are available on request, as well as sample source code. I'll put up a web page in a few days.

Enjoy! 8)

Torkell

XMPlaySkin 1.1 build 12
« Reply #20 on: 14 Feb '05 - 22:51 »
New version 1.1 build 12 (get it here)
  • Added new skinning options for XMPlay 3.2 (extra pair of checkboxes on Misc tab)
  • Minor internal code tweaks to support the extra options

I thought that since I'd got XMPlaySecret out the door, I'd take the time to see what's new in the skinnning kit. So here's an update for XMPlaySecret to go with XMPlay 3.2.0.1!

Torkell

XMPlaySkin 1.1 build 13
« Reply #21 on: 14 Apr '05 - 21:24 »
New version 1.1 build 13 (get it here)
  • Added new skinning option for XMPlay 3.2 (title scrolling option, introduced in a subrelease)

Not much to see here, just a title scrolling option that appeared sometime after XMPlay 3.2.0.5.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec '05 - 17:15 by BoggyB »

Torkell

XMPlaySkin 1.3 build 14
« Reply #22 on: 23 Dec '05 - 16:29 »
New version 1.3 build 14 (get it here)
  • Added new skinning options for XMPlay 3.3 (mouse hover framing colour and list text offset)

Note that the url has changed, and so you may need to update your bookmarks. The old site may no longer be updated.

Edit: updated the URL again.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul '13 - 20:23 by Torkell »

cerealkiller

Re: XMPlaySkin 1.3 build 14
« Reply #23 on: 23 Dec '05 - 16:37 »
Nice, Thank you.

Astral Soup Design

Crashes! Glitches! Bummers!
« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul '13 - 13:13 »
I've installed this program and when I try to load the skinconfig.txt of a XMP 3.7 Generation File, the program crashes.