Author Topic: RSS feed  (Read 5374 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
RSS feed
« on: 29 Oct '09 - 16:40 »
To get with the times, the "Welcome" page has been updated to include an RSS feed, which people can subscribe to, to be informed of updates. I have never really used RSS before, so please let me know if there is anything about it that could be improved.

The plan is for the RSS feed to replace the mailing list. The mailing list policy has always been to only announce major new releases (eg. vX.X and not vX.X.X) to avoid flooding people with emails. But as the software has matured, vX.X releases have become less frequent, so the mailing list has become very quiet. I see the RSS feed as a nice way for people to keep up-to-date with even minor releases, without having their mailbox flooded.

Dotpitch

Re: RSS feed
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct '09 - 18:34 »
I have never really used RSS before, so please let me know if there is anything about it that could be improved.
The feed works properly. It does look rather simple with just one line of text per entry, perhaps you could make some larger changelogs?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct '09 - 14:07 »
Are you referring to the look of the Welcome page or the RSS feed in particular, or both? I wasn't really sure how verbose the RSS item descriptions should be, but some guides that I read suggested that they should be short. That's one reason an RSS feed seemed ideal, as the Welcome page news items have always been quite brief :)

Still, I'll see if the items can be padded-out a little.

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct '09 - 14:22 »
Are you referring to the look of the Welcome page or the RSS feed in particular, or both? I wasn't really sure how verbose the RSS item descriptions should be, but some guides that I read suggested that they should be short.
I ment the feed in particular. The front page should stay simple, but the feed can do a lot more than just mentioning there's a new version. Ofcourse, it's up to you how much time you want to spend on it ;).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct '09 - 16:38 »
The thing is the Welcome page simply reads the feed itself, so they can't have different content. That is without extra time being spent :)

SoundMike

« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec '09 - 07:22 »
I don't know much about RSS feeds, and this is the first and only RSS feed I've subscribed to. How is it meant to work? I noticed when I went to the BASS welcome page that there is a new version of BASSenc, but I didn't receive any automated notification of this. Should I? I see the info if I click on the RSS feed icon in my browser, but I thought something was meant to happen automatically.

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec '09 - 11:37 »
I don't know much about RSS feeds, and this is the first and only RSS feed I've subscribed to. How is it meant to work? I noticed when I went to the BASS welcome page that there is a new version of BASSenc, but I didn't receive any automated notification of this. Should I? I see the info if I click on the RSS feed icon in my browser, but I thought something was meant to happen automatically.
You should subscribe to the feed with your feedreader, which will then periodically check the feed and notify you of any new messages. Most browsers have a built-in feedreader, in IE8 for example it is located next to the Favorites-tab on the Favorites Center.

SoundMike

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec '09 - 11:49 »
You should subscribe to the feed with your feedreader, which will then periodically check the feed and notify you of any new messages. Most browsers have a built-in feedreader, in IE8 for example it is located next to the Favorites-tab on the Favorites Center.
I do have that set. I use IE8 and under the 'Feeds' tab I have 'Microsoft Feeds' and 'Un4seen Developments'.

I've just looked at the IE8 Help, searching for RSS, and it says under "How do I view a feed": "When you visit a webpage, the Feeds button will change color, letting you know that feeds are available. Click the Feeds button, and then click the feed you want to see." So this implies I have to visit the Un4seen Developments web page to know that a feed is available. Can't say I noticed the change of color when I did so, but that may have been because I didn't know to look for it.

Dotpitch

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec '09 - 12:59 »
I've just looked at the IE8 Help, searching for RSS, and it says under "How do I view a feed": "When you visit a webpage, the Feeds button will change color, letting you know that feeds are available. Click the Feeds button, and then click the feed you want to see." So this implies I have to visit the Un4seen Developments web page to know that a feed is available. Can't say I noticed the change of color when I did so, but that may have been because I didn't know to look for it.
If there are new messages, the entry on the Feeds tab is shown in bold (which is not mentioned in the Help for some reason), so you don't have to visit the site.