Author Topic: xmplay under wine cannot play mp3 streams  (Read 3056 times)

gardelvis

xmplay under wine cannot play mp3 streams
« on: 10 Jan '10 - 12:04 »
Hi Guys !!!

I' ve been using xmplay under wine ( Ubuntu Studio OS ) for a long time and everything is right but for a little problem I' m trying to resolve and that is that I cannot play mp3 streams under wine 1.1.35 ( the problem appeared in wine version 1.1.29 when they changed the encoding of mp3s to an external library which one can install in linux and that is libmpg123 ( or something else...)

The subject is that I really want to play mp3 streams under xmplay because of the quality of sound it provides

Anybody can help me or suggest something ...?

Thanks in advance

Gardelvis

Dotpitch

Re: xmplay under wine cannot play mp3 streams
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan '10 - 12:59 »
... I cannot play mp3 streams under wine 1.1.35 (the problem appeared in wine version 1.1.29 when they changed the encoding of mp3s to an external library which one can install in linux and that is libmpg123).
Are you talking about MP3 files or MP3 ShoutCast streams? Do they work properly in other players? XMPlay has its own MP3 decoder, so it's probably not related to the packages WINE uses to decode MP3s.

KaoDome

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan '10 - 22:58 »
If mp3 encoding was changed there (in Wine) shouldn't be any problem when decoding if it was Wine's fault.

I can confirm XMPlay 3.5.0.4 doesn't play shoutcast streams under Wine version 1.1.36 in Arch Linux (at least the ones I've tried). Winamp 5.571 can play them fine in the same machine.

P.S.: This one is a stream you may try to test http://94.23.8.71:8000 (96 Kbps MP3)
« Last Edit: 15 Jan '10 - 22:06 by KaoDome »

gardelvis

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan '10 - 02:17 »
Hi guys !!!

First of all , thanks for your replies - The problem is that XMPlay ( the same happens with  Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player 9 and Jet Audio) cannot play shoutcast streams. ( Other Players like Foobar 2000 and VLC can play shoutcast streams properly right )

I think the problem is related to some dll not included in Wine after 1.1.29 and it seems that is a matter of communications , since I've installed ALL CODECS recommended by Wine HQ web site ( these are Real Alternative K-LITE Codecs, Indeo, ffdshow and xvid )

Also I have tried to play the URL posted by KaoDome and XMPLAY plays nothing.

If you have any other suggestions it will be welcome.

Thanks

Gardelvis

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan '10 - 14:13 »
I can confirm XMPlay 3.5.0.4 doesn't play shoutcast streams under Wine version 1.1.36 in Arch Linux (at least the ones I've tried). Winamp 5.571 can play them fine in the same machine.
Does XMPlay show some error messages? Or just a red line through the playlist entry? Instantly, or after 30 seconds? If you check for updates (Options and stuff > Miscellaneous), does it work?
I think the problem is related to some dll not included in Wine after 1.1.29 and it seems that is a matter of communications
What DLL would that be? WSOCK32, WININET, or another one? I don't really feel like digging through the WINE changelog.

gardelvis

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan '10 - 20:17 »
HI, DotPitch

Xmplay puts a red line INMEDIATELY - It doesn´t show any error and updates through options does not work - Does that help ?

Regards

Gardelvis
« Last Edit: 15 Jan '10 - 20:21 by gardelvis »

KaoDome

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan '10 - 22:05 »
Hmm... I don't know how dynamic libraries are loaded running programs in Wine, but if it looks for them in the program's directory I don't think it's a DLL problem. I've run XMPlay right from a System32 directory (Windows 7 one) and the same behaviour: trying to play the stream a double red line across the entry appears (instantly, although I think I remember it took some seconds the other night... but I was connected to another network with very bad connectivity), no error messages shown.

The update option does work, running a 3.5 version returns the "no updates" message and running a 3.4 returns the appropriate message.

Dotpitch

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan '10 - 23:23 »
The update option does work, running a 3.5 version returns the "no updates" message and running a 3.4 returns the appropriate message.
So it's not a problem with the network connection... Hmm... Do you have any possibility to monitor network traffic coming through WINE? Or perhaps Ian should send you a debug version.

[edit]
Btw, is there a firewall in WINE?
[/edit]
« Last Edit: 15 Jan '10 - 23:26 by Dotpitch »

KaoDome

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan '10 - 10:04 »
Do you have any possibility to monitor network traffic coming through WINE?

I don't use Linux as my primary system nor XMPlay in Linux regularly (mostly because of compatibility issues using it through Wine) but when I saw the thread I decided to test it too. I'll find out how to monitor filtered network traffic and update this post.

Btw, is there a firewall in WINE?

Hmm.. I don't really know, but as far as I know Wine doesn't provide a firewall. You should configure iptables properly or use a firewall program for such purpose.

EDIT: Playing SHOUTcast streams works using CrossOver (version 8, professional edition) instead of Wine which makes me think that it may be Wine's fault (but with Winamp playing them fine using Wine makes me think the opposite...).
« Last Edit: 16 Jan '10 - 13:40 by KaoDome »