Author Topic: Empty Playlist  (Read 5132 times)

masster

Empty Playlist
« on: 7 Nov '13 - 23:22 »
hi
I have a folder with 187 *.IT files. When I try adding them to playlist, I end up with an empty playlist. If I add less files, things go right. Is there a maximum number of files that can be added? If not, what is wrong? I am uson XMPlayer 3.7 on XP PRO SP3 with 4GB RAM.

Dotpitch

Re: Empty Playlist
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov '13 - 07:01 »
How do you add them to the playlist? Windows has a limitation on the number of files it can accept in the Open File-dialog, but drag-and-dropping or adding the whole folder (right-click to Open-button) should work.

masster

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov '13 - 09:43 »
I added the files like so: I opened first the playlist editor, then I clicked on Add button, then I selected all files inside the folder and clicked Open. This is the most natural way to create a playlist. Winamp works that way without a glitch. It's not like I tried to open and play 187 files at once, I just CREATED A LIST.  XMPlayer fails, it ends up with an empty playlist and without any error message. That is a bug wherever you look at it, and you know it. Yeah, right clicking the Open button to add the folder worked, but that is not an excuse for covering the bug above.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov '13 - 12:57 »
Yeah, right clicking the Open button to add the folder worked, but that is not an excuse for covering the bug above.

You were asked how you created your issue.  From that, you jumped all the way up to accusing people of trying to hide a bug.

Nice attitude, dude.  That's the way to go through life and get things done, right?

masster

« Reply #4 on: 8 Nov '13 - 16:31 »
I KNOW when people try to pull my leg. Did I hurt your feelings? Sheesh... what is wrong with you? Too stressed or too baby? Way to go for being sensible and full of compassion for people giving lame explanations instead of admitting XMplay has this errors interception issue since version 3.1. Well done, be sympathetic and understanding towards stupidity but cry me a river when I tell others they confuse opening for play hundreds of files with creating a list. If still not happy, sue me for being blunt. At least I don't bullshit people.

Bottom line, that is a bug, regardless of having a working, hidden, non ergonomic way of adding a folder to a playlist.

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 8 Nov '13 - 22:08 »
Yeah, right clicking the Open button to add the folder worked ...
Ok, that rules out dodgy files, broken plugins and other mischief, and you can still play your music :).

I added the files like so: I opened first the playlist editor, then I clicked on Add button, then I selected all files inside the folder and clicked Open. ...  it ends up with an empty playlist and without any error message.
Ah yes, as I expected. A fix which would allow adding a infinite number of files (on an infinitely long path) would be very nice, but an error message would be a very helpful indication for the current situation indeed, I agree.

saga

« Reply #6 on: 8 Nov '13 - 23:17 »
It should actually be possible to support "infinitely" many files, it's all a matter of how much of space XMPlay reserves for the filenames to be received. Most importantly, I don't think the WinAPI would return 0 files if not all of them would fit into the reserved space. Win95 had a limit of 2048 characters for this space, but this is safe to ignore since its predecessors were released, so it's easily doable to get hundreds of files from a file dialog.

masster

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov '13 - 00:18 »
Nobody asked for an infinite number of files added to playlist. I would be totally satisfied if XMplayer would have a limit of let's say 1,000 files. Of course with 2 conditions: to say it clearly in features list, help or faq, and to pop a message if limit is reached saying "Maximum files limit reached, only first 1,000 files were added to playlist." I don't see what such big deal is to create a (more or less) text file (XML maybe) with data from audio files...

saga

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov '13 - 00:27 »
Nobody asked for an infinite number of files added to playlist.
It is a good software usability principle to generally answer "how many things should this software component support?" with "as many as the system can support". Obviously that number isn't infinite (hence the quotes in my previous post), but "close enough". Why should XMPlay only support 1000 files if it could just as well support 1001, 1100 or 111111 files? Just in case it wasn't obvious enough yet: Just imagine that you want to open a folder containing 1002 IT files next time. If XMPlay didn't support "infinitely" many files, you'd just come back to the forum, open yet another harsh thread and demand this to be fixed.

"Maximum files limit reached, only first 1,000 files were added to playlist."
First off, message boxes like that are bad usability. Second, as I said before, XMPlay would have to pass a buffer to the WinAPI file dialog and then the WinAPI will fill as many files into that buffer as it can. XMPlay cannot know if the user really selected 1001 files while there are only 1000 files in the buffer. Indeed, XMPlay can ask the WinAPI how big the buffer should be while the user is making the selection (by monitoring the CDN_SELCHANGE message) so that it's never too small, but I'm rather sure it doesn't do that right now.

I don't see what such big deal is to create a (more or less) text file (XML maybe) with data from audio files...
I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it if you stopped your condescending and patronizing tone. What's so difficult about "don't be a dick"? Something doesn't work the way you expect it, fine, we've all gone through this. However, there's absolutely no need to insult the forum regulars who were actually trying to help you. Dotpitch asked you how to reproduce the problem so that we can better understand the problem you're facing, and not to hide a possible bug in XMPlay or whatever you might thought.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov '13 - 00:31 by saga »

Dotpitch

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov '13 - 08:54 »
Nobody asked for an infinite number of files added to playlist. I would be totally satisfied if XMplayer would have a limit of let's say 1,000 files.
I asked for it. As saga said, the limit should be imposed by the system or the code, not by what we want right now. It would be a pity to not support 2000 files if it's just as easy to implement.

masster

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov '13 - 12:28 »
Just for the record: I mentioned "1,000 files working all the time" just because it's better than an unknown number of files added resulting in an empty playlist. But saga the bleeding heart, being equally a dick by his own standards chose to pick on my random 1,000 files.

I suggest sticking to solutions for the bug instead of ranting on self-invented psychological wounds from forum replies. saga and all alike, stop being pussies and fainting on any blunt opinion. Winamp added zillions of files from the beginning of the project yet we sit on our asses because some fairies feel offended...

saga

« Reply #11 on: 9 Nov '13 - 12:38 »
Please point out the exact passages in my post where I was being "a dick", "a pussy" or whatever, I'm curious to see them. Oh wait, you can't because you're just here for the mud-throwing. I wasn't picking on you, I was giving purely technical background information (for Ian or anyone else interested in the problem) and reasons why supporting an arbitrary number of files is a bad idea usability-wise. The last time I checked, pointing out bad solutions isn't equal to "being a dick".
Do you really think insulting people will get you anywhere? Just a hint: It won't.
« Last Edit: 9 Nov '13 - 12:47 by saga »

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #12 on: 9 Nov '13 - 18:11 »
Wattsa matter? You mean to tell me that "Lord and Master" was already taken as a user-name here?

masster

« Reply #13 on: 9 Nov '13 - 22:35 »
saga
I would make a drawing for you, but then somebody would have to explain it to you. You wasted one more useless reply on this topic. I got it, you don't have any solution. Why don't you just fuck off and ignore this topic? You keep trolling in here OFF-TOPIC  without anything constructive to say. Rest assured, I don't count on your help, IQ, or advice. You failed miserably on all. I am not expecting you to understand anything I said, so bring it on, I am digging your grave already, you woos. Meanwhile XMplayer is still buggy.

piovrauz

« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov '13 - 17:07 »
Well, let's keep this polite and constructive, and let's try to iron out the "bug" or limit, whatever it is.
I did a bit of tests, and it doesn't seem to be restricted to .it files, OS or RAM size.
I'm on win7, 6GB of RAM, XMPlay version is 3.7.0.46, files are a mix of .mod/s3m/xm/it modules: I've got around 600 of those.
I have no mp3 to try this on, but I suaspect it'll be the same.
If I load all of them with the add button in the playlist editor (starting with an empty playlist) I get an empty playlist.
If I load only 212 of them, the playlist loads fine.
If I load all 600 "manually" on the playlist (drag&drop) or open a saved playlist, all works fine.

@masster: if Dotpitch asks a questions o suggest someone to try something, it's usually something pertinent and useful. I did observe it many times (even firsthand, previous post XD).
Second, rember to be respectful of ppl / on forums, even if you think you are right and they aren't. Your manners will always influence how ppl perceive you, and it's only your responsability.
Also, it's not "xmplayer", but "XMPLAY".
And lastly, Winamps still crashes on some modules, while XMPlay plays them fine... I may have zillion of featuress, but the mod plugin is still buggy.

This said, if Ian could give a look at this I'lll be happy -even if I never load files that way-. Prrrfection, prrrfection says my cat! ;)
« Last Edit: 11 Nov '13 - 17:18 by piovrauz »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov '13 - 17:37 »
The file selector result is currently restricted to 10000 characters (it will fail if that's exceeded). I'll raise that in the next update.

piovrauz

« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov '13 - 20:07 »
Oh, so that means the folder depths matters too?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov '13 - 15:49 »
The path length won't generally make a big difference (unless it's extremely long). The file selector result contains the path followed by all of the selected filenames.

piovrauz

« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov '13 - 16:15 »
oh, ok. My "test" had all of themodules in C:\, so there wasn't a -long- path anyway. XD

Rah'Dick

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov '13 - 15:19 »
@Ian: Just a question, because I'm curious.
Do you ever ban someone from this forum because of their unprovoked rudeness?

@masster:
Just as a clarification: XMPlay is a free piece of software that Mr. Ian Luck has written in his spare time, without any compensation whatsoever.

As with all things that you did not pay for:
You don't get to complain, it's just that simple.

Reporting bugs in a friendly, inquiring and informative manner: yes. (This is the preferred way, because we are all communicative human beings.)
Having no clue about software development and rudely demanding things to be fixed: no. (Nobody on this forum is being paid to be here.)

Deal with it.

piovrauz

« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov '13 - 16:57 »
I'd add that even with paid SW you don't really get to complaing much, after all you sign a license designed to cover SW devs assess (oh, so vulgar lnguage).
With XMPlay you got a nice piece of free SW, and the dev often implements desired function to it for free (I have proof of thist, hehe).
Oh, I forgot to say that there's no adware in XMPlay, so common in free SW nowadays, and I really appreciate that.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov '13 - 15:54 »
@Ian: Just a question, because I'm curious.
Do you ever ban someone from this forum because of their unprovoked rudeness?

I don't recall any so far, but a ban would be considered if someone was persistently obnoxious. There have been the occasional rude posts in the past, but the posters didn't hang around long so there was no need for banning.