Author Topic: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 193247 times)

saga

Re: 3.6 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #275 on: 29 Nov '11 - 08:21 »
Does it happen to be a 15-sample mod?
Dunno, I opened 5 different songs in milkytracker and all of them had exactly 16 instruments
You just answered the question yourself (yes, it's 15 not 16 samples). It's a Ultimate Soundtracker MOD, which is not supported by XMPlay.

I did try in_oldskool before, but I'm pretty sure it crapped up other songs which xmplay otherwise would have played perfectly.
XMPlay will play the files if it can, and only pass files that it can't play to in_sk00l. So maybe it was just overriding another plugin, which you can solve by renaming plugins to change their loading order.

Elrinth

« Reply #276 on: 29 Nov '11 - 08:26 »
that is great news, thank you very much!  8)

amit

« Reply #277 on: 30 Nov '11 - 14:09 »
When adding (and playing) new files while "random play order" is on , first track is selected randomly. When adding new files to a queue , first played track from it is still chosen randomly although the rest of the queue is played according to its  order. I think "random order" shouldn't apply to queue lists altogether, not even for newly queued files. First played track should remain the first on the queue.

tails_

« Reply #278 on: 10 Dec '11 - 17:19 »
Ian, may i ask about extraction of additional files from archives (CUEs, covers and various libs for PSF-like formats)
How this stuff is handled? Are filetypes just hard-coded into xmplay or reported by plug-in somehow?

Straight to the problem: I have a number of PC98 and x86k music in tracker like format, in addition to the music file itself there's also file(s) which contains digital samples and that(these) doesn't seems to be extracting from archive together with music. Can you add these filetypes to xmplay (if xmplay selects which files to extract) or what better place somewhere box for adding user filetypes for extraction?

amit

« Reply #279 on: 13 Dec '11 - 00:31 »
I have a rare problem with ASIO output. If while the player is paused I start playback in another player (foobar) , when returning to xmplay , either play , stop or closing xmplay causes Windows (7-64bit) to crash.

Is it possible to fix?

saga

« Reply #280 on: 13 Dec '11 - 10:07 »
By "Windows crashes", you mean a bluescreen? In that case, the manufacturer should fix their drivers.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: 13 Dec '11 - 17:55 »
When adding (and playing) new files while "random play order" is on , first track is selected randomly. When adding new files to a queue , first played track from it is still chosen randomly although the rest of the queue is played according to its  order. I think "random order" shouldn't apply to queue lists altogether, not even for newly queued files. First played track should remain the first on the queue.

Playback generally shouldn't start at all when adding files to the queue. I think the exception is if you use the normal "Open" option while having "Default action" set to "add to queue" and "Play listed tracks" enabled. Is that what you're using? If so, here's an update that I think should do what you want (start playback with the 1st queued file)...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Ian, may i ask about extraction of additional files from archives (CUEs, covers and various libs for PSF-like formats)
How this stuff is handled? Are filetypes just hard-coded into xmplay or reported by plug-in somehow?

Straight to the problem: I have a number of PC98 and x86k music in tracker like format, in addition to the music file itself there's also file(s) which contains digital samples and that(these) doesn't seems to be extracting from archive together with music. Can you add these filetypes to xmplay (if xmplay selects which files to extract) or what better place somewhere box for adding user filetypes for extraction?

XMPlay only extracts the file being played, and if that's opened successfully, it will then look for a matching CUE file. Additional files can be opened by plugins, eg. the MIDI plugin may look for a matching soundfont. If your example formats were handled by native XMPlay plugins, that's what they could do too :)

tails_

« Reply #282 on: 13 Dec '11 - 18:44 »
That's odd then, wanna take a look at these plugins?

Dotpitch

« Reply #283 on: 13 Dec '11 - 19:14 »
Which native plugin are you using?

amit

« Reply #284 on: 13 Dec '11 - 22:37 »
Playback generally shouldn't start at all when adding files to the queue. I think the exception is if you use the normal "Open" option while having "Default action" set to "add to queue" and "Play listed tracks" enabled. Is that what you're using? If so, here's an update that I think should do what you want (start playback with the 1st queued file)...

Yes, this is what I meant. Thanks.

By "Windows crashes", you mean a bluescreen? In that case, the manufacturer should fix their drivers.
Yes , it is the "blue screen of death". Although you are probably right and it is the drivers' fault, I was wondering if xmplay couldn't take some precaution measure to prevent it. Maybe before resuming playback (un-pause) check if the output device status have changed or something similar.

tails_

« Reply #285 on: 14 Dec '11 - 06:55 »
Dotpitch
They're not native but winamp2 plugins and if i didn't misunderstood xmplay extracts files needed by any plugins not only native.

saga

« Reply #286 on: 14 Dec '11 - 08:18 »
amit: Even if Ian could work around it, you should still report the problem to the driver manufacturer - afterall they are the source of the problem and bluescreens should never happen on a modern OS.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: 14 Dec '11 - 16:55 »
They're not native but winamp2 plugins and if i didn't misunderstood xmplay extracts files needed by any plugins not only native.

Just to clarify, only native plugins are able to ask XMPlay to extract files from archives via XMPlay's API. XMPlay by itself will only extract the file being played, ie. the file that's in the playlist entry. So your file formats of interest would need to be handled by a native plugin, in order for the plugin to be able to access the extra files that it needs for playback.

amit

« Reply #288 on: 14 Dec '11 - 19:17 »
amit: Even if Ian could work around it, you should still report the problem to the driver manufacturer - afterall they are the source of the problem and bluescreens should never happen on a modern OS.
Saga , I have let ESI know about the problem but I am not holding my breath for a fix as they haven't released any driver updates in two years.

saga

« Reply #289 on: 14 Dec '11 - 19:46 »
Saga , I have let ESI know about the problem but I am not holding my breath for a fix as they haven't released any driver updates in two years.
Is it the ESI Maya44E by any chance? :) (I've had my own share of problems with Wavelab and ASIO on that card, while the ESI Juli@ always worked flawlessly).

amit

« Reply #290 on: 15 Dec '11 - 11:51 »
Is it the ESI Maya44E by any chance? :) (I've had my own share of problems with Wavelab and ASIO on that card, while the ESI Juli@ always worked flawlessly).

It is actually Juli@ , but as you understand it is crashing only on specific circumstances.

heftig

« Reply #291 on: 16 Dec '11 - 09:09 »
When using the default output (waveout), the balance control seems to act as a second volume control - <100 to center is full volume, 100> is silence.

I assume this is because Windows 7 only provides a mono volume control for the stream, which XMPlay doesn't expect and believes it to be the left channel volume.

PulseAudio used to have the same problem, see this patch: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=ed0e879cd999750d06e189953319786e5178cf27
The WAVEOUTCAPS seem to lack WAVECAPS_LRVOLUME on Win7 (and Vista?).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #292 on: 16 Dec '11 - 15:49 »
Yes, it looks like waveout balance control isn't available when the soundcard is set to produce multi-channel output (via the "Speaker Setup"). Unfortunately, it also looks like WAVECAPS_LRVOLUME isn't a reliable indicator when using the default device ("Microsoft Sound Mapper"), as it always has that flag present even if the eventual output device doesn't support it. So I guess XMPlay will have to go back to applying the volume/balance itself on Vista/7 (like it does on older Windows). I'll do that for the next update.

mikiqex

« Reply #293 on: 20 Dec '11 - 14:10 »
I have an online radio as the only track in the playlist and I control XMP via multimedia keyboard keys. If I have the "Random order" option off (unchecked), I can start stopped playback of the track (= radio stream) by pressing "Play" button on my keyboard. But If I have the "Radio order" option on (checked), after pressing "Play" button nothing happends. It doesn't matter if XMP is active window or not. I can stop the track while playing, when "Random order" is on, but I can't get it to play again. Thanks.

AKL

« Reply #294 on: 20 Dec '11 - 14:25 »
I am using XMPlay now for years. But since I use it on Win7 64Bit, it tends to crash after a few seconds uptime.

Pike84

« Reply #295 on: 20 Dec '11 - 14:29 »
I have Win7 64bit as well, and probably many other users too. No crashes here.

What plugins are you using? Does removing them help?

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #296 on: 20 Dec '11 - 15:26 »
Hate to say "ditto", but I've been running Win7 64bit for a long time without issues.  And since Win7 64bit has gotten so much market penetration, so have a lot of other people.

As Pike said, check out your installation by starting with a freshly downloaded, naked xmplay.exe (no add-ons, no plug-in, no configurations, nothing).  Then gradually add those things in and see where it "breaks".  I'm confident that's where you'll find the issue.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #297 on: 20 Dec '11 - 16:46 »
Yes, it looks like waveout balance control isn't available when the soundcard is set to produce multi-channel output (via the "Speaker Setup"). Unfortunately, it also looks like WAVECAPS_LRVOLUME isn't a reliable indicator when using the default device ("Microsoft Sound Mapper"), as it always has that flag present even if the eventual output device doesn't support it. So I guess XMPlay will have to go back to applying the volume/balance itself on Vista/7 (like it does on older Windows). I'll do that for the next update.

Actually, here's an update that will still let Windows Vista/7 handle the volume, and just apply the balance itself...

I have an online radio as the only track in the playlist and I control XMP via multimedia keyboard keys. If I have the "Random order" option off (unchecked), I can start stopped playback of the track (= radio stream) by pressing "Play" button on my keyboard. But If I have the "Radio order" option on (checked), after pressing "Play" button nothing happends. It doesn't matter if XMP is active window or not. I can stop the track while playing, when "Random order" is on, but I can't get it to play again. Thanks.

The update above should sort that.

I am using XMPlay now for years. But since I use it on Win7 64Bit, it tends to crash after a few seconds uptime.

Does XMPlay display a "plugin crashed" error message when that occurs? If not, to get some clues on the cause, you can have Windows generate a dump file for the crash in your user "AppData\Local\CrashDumps" directory by applying this registry entry...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/localdumps-full.reg

After doing that, please reproduce the crash with the update above and upload the dump file (it could could be quite large so compress it first) to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

mikiqex

« Reply #298 on: 21 Dec '11 - 17:21 »
The update above should sort that.

Works perfectly, thank you!

heftig

« Reply #299 on: 22 Dec '11 - 13:38 »
The "stuff" version now seems to have a problem with the in_vgmstream plugin I'm using - it now fails to play many files (getting reported as dead) and has degraded quality for others.

3.6.0.1 works fine.