Author Topic: "Play All" does  (Read 4777 times)

Philidor11

"Play All" does
« on: 19 Nov '10 - 19:59 »
Windows 7, 64-bit; latest XMPlay.

I made XMPlay my default Mp3 player.

When I press Play All for a Symphony, all 4 movements open and start playing at once.  Unusual sound.

Has anyone else had the same problem?  Is the problem with Windows?

Thanks.

Dotpitch

Re: "Play All" does
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov '10 - 20:16 »
When I press Play All for a Symphony, all 4 movements open and start playing at once.
Do you mean you opened a folder in Explorer and you push the 'Play all'-button on the toolbar? Windows probably has some weird specific way of passing all the files in a folder. Have you tried unticking Options and stuff > Miscellaneous > 'Allow multiple instances'? Note that you can also add an option to the context menu of a folder, so you don't have to use the 'Play all'-button.

Philidor11

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov '10 - 20:49 »
Yes, I'm referring to the Play All button on the toolbar.

Unchecking "Allow multiple instances" has no effect.

Though XMPlay is the default player, right-clicking on a folder still lists Play with WMP only.

Your suggestions appreciated.

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov '10 - 21:33 »
Unchecking "Allow multiple instances" has no effect.
What? If you uncheck that box, close XMPlay and click the 'Play all'-button, do you still get multiple XMPlays playing at the same time?

Though XMPlay is the default player, right-clicking on a folder still lists Play with WMP only.
You have to tick Options and stuff > Integration > 'Folders' for it to appear, this has nothing to do with the files being MP3s.

Rich Nagel

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov '10 - 21:46 »
(sorry, double post)
« Last Edit: 19 Nov '10 - 21:49 by Rich Nagel »

Rich Nagel

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov '10 - 21:49 »
I've noticed a similar problem, but not using XMPlay.

I'm running WXPPro/SP2, and have my Sound Blaster Live's player "Creative Playcenter" associated for all MIDI/MP3/WAV files, etc... The similar problem that I have: many times (but strangely enough, not always) when clicking on "Play all" or "Play selection" within WinDoZe Explorer (i.e. "My Computer", etc...), the file(s) will be simultaneously opened (and played) with the Windows Media Player, AS WELL AS the Creative Playcenter at the same time.

A strange thing, but maybe your problem is somehow related to the Windows Exploder, and not XMPlay itself (?).
« Last Edit: 19 Nov '10 - 21:56 by Rich Nagel »

Philidor11

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov '10 - 22:12 »
To DotPitch:

Checking Options > Integration > Folders does put "Play with XMPlay" on the right-click menu, and using that command on a folder does play the contents in the correct order.  Thank you.

However, opening the Folder and clicking "Play all" still causes all four movements to open and start playing at once.

To Rich Nagel:

It may be that "Play all" responds correctly only when WMP is the default.

But that would mean Microsoft has failed to respond to complaints, or that so few use "Play all" with other media players that complaints are rare. 

Rich Nagel

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov '10 - 01:06 »
It may be that "Play all" responds correctly only when WMP is the default.

I never thought about that before... that could very well be the case.

But that would mean Microsoft has failed to respond to complaints

Heh, what are the odds <LOL>?!

Dotpitch

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov '10 - 07:55 »
However, opening the Folder and clicking "Play all" still causes all four movements to open and start playing at once.
Just tried it here, and it seems to work properly. In Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > Associate, I assigned m3u and mp3 to be opened with XMPlay. In Options and stuff > Integration, I selected m3u and mp3, default action is set to 'add to playlist'. Clicking 'Play all' adds all files in the folder to XMPlays playlist and XMPlay starts playing the first file. Could you repeat my steps and post what happens on your machine?

Ian, Explorer also passes the m3u playllist containing the same mp3 files to XMPlay. Could you prevent it from loading those duplicates in the playlist, like with the 'Open with XMPlay'-action in the folder context menu?

Pike84

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov '10 - 10:24 »
Ian, Explorer also passes the m3u playllist containing the same mp3 files to XMPlay. Could you prevent it from loading those duplicates in the playlist, like with the 'Open with XMPlay'-action in the folder context menu?
You mean like with "Playlist -> New tracks -> No duplicates"? It seems to work fine here.

Dotpitch

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov '10 - 10:48 »
You mean like with "Playlist -> New tracks -> No duplicates"? It seems to work fine here.
No, that's not exactly what I mean. The folder context menu action (and dragging a folder on the playlist) will prevent adding duplicates within the added set even if 'No duplicates' is not ticked. I'm hoping that's possible for the 'Play all'-button (and, consequently, for dropped file sets) as well.

Philidor11

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov '10 - 14:53 »
To DotPitch:

I followed your suggestions.  "Play all" still caused 4 instances of XMPlay to open.  They didn't play because I had "Play listed tracks" set to Never.

What version of Windows do you have?

To Rich Nagel:

Both US and European regulators objected to Microsoft's advantaging the company's own software in Windows.  So if only WMP works with "Play all" and complaints were made, Microsoft would be likely to take them seriously.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov '10 - 15:10 by Philidor11 »

Dotpitch

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov '10 - 15:02 »
What version of Windows do you have?
Win7 x64 with XMPlay 3.5.1.46. (Get the stuff version here.)