Author Topic: Spam Attack  (Read 4533 times)

Rich Nagel

Spam Attack
« on: 10 Apr '10 - 22:32 »
To the moderators:

Apparently we're being hit by a massive spam attack. Surf here ->http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?action=mlist;sort=registered;start=0;desc and look at all of the new members, and then look at their signature lines. Nothing but pure spammers.

Me thinks that several good slaps (or possibly a two by four) upside the head are in order.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr '10 - 22:40 by Rich Nagel »

Pike84

Re: Spam Attack
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr '10 - 23:09 »
Yeah, sad stuff... I even got fooled by that "Hi!" thread myself (though I'd had a few beers :P).

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr '10 - 08:32 »
Wow, seeing how many spam-members registered (some 120), we're actually lucky it stops at ~20 posts per day. Ian has deleted some profiles, but they keep coming back.

Rich Nagel

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr '10 - 08:46 »
Does the forum require email verification when creating a new user account? 'Tis been eons since I first joined, and I don't really remember.

Not sure if that would help all that much though.

Also, sure wish that I had a "Virtual Whap Upside the Head" feature/button in my web browser LOL!

Dotpitch

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr '10 - 10:03 »
Does the forum require email verification when creating a new user account? 'Tis been eons since I first joined, and I don't really remember.
Yes, and there's an image verification.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr '10 - 11:29 »
Yep, it's gotten a bit silly recently: there have been over 50 registrations per day for the purpose of signature spam. To discourage that, signatures are now hidden from guests (including search engines).

Rich Nagel

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr '10 - 11:41 »
To discourage that, signatures are now hidden from guests (including search engines).

Sounds like a good idea, hopefully that will cut down the amount of spammers :)

If it doesn't though, maybe you could temporarily disable sigs altogether. Once the spammers have lost interest, you could always re-enable them.

saga

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr '10 - 12:04 »
SEO spam sucks, to say the least. Have you tried the "Advanced Visual Verification" mod yet? It might be a bit better than the default SMF stuff.

Jace

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr '10 - 16:11 »
Eheh. Reported those things just on a hunch, had no clue of their signaturespams, as I've them hidden for everyone. X)