Author Topic: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 222453 times)

NiZero

Re: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec '10 - 09:57 »
Using the Play All button for a symphony in a folder still produces 4 instances of XMPlay, each playing a different movement simultaneously.

May be need to uncheck this?

Philidor11

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec '10 - 12:51 »
RE:  Play All  (W7 64)

Thanks for your reply.

Allow multiple instances is unchecked.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec '10 - 16:17 »
Of cource it were deleted, but nothing happens next time - just XMPay with default settings and new xmplay.ini created.

Have you associated any filetypes with XMPlay in the Integration options page? If so, that will also prevent the welcome message. To reset that, you can delete this registry branch in REGEDIT...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay

Using the Play All button for a symphony in a folder still produces 4 instances of XMPlay, each playing a different movement simultaneously.

Is that the "Play All" button in Explorer? Trying that just now, it seems to be working fine, ie. the files were all opened in the same XMPlay instance. Did you associate the filetypes with XMPlay via its Integration options page or did you do it via Windows' options? If the latter, please try doing it again via XMPlay's Integration options.

Philidor11

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec '10 - 16:58 »
Thanks for responding.

When I open a folder containing mp3 files, the Play All button is in a line across the top reading Organize, Play, Play All...

I tried using XMPlay to associate mp3's with XMPlay.  Didn't work, despite a Restart afterwards.  I have to associate XMPlay in Windows.

Speculation:  I'm using Shark 007 codecs, Suggested Settings, which associates all media files with WMP.  I change it back to XMPlay.  Maybe the settings prevent programs other than Windows from making changes in associations.  I'll see what happens when I remove the codecs.

Didn't work.  Removing the codecs and Restarting and changing the association for mp3 within XMPlay causes the icon to change, but WMP is still the default player.  (W7 64)
« Last Edit: 30 Dec '10 - 17:20 by Philidor11 »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 31 Dec '10 - 15:35 »
I tried using XMPlay to associate mp3's with XMPlay.  Didn't work, despite a Restart afterwards.  I have to associate XMPlay in Windows.

Please clarify how it isn't working. If you re-open the Integration options, are the previously selected (and Apply'd) filetypes no longer selected? If you right-click on an MP3 file in Explorer, do you see the "Open with XMPlay" option, and if you double-click on the file, does it open with XMPlay?

Does the problem only happen with MP3, not OGG/FLAC/etc? To get some clues, please run RegEdit and export the following registry branches:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.mp3
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3

And then upload the REG files to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Philidor11

« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec '10 - 16:58 »
The file types are all selected in XMPlay.  I do see the Open with XMPlay option, but only for the folder, not an mp3 file itself.  If I click Play All inside the folder,  that's when the 4 instances start.  By the way, before clicking on an individual mp3 file the top line reads Organize, Include in Library, Share With, Play All...  I don't have an OGG or FLAC file to check; will create one.

I tried to obtain the registry entries listed with regedit and Find, and obtained no results.  I did get entries with RegFinder in JV16 PowerTools, and attempted to send them to incoming.  In case they didn't arrive, here are the exported results:  [Removed]

Double-clicking on each entry led to regedit opening.  I exported each result and put all 15 of them into a zip file in the folder copied to incoming.  Hope it worked.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan '11 - 15:14 by Philidor11 »

amit

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jan '11 - 22:40 »
Something really weird happening with the new version here.

My Operating system is windows 7 x64. I have tried a few times the new version (3.6.0.1): first upgrading from previous built (3.5.1.43) and then clean install. In all attempts the system started crawling after starting xmplay. Surprisingly closing xmplay didn't help either. The system continued to be non responsive until I did a complete restart.

sherianne

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jan '11 - 04:21 »
Hi Everyone!
I have been using XMPlay for years and consider it absolutely the best music player available. I joined the forum in 2008 and almost posted a few times. That was before the update that made large folders and huge playlists work so well, finally. At one point I was looking for something else due to problems with large lists and accents in filenames etc., all since overcome. I used MediaMonkey and 1by1for some things but XMPlay was still my main player.

XMPlay 3.6.0.1 minor Anomaly?
XP SP2.
I just tried XMplay3.6.0.1, adding the files to a clone of my 3.5.1 install as usual. It seemed fine then I noticed something unusual and reverted to 3.5.1. A track I was playing behaves quite differently in these 2 versions.

Normally, when I stop a track and press Stop again to unload it, if I then click Play, it will play. Even in 3.6 other files are fine but one track I was playing doesn't Play again via the Play button in 3.6.

I reverted to 3.5.1 and Play behavior with this track is normal.
It plays in 3.6.0.1 via double click on the file or drag and drop and can be stopped and started again normally with Stop/Pause/Play as long as it appears in the player and hasn't been unloaded. It plays without any other problems in either ver. and sounds fine.

It has (only) an IDv3.1 tag.
Length is 1h19m51s.

Track info:

Size: 112209827 bytes
Header found at: 0 bytes
Length: 4791 seconds
MPEG 1.0 layer 3
187kbit (VBR), 183414 frames
44100Hz Joint Stereo
CRCs: No
Copyrighted: No
Original: Yes
Emphasis: None

This probably isn't much to go on but I decided to bring it to your attention.
Maybe its encoder (not indicated) has a problem however the difference in behavior between the 2 ver. may be significant.

After running 3.6 I also experienced an unusual and major change in system performance and eventually had to terminate Firefox and reboot and things are back to my normal chaos. I am not sure if XMPlay 3.6 was a factor in that yet.

I am not yet aware of any important changes I will be missing in 3.6 and 3.5.1 works perfectly for me so I am not concerned about this minor whateveritis. * Support for opening URLs via DDE might be useful when I do eventually update but I already do that with single entry playlists from autohide menus.

I have used PowerPro4.8 (excellent freeware) with most of my programs for years including XMPlay and I made a small simple autohide toolbar with a bunch of buttons (with L M R button commands on each) which send shortcut Key commands to XMPlay to add some things the player's default skin UI doesn't provide. I use the default skin because I have not found one better yet. It comes up at the bottom center of the screen below where I position XMPlay and has similar colors and look.

It has controls for: Hide/Show XMPlay, position it on launch or via right-click on one of the buttons, toggle Reverb / Loop, Shuffle, Open, Clear List, system volume horizontal fader, launch new instance, del current track from list, Open, grab station IP or track info to the clipboard, launch Streamripper32 and give it the current stream IP and begin recording, Play/Pause, Mute/UnMute, launch a mini mixer and input switcher, and Shuffle. The bar lives at the bottom center of the screen and is about 2" wide x 1/2" high with labeled buttons and some with icons. I also have a main autohide bar with playlists for music and single entry stream playlists. PowerPro also helps me use a wireless mouse to control the music for speakers on my balcony when I am out there or in the yard; to control Volume with the wheel, switch tracks and Pause/Play.

Thankyou for creating such a fantastic awesome tool!

Dotpitch

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jan '11 - 06:27 »
My Operating system is windows 7 x64. I have tried a few times the new version (3.6.0.1): first upgrading from previous built (3.5.1.43) and then clean install. In all attempts the system started crawling after starting xmplay. Surprisingly closing xmplay didn't help either. The system continued to be non responsive until I did a complete restart.
That sounds really nasty. I think it may have to do with a recent change. Unfortunately, 3.6 is not around to verify it.
[edit]Is it going for anything in particular? CPU, RAM, file IO? If you close XMPlay, does it's process terminate as well?[/edit]

Normally, when I stop a track and press Stop again to unload it, if I then click Play, it will play. Even in 3.6 other files are fine but one track I was playing doesn't Play again via the Play button in 3.6.
When you unload a track and hit play, XMPlay should play the track that's currently selected in the playlist. Can you try this by opening the Extended Playlist and stopping the track?
« Last Edit: 4 Jan '11 - 07:26 by Dotpitch »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jan '11 - 13:03 »
I tried to obtain the registry entries listed with regedit and Find, and obtained no results.  I did get entries with RegFinder in JV16 PowerTools, and attempted to send them to incoming.  In case they didn't arrive, here are the exported results:

Unfortunately, that info only includes the key names and not their values. Please retry RegEdit, but without using the "Find" option; you can instead navigate to the requested branches on the left, eg. open the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" branch and then the ".mp3" branch under it (and then right-click and "Export").

Strange. If you check Task Manager after closing XMPlay, do you still see xmplay.exe in the "Processes" list? Also, does it show the CPU to be in use?

amit

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jan '11 - 16:06 »
Strange. If you check Task Manager after closing XMPlay, do you still see xmplay.exe in the "Processes" list? Also, does it show the CPU to be in use?

I agree - very strange! I don't see xmplay process after it is closed and while open there is no exceptional cpu/memory usage.

Shanyy

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jan '11 - 23:43 »
If you scroll above the volume bar, the new version steps 3 units. Maybe it's related to the system default scrolling.
I know I am cantankerous, but I liked 5 units/step version better. Is there any xmplay.ini command, which I can use for set it back?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jan '11 - 16:27 »

I agree - very strange! I don't see xmplay process after it is closed...

In that case, I'm not sure how XMPlay could be causing the problem. Are you certain that it is? If so, does something in particular trigger it, eg. starting playback? What about if you just load a clean XMPlay installation (eg. XMPLAY.EXE in a directory on its own) and close it without doing anything?

If you scroll above the volume bar, the new version steps 3 units. Maybe it's related to the system default scrolling.
I know I am cantankerous, but I liked 5 units/step version better. Is there any xmplay.ini command, which I can use for set it back?

There isn't currently an XMPLAY.INI option for that, but I'll add one :)

Sajadi

« Reply #38 on: 6 Jan '11 - 08:53 »
Sound is completly... strange... no matter which sound settings i enter in xmplay, it sounds horrible, completly low volumne and disorted - problem appeared only with this new version

Update.. forget that - seems to work, but was strange, put a fresh xmplay folder on my ipod, started this fresh one, problem was gone, started the old xmplay file set on my hd - problem was also gone.. seriously strange, but it works now, so forget that :D
« Last Edit: 6 Jan '11 - 09:01 by SaphirJD »

amit

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jan '11 - 14:20 »
In that case, I'm not sure how XMPlay could be causing the problem. Are you certain that it is? If so, does something in particular trigger it, eg. starting playback? What about if you just load a clean XMPlay installation (eg. XMPLAY.EXE in a directory on its own) and close it without doing anything?

I have narrowed down the reasons for this problem. Opening xmplay with or without any plugins doesn't cause any problem. The problem starts only  after I click the interface. Then, no matter if I close xmplay, the system continues to hang and lag until I restart.

Does it matter if I don't use aero and have my windows themes service turned off? It must be some kind of skinning system change that have taken place since previous built.

Philidor11

« Reply #40 on: 6 Jan '11 - 15:17 »
Ian, I put the 15 entries from Regedit into a zip file.  Did it arrive in incoming?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: 6 Jan '11 - 17:27 »
I have narrowed down the reasons for this problem. Opening xmplay with or without any plugins doesn't cause any problem. The problem starts only  after I click the interface. Then, no matter if I close xmplay, the system continues to hang and lag until I restart.

Does it matter if I don't use aero and have my windows themes service turned off? It must be some kind of skinning system change that have taken place since previous built.

Did the problem happen with the initial 3.6.0.0 release version too? If you're not sure, here is that version to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Also, did you have the problem with any of the 3.5 "stuff" builds?

Ian, I put the 15 entries from Regedit into a zip file.  Did it arrive in incoming?

Yep, got them, thanks.

Please try reapplying the "Associated filetypes" in XMPlay's "Integration" options page, and then export the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3" branch again (and check that "Play All" still isn't working properly). Also, what type of Windows user account are you using, ie. is it an Administrator or Standard account?

amit

« Reply #42 on: 6 Jan '11 - 18:16 »
Did the problem happen with the initial 3.6.0.0 release version too? If you're not sure, here is that version to try:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Also, did you have the problem with any of the 3.5 "stuff" builds?

In the last 3.5 stuff version I use (3.5.1.43) There is no such problem. In the 3.6.0.0 there is.

Philidor11

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jan '11 - 21:31 »
When I started, XMPlay's icon was next to the Play button.  The Play All button still played all the movements simultaneously.

In Options and stuff, I clicked the None button and Apply, then the All button and Apply.  I restarted the computer.

Now WMP is the default - no XMPlay icon - and Play All works correctly with WMP.  Open with XMPlay is available when I right-click on the folder.  I used jv16 (regedit doesn't work) to find the 3 entries requested and put them in incoming.

I'm using an Administrative account - Owner.

Hope this is useful.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan '11 - 21:39 by Philidor11 »

Bjossi

« Reply #44 on: 6 Jan '11 - 22:37 »
I am not able to reproduce this (yet), but now twice it has happened to me that XMPlay does not play the next song in the playlist, even though I have random playback disabled. When I replayed the previous track and skipped to the end, then it went to the correct track next. I wish I could provide more info but so far this is a very strange and rare one.

Dotpitch

« Reply #45 on: 7 Jan '11 - 06:20 »
I am not able to reproduce this (yet), but now twice it has happened to me that XMPlay does not play the next song in the playlist, even though I have random playback disabled. When I replayed the previous track and skipped to the end, then it went to the correct track next. I wish I could provide more info but so far this is a very strange and rare one.
You didn't accidentally queue anything (for example with the middle mouse button), did you?

Jace

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jan '11 - 10:59 »
If that's the case, you could either right-click on the repeat-button on playlist or go to 'Playlist' on Options&stuff to uncheck 'Stop at end of queue' and see if it'll happen ever again. :)

Bjossi

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jan '11 - 16:15 »
That seems to have been it, thanks. But this shortcut seems to be hardcoded, I can't find it in the shortcuts list in the options dialog. I would prefer having this disabled as I never use the queue.

Dotpitch

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jan '11 - 16:34 »
But this shortcut seems to be hardcoded, I can't find it in the shortcuts list in the options dialog.
You can change the behaviour of the mouse buttons on the Playlist page of Options and stuff (they're not shortcuts).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 7 Jan '11 - 16:47 »
In the last 3.5 stuff version I use (3.5.1.43) There is no such problem. In the 3.6.0.0 there is.

Was XMPLAY.EXE in a directory on its own in both cases?

I don't currently have any idea what the problem could be; I am unable to reproduce it, and the fact that it persists after XMPlay is no longer running is most puzzling. I think what I'll have to do is just try to narrow it down by sending you stuff to try there.

When I started, XMPlay's icon was next to the Play button.  The Play All button still played all the movements simultaneously.

In Options and stuff, I clicked the None button and Apply, then the All button and Apply.  I restarted the computer.

Now WMP is the default - no XMPlay icon - and Play All works correctly with WMP.  Open with XMPlay is available when I right-click on the folder.  I used jv16 (regedit doesn't work) to find the 3 entries requested and put them in incoming.

I'm using an Administrative account - Owner.

Hope this is useful.

OK. Those REG files seem fine, so I'm not sure what else the problem could be. You could also export the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay" registry branch, to see if anything has gone wrong in there. I don't think this stuff would be affected by the XMPlay config, but you could also try again with a fresh installation (eg. XMPLAY.EXE in a directory on its own) just in case.

Is anyone else having this "Play all" issue? It could be useful to see if there are any patterns to it. The same goes for amit's issue.