Author Topic: BASS for iOS (iPhone/iPad)  (Read 499151 times)

StephBel

Re: BASS for iOS (iPhone/iPad)
« Reply #1075 on: 23 Sep '15 - 16:00 »
Hi Ian,

Don't you have an issue with 64bits release?
I upgraded to the last version (from 1st page) and everthings is working fine on debug on all tested devices.
But in release, I got very strange behaviors on 64 bits iPads (32 bits iPads are working fine).

I think the issue is on fft results.

Steph.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep '15 - 16:50 by StephBel »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1076 on: 23 Sep '15 - 17:45 »
I'll look into that and get back to you. From what you say, I guess the problem is in BASS_ChannelGetData when using a BASS_DATA_FFT flag?

StephBel

« Reply #1077 on: 24 Sep '15 - 08:23 »
Yes I think so.

Ckouta

« Reply #1078 on: 24 Sep '15 - 11:04 »
Hi!

Do you think that BASS will support for TVOS soon?
I'm already using it in my iOS and OS X application, and I'd like to use the same audio engine for the tvos version.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1079 on: 24 Sep '15 - 16:27 »
Don't you have an issue with 64bits release?
I upgraded to the last version (from 1st page) and everthings is working fine on debug on all tested devices.
But in release, I got very strange behaviors on 64 bits iPads (32 bits iPads are working fine).

I think the issue is on fft results.

I did a little test of BASS_ChannelGetData on a 64-bit iPad, by playing a test tone and inspecting the FFT result, and it seemed to be fine. Please describe the problem that you are seeing in the FFT result there, and if the problem is happening with a particular file, please also upload that here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Do you think that BASS will support for TVOS soon?

I haven't looked into that yet, but will be doing so.

StephBel

« Reply #1080 on: 24 Sep '15 - 17:15 »

I did a little test of BASS_ChannelGetData on a 64-bit iPad, by playing a test tone and inspecting the FFT result, and it seemed to be fine. Please describe the problem that you are seeing in the FFT result there, and if the problem is happening with a particular file, please also upload that here:

[ftp]ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/[ftp]

OK. It's only happening in release, so I'll have to modify my logs to get you more information.

puzzler

« Reply #1081 on: 24 Sep '15 - 23:54 »
I'm also interested in bitcode for iOS. Any news on it?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1082 on: 25 Sep '15 - 16:22 »
I'm currently looking into bitcode.

Ckouta

« Reply #1083 on: 30 Sep '15 - 07:45 »
Did you start to have a look for tvos?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1084 on: 30 Sep '15 - 17:20 »
Started, yes. Finished, no :) ... I think there may be something ready to try later this week.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1085 on: 2 Oct '15 - 16:25 »
Here's something for you to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass-tvos.zip

You will need to link with the AVFoundation and AudioToolbox frameworks in your project. The audio session config options (BASS_CONFIG_IOS_XXX) are currently unimplemented. Everything else should be working, but it has barely been tested so far, so please report how you get on with it.

Ckouta

« Reply #1086 on: 5 Oct '15 - 08:00 »
Thanks. I will try it soon!

edb

« Reply #1087 on: 6 Oct '15 - 02:08 »
Hi.  I'm recompiling a project from about two years ago (worked fine two years ago and is on the appstore),  but now I get a compilation error when BASS tries to load caf files. Oddly, it loads wav files fine. These lines give me a __cxa_throw error in BASS_SampleLoad:

Code: [Select]
filename = [mainBundle pathForResource:@"paint_splat2.caf" ofType:nil];
sound_paintSplat2 = BASS_SampleLoad(FALSE,[filename UTF8String],0,0,8,BASS_SAMPLE_OVER_POS);

I'm trying it out in Xcode 6.4 and 7.0.1 on an iPhone 5s and 6s.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: 6 Oct '15 - 03:18 by edb »

Ned

« Reply #1088 on: 6 Oct '15 - 05:22 »
Note that BASS and the add-ons are provided as static libraries, because dynamic libraries aren't allowed on the iPhone. Both "device" (armv6/armv7/armv7s/arm64) and "simulator" (i386/x86_64) builds are supported (the linker will extract the appropriate code from the libraries). To include BASS in your project, the LIBBASS.A file should be added to the "Link Binary With Libraries" branch. You will also need to add the following frameworks to the project: AudioToolbox, SystemConfiguration, CFNetwork, Accelerate, CoreMIDI (if using BASSMIDI). The "Other Linker Flags" setting should also include "-lstdc++" when using BASS_FX or BASS_APE.

The plugin system is supported, but a little differently due to the lack of dynamic libraries. For example, if you want to load BASSFLAC and BASSWV as plugins, you can do so like this (after adding LIBBASSFLAC.A and LIBBASSWV.A to your project)...

I realize that OS X uses the .dylib version of libbass, although I'm wondering if there's a static version available (like basslib.a for iOS) that is compatible with OS X? It would be a nice option to compile basslib into my executable similar to how iOS does without the need for a separate .dylib.

Is this possible? Thanks in advance :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1089 on: 6 Oct '15 - 17:45 »
Hi.  I'm recompiling a project from about two years ago (worked fine two years ago and is on the appstore),  but now I get a compilation error when BASS tries to load caf files. Oddly, it loads wav files fine. These lines give me a __cxa_throw error in BASS_SampleLoad:

Code: [Select]
filename = [mainBundle pathForResource:@"paint_splat2.caf" ofType:nil];
sound_paintSplat2 = BASS_SampleLoad(FALSE,[filename UTF8String],0,0,8,BASS_SAMPLE_OVER_POS);

I'm trying it out in Xcode 6.4 and 7.0.1 on an iPhone 5s and 6s.  Any ideas?

That's strange. Are you getting the problem during compilation or did you mean to say at runtime? Do you get the same problem if you try to open the file with BASS_StreamCreateFile instead? If it is a compilation error, please post the full error message. If it's a runtime problem, please upload the CAF file in question to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

I realize that OS X uses the .dylib version of libbass, although I'm wondering if there's a static version available (like basslib.a for iOS) that is compatible with OS X?

No, I'm afraid there aren't any static versions of the OSX libraries available.

Ned

« Reply #1090 on: 7 Oct '15 - 03:31 »
Hi Ian, thanks for the quick response; I presume that a static library would be the only way to compile BASS into the executable?

In light of that, if you ever decide to create a static version of libbass for OS X I'd be more than happy to test it for you :)

~ Ned

Ckouta

« Reply #1091 on: 8 Oct '15 - 10:17 »
Here's something for you to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass-tvos.zip

You will need to link with the AVFoundation and AudioToolbox frameworks in your project. The audio session config options (BASS_CONFIG_IOS_XXX) are currently unimplemented. Everything else should be working, but it has barely been tested so far, so please report how you get on with it.

Looks good for me. Also, are BASS_fb and BASS_mix supporting tvos?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1092 on: 8 Oct '15 - 17:28 »
I presume that a static library would be the only way to compile BASS into the executable?

I haven't tried it myself, but I guess it would be possible to embed DYLIB files inside an executable and have it extract and load them dynamically at runtime, like can be done with DLLs on Windows. I don't think there is much reason to embed libraries within the executable on OSX though, as an ".app" file is actually a directory containing a bunch of files (including libraries), ie. it isn't a single executable file anyway.

Looks good for me. Also, are BASS_fb and BASS_mix supporting tvos?

Great. A tvOS version of the BASSmix add-on for you to try has now been added to the package above.

PatriciaMac

« Reply #1093 on: 9 Oct '15 - 18:24 »
Hello

i was wondering if you managed to use that Bass version with XCode 7.  It there a setting to change somewhere ?

thank you!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1094 on: 12 Oct '15 - 12:59 »
Are you referring to the tvOS version? If so, I believe Xcode 7.1 is needed to create tvOS apps.

PatriciaMac

« Reply #1095 on: 12 Oct '15 - 16:22 »
No just iOS. I am having link problems with bass on the simulator. ( worked fine with xcode 6 i think)

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "_BASS_ChannelGetData", referenced from:
  "_BASS_ChannelGetLevel", referenced from:
etc..
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

thank you !!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1096 on: 12 Oct '15 - 17:26 »
Oh, that's strange. Do you happen to be using an old LIBBASS.A version? Support for the x86_64 simulator architecture wasn't included initially, but was added about a year ago. You can check what architectures are supported by running "file libbass.a" in a Terminal window.

Brizzly

« Reply #1097 on: 12 Oct '15 - 20:41 »
Hello Ian,
I work with PatriciaMac so I can give you a fast answer on that:)

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64 <-- seems like 64 bits Mac OS

file libbass.a
libbass.a: Mach-O universal binary with 5 architectures
libbass.a (for architecture armv7):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture armv7s):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture armv6):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture i386):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture arm64):   current ar archive random library

puzzler

« Reply #1098 on: 13 Oct '15 - 11:35 »
Any news for bitcode for iOS?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #1099 on: 13 Oct '15 - 16:30 »
file libbass.a
libbass.a: Mach-O universal binary with 5 architectures
libbass.a (for architecture armv7):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture armv7s):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture armv6):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture i386):   current ar archive random library
libbass.a (for architecture arm64):   current ar archive random library

That does look like an old library (pre-x86_64 introduction) is being used. Please download the latest version from the 1st post and see if you still get the problem with it.

Any news for bitcode for iOS?

Nothing definite yet. My main concern is that bitcode is easier to reverse engineer. Another concern is that it may become harder to debug problems as the code running on a user's device may be different to what the developer has. As bitcode currently isn't mandatory, I'm inclined to wait and see how it goes for now.