Author Topic: UMX file?  (Read 7654 times)

Patrice

UMX file?
« on: 12 Apr '04 - 19:11 »
What is the UMX file format ?
Does BASS is able to play it ?

KarLKoX

Re:UMX file?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr '04 - 21:28 »
UMX files are simple s3m/it file (from Unreal game) with a different header.
Bass can play these files :)

Patrice

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr '04 - 07:51 »
Thank you Karl

DCoder

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr '04 - 15:57 »
hi,
i´m having some trouble decoding these types. For example, this File
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alourdeaux/Sharing/Spire.umx
has a duration of 8:27, but bass say it´s 3:30.

i´ve seen in xmplay that there's an hub entry which goes from 1 to 3, so
the track seems to be divided into 3 parts !?
is there anyway to detect this within bass?

Patrice

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr '04 - 16:16 »
About UMX...

I remember now that I did remove it from the list of audio files that could be played with BASS.DLL because I had several reports from users that it didn't work  :-[

I didn't remember that when I started this thread.
I must getting old now, hence the memory leak  ::)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr '04 - 16:02 »
i´ve seen in xmplay that there's an hub entry which goes from 1 to 3, so
the track seems to be divided into 3 parts !?
is there anyway to detect this within bass?

There's not a simple "tell me if there are multiple sub-songs" function call, but it is possible to detect...

Create a decoding channel of the file, check the number of orders (BASS_MusicGetLength) and create an array that size (0 initialized), set a BASS_SYNC_POS sync for every position (param=-1), and then start decoding, marking off the orders in your SYNCPROC. When you detect a loop, jump (BASS_ChannelSetPosition) to the first "unplayed" order, and continue decoding. Repeat until all the orders have been processed. After that you should know how many subsongs there are, and their starting positions.

To speed up the process, you could use a very low sample rate when you create the decoding channel. You could also use the BASS_MUSIC_NOSAMPLE flag (if you're not going to be using the decoding channel in the actual playing of the file).

About UMX...

I remember now that I did remove it from the list of audio files that could be played with BASS.DLL because I had several reports from users that it didn't work  :-[

Please upload any troublesome files...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Patrice

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr '04 - 18:01 »
Ian

It was with version prior with 2.0 (1.8 I think) I didn't check with version 2.0. Will try to put my hand on an UMX file an try again with 2.0.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr '04 - 18:06 by Patrice »

NyGL

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr '04 - 17:33 »
hi,

I reported umx playing bug to DCoder.

For some files with problème see your FTP ftp://ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/ Spire.umx and Surface.umx (from Unreal original soundtrack)

I did try with v2.0 of bass : :-[

for some other files... ask.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr '04 - 11:46 »
What's the problem you're having with those 2 files? They seem to load & play fine here.

NyGL

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr '04 - 22:49 »
yes they play fine but bass detect a song of 3:30min (for spire.umx) but it is a 7:20min long! The player stops at 3:30.

If you play it with basstest.exe u cannot hear the file looping but it does. (play it twice in the same time. One with bassplayer the other with winamp+umx plugin)
« Last Edit: 28 Apr '04 - 22:52 by NyGL »

ultramax

« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr '04 - 23:12 »
Hi, there's no problem with that file, the real problem (but it's no problem at all  ;D) is the file have various subsongs, so it will only play the main song (the ingame music) the rest will not, it will jump those music "patterns"!

Try to start the song from Order 1 and not 0, you'll ear a "secret music"  ;D

I hope it help you and sorry my english!

UltraMAX.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr '04 - 18:59 »
yes they play fine but bass detect a song of 3:30min (for spire.umx) but it is a 7:20min long! The player stops at 3:30.

As ultramax says, there are sub-songs, but they are not part of the first song - you need to seek/jump to them. I mentioned a method to detect sub-songs above.