Author Topic: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 181665 times)

saga

Re: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #250 on: 25 Oct '11 - 18:50 »
It appears to have crashed while refreshing the playlist panel. For some more info on what went wrong, please do upload the dump file with the heap included.
Ok, minidump with heap has been uploaded (saga-xmplay.7z).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: 26 Oct '11 - 17:19 »
Ok, minidump with heap has been uploaded (saga-xmplay.7z).

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but it appears that the playlist panel's display index (which determines the entries that are displayed) somehow became negative, resulting in a crash as it tried to display a negative playlist entry. Here's an update with a safety check that will hopefully prevent it happening again...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

If playback is paused, pressing the apply button in output settings and devices settings will resume playback.

The update above shouldn't resume playback in that case, but it will switch to a stopped state rather than remaining paused (as the output resources are released). But stopped and paused are basically the same thing, ie. pressing the play button will resume things :)

bamf

« Reply #252 on: 26 Oct '11 - 22:32 »
There are some differences in the track info, here are the screenshots of what's going on:

That looks like the playlist wasn't processed in the "fig a" case, ie. the playlist file itself (rather than its contents) was added to XMPlay's list. Do you know how the URL was passed to XMPlay in that instance, eg. was it via the command-line or DDE or OLE? What happens if you drag'n'drop the URL (eg. the links you posted earlier) into XMPlay?

if a link for the m3u/pls is created via windows explorer's .url file and drag'n'dropped onto XMPlay via OLE it opens/streams okay

how the URL was passed to XMPlay in that instance (of the application):  streamWriter is an open-source application. it uses drop-down boxes to select launch mode in object pascal forms.  its using a simple system call with the m3u/pls appended onto the default .m3u file handler's location (and then shelled)

It looks like XMPlay is lacking some sort of recursive processing when opening playlist/URL files

I can report that MPC-HC opens the streams okay from this application but not before a small anomaly where it looks like it opens/parses the m3u/pls with errors and then finds the IP:port of the server and proceeds on.  the same thing happens when it extract the .asf from some .asx files recursively to find the IP:port of the server.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: 27 Oct '11 - 15:21 »
I'll send you a debug version to confirm what XMPlay is receiving and how.

tails_

« Reply #254 on: 3 Nov '11 - 06:43 »
Problems with winamp plugins here: then you middle-click or select "Plug-in file info" in playlist window that does either nothing or breaks playback (some plugins just jump to next track some stop producing sound)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: 3 Nov '11 - 15:29 »
Strange. Which plugin(s) are you seeing that happen with? If you're unsure which is causing the problem, please try removing them one by one until you find the culprit.

tails_

« Reply #256 on: 3 Nov '11 - 19:22 »
Found culprit! That happens then current file is archived. Also while checking each plug in i noticed next problem: if you have 2 plugins which can playback same format (nezplug & notsofatso in my case) and priority given to second one, plugin file info option from playlist window still shows info given by first plugin.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: 4 Nov '11 - 15:02 »
Here's an update to try...

Let me know if either problem persists.

tails_

« Reply #258 on: 5 Nov '11 - 12:25 »
Works fine for me, thanks :)

Suggestion on unpacking plugins: could they be told somehow which files to extract and which not to?
Basic usage: you have CD image in FLAC with CUE sheet. Then you throw archive at XMPlay you get just FLAC file without CUE sheet so skipping tracks becomes somewhat problematic

UPD: Archived NSF is played with first plug-in and format priorities change nothing here
P.S. Playing NSF file archived is pretty weird idea, but just to check :P
« Last Edit: 5 Nov '11 - 12:28 by tails_ »

saga

« Reply #259 on: 5 Nov '11 - 22:59 »
I think XMPlay disables the IT filter when a filter envelope reaches full cutoff again and resonance is disabled. In that case, returning full cutoff shouldn't change anything while the envelope is playing. Notice the subtle difference in the first pattern of the example file, directly after the filter envelope returns to full cutoff.
« Last Edit: 5 Nov '11 - 23:15 by saga »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: 8 Nov '11 - 17:28 »
Suggestion on unpacking plugins: could they be told somehow which files to extract and which not to?
Basic usage: you have CD image in FLAC with CUE sheet. Then you throw archive at XMPlay you get just FLAC file without CUE sheet so skipping tracks becomes somewhat problematic

To confirm... are you saying that when you have a FLAC file and matching CUE file in an archive, the CUE is not being loaded by XMPlay? If that is correct, it shouldn't be the case, so please upload an example troublesome archive to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

I think XMPlay disables the IT filter when a filter envelope reaches full cutoff again and resonance is disabled. In that case, returning full cutoff shouldn't change anything while the envelope is playing. Notice the subtle difference in the first pattern of the example file, directly after the filter envelope returns to full cutoff.

Subtle indeed. I was left wondering what you were talking about after the first few listens :)

Here's an update to try...

Let me know if you still see any problems with it (or find that it breaks the filters in other cases).

saga

« Reply #261 on: 8 Nov '11 - 19:10 »
Subtle indeed. I was left wondering what you were talking about after the first few listens :)
It also took me a while to figure out what XMPlay was doing wrong while encountering this situation in a real song (where this exact condition was only present for the duration of a tick, so there was a little click in the audio). But the fix seems to work and other test cases here are still working. :)

amit

« Reply #262 on: 17 Nov '11 - 18:57 »
Can "play count" sorting  in the playlist be according to the averages if this option has been selected in the library?

Thanks.

dypsis

Playback Stops
« Reply #263 on: 25 Nov '11 - 08:05 »
Sometimes when I am playing an album, playback will stop at the end of a track and not progress to the next track unless I start the track myself.

I am currently using XMPlay v3.6.0.44.  :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #264 on: 25 Nov '11 - 14:26 »
Sometimes when I am playing an album, playback will stop at the end of a track and not progress to the next track unless I start the track myself.
Can you be more specific on 'sometimes'? If it happens, is Options and stuff > 'Auto-advance' unticked? Do you have 'Stop at end of queue' ticked and do you happen to queue the album?

Pike84

« Reply #265 on: 25 Nov '11 - 14:40 »
There are three options that can prevent XMPlay advancing like that: "Stop at end of track" (right-click menu of stop button), "Stop at end of queue" and "Stop at dead track" (Options & stuff -> Playlist -> List advancing). Naturally "Auto-advance" must be ticked too.

"Stop at dead track" would be pretty obvious, so the culprit is probably one of the other two. You might check your shortcut keys, and make sure you don't have "Current tack - stop at end" tied to the same key with another option you use, or that it's not made global to a key you use elsewhere. Then there's the queue, which should be pretty easy to notice too (this one doesn't seem to have a shortcut key available yet).

Ian, you could add the shortcut key for the latter one here too, if only for completeness's sake :).

bronth

« Reply #266 on: 25 Nov '11 - 21:49 »
Not sure if it has been already suggested, but I definitely miss a simple feature found in many other players - a customizeable single-click behaviour of the tray icon. It would be really nice to get the extremely useful "Play/Pause" functionality (other options may be added later) from this common action instead of duplicating the double-click action which opens/restores the main program window. Ian, could you please add this?

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #267 on: 25 Nov '11 - 21:57 »
In the xmplay.ini:
SingleClickTray=1
Restoring to/from tray icon with single click

Additional information, such as more detailed descriptions and pertinent forum links, is available in the Illustrated Manual Section 6.2 - Secret INI settings.

BTW, also try right-clicking the tray icon.

bronth

« Reply #268 on: 25 Nov '11 - 22:09 »
Jimmy, yes, I was aware of the "secret" option (as I actually mentioned) but I would strongly prefer to stop/pause using a single click, not to close/restore. It's a very common practice and it's much more fast/convenient than using the context menu via right click.

Just For My Memory

« Reply #269 on: 26 Nov '11 - 14:49 »
XMPlay crashes (and freezes the machine) at 2:25 when playing this APE file:

07. 赵薇 - 不能和你分手.ape
http://www.mediafire.com/?dzzxrulsv3q2b73

P/S: Latest XMPlay (3.6.0.44) and APE plugin (revision 2) build.

Wonder why...?

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #270 on: 26 Nov '11 - 15:07 »
Jimmy, yes, I was aware of the "secret" option (as I actually mentioned) but I would strongly prefer to stop/pause using a single click, not to close/restore. It's a very common practice and it's much more fast/convenient than using the context menu via right click.

Sorry that I suggested the context menu solution that involves two clicks instead of just one.  I can see how that could make a difference.

Alt

« Reply #271 on: 26 Nov '11 - 18:41 »
Just For My Memory, that file is broken, freezed machine & generated errors in an another player too.
Ian, why do all files that you open in player are initially selected in playlist? I din't find a way how to disable it.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov '11 - 18:50 by Alt »

Elrinth

« Reply #272 on: 29 Nov '11 - 03:07 »
I uploaded to ftp problematic .mod-file. It simply won't load in xmplay, but winamp recognizes it and plays it.

Dotpitch

« Reply #273 on: 29 Nov '11 - 06:26 »
I uploaded to ftp problematic .mod-file. It simply won't load in xmplay, but winamp recognizes it and plays it.
Does it happen to be a 15-sample mod? Have you tried the Oldsk00l plugin?

Elrinth

« Reply #274 on: 29 Nov '11 - 07:35 »
Does it happen to be a 15-sample mod? Have you tried the Oldsk00l plugin?

Dunno, I opened 5 different songs in milkytracker and all of them had exactly 16 instruments, not all assigned however. These play back in winamp, but not in xmplay.
I did try in_oldskool before, but I'm pretty sure it crapped up other songs which xmplay otherwise would have played perfectly. I can confirm that with in_oldskool the mods are opened and played back correctly.

ps, I already posted links to these problematic songs in previous page in this thread.
« Last Edit: 29 Nov '11 - 07:49 by Elrinth »