Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.7  (Read 332352 times)

Pike84

Re: Suggestions for 3.7
« Reply #100 on: 23 Feb '11 - 02:15 »
A tiny, but kinda cool feature would be, if XMPlay informed (ie. with a tray bubble) when adding of files to the playlist was complete. Many people have lots of music on their HDs these days, and they might want to do something else in the meantime, and be notified when the list would be ready for managing.

Dotpitch

« Reply #101 on: 23 Feb '11 - 06:14 »
Would you like to have that notification once all files are added, or when all the tags are loaded as well?

Shinx

« Reply #102 on: 23 Feb '11 - 07:03 »
Is there any kind of support for 3rd party applications, like mobile phones, to control what song is playing and what sub song? I seen a thread pointing to an HTTP plugin, but didn't see anything beyond that. If thats not a thing, that would be my request.

Pike84

« Reply #103 on: 23 Feb '11 - 09:01 »
Would you like to have that notification once all files are added, or when all the tags are loaded as well?
For me personally, the important point is when I can sort the list and save it, so the tags don't matter that much.

amit

« Reply #104 on: 24 Feb '11 - 16:57 »
A track's search match status should be updated after any info changes, but that stuff hasn't yet been updated to consider the info used by the new search options. Here's an update to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Let me know if you still have any trouble with it.

Thanks.

Yes, I think a separate list would be better for your presets, rather than making them permanent entries in the search history.

My presets ?  ;)

I understand why you are still pondering on the idea. It seems quite redundant to have two lists for basically the same purpose.

I wonder if there is a smart way to differentiate between quick (short lived) searches and more general (repeated) searches. Maybe text vs %fields searches and ?  Thus xmplay will treat them differently.

Maybe simply change the history list to an age based history. If a search pattern is not used again in 60(?) days it will be deleted. This will keep the repeated searches and loose the expendable ones.

oddiophile

« Reply #105 on: 2 Mar '11 - 06:38 »
@ oddiophile:

;D I get your mild sarcasm, but in fact many of the functions you listed above would be quite possible with good native support for third-party VST plugs. No need for the XMPlay team to reinvent the wheel or abandon their minimalist approach (which I like a lot BTW).

The competition already has all the features you need:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=84947

(no sarcasm this time)

;)
« Last Edit: 2 Mar '11 - 06:51 by oddiophile »

amit

« Reply #106 on: 2 Mar '11 - 18:29 »
Also...

Do you think it is possible to list recent search entries at the find button's main menu instead of the current cascaded sub menu?

dbz

« Reply #107 on: 2 Mar '11 - 22:39 »
I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but am I the only one who finds himself regularly moving the playlist window by accident (when I intend to scroll the playlist for instance). Could it be possible to add an option allowing the user to lock the relative position of the playlist - so when you dock it (as I do) next to the main window it'll stay that way? It seems like a minor thing, but it can get quite annoying when it happens as often as it does to me. Of course, it should still move the way it does when you move the main window (... together, that is).

Thanks for such a great audio player... and hopefully my little suggestion will help to make it even better.

caveman

« Reply #108 on: 2 Mar '11 - 23:12 »
...no, you're not the only one...and that would be a good option

Pike84

« Reply #109 on: 3 Mar '11 - 10:34 »
Have a look at the options, that one's been there for a long time already: "Miscellaneous -> Move info window with main"

raina

« Reply #110 on: 3 Mar '11 - 13:54 »
Have a look at the options, that one's been there for a long time already: "Miscellaneous -> Move info window with main"
"Move info window with main" is no "Move main window with info" though. I would also like to see it work both ways without having to press both left and right mouse button.

Pike84

« Reply #111 on: 3 Mar '11 - 14:23 »
Whoops, I didn't read carefully :-X.

dbz

« Reply #112 on: 3 Mar '11 - 20:59 »
That could be an option too - to move the main window with the other one, but even that's not the same as what I'm looking for. In my case, I'm not trying to move any windows - I happen to accidentally click on the window instead of the scrollbar - so there should be an option that keeps the playlist window "locked" in place. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #113 on: 5 Mar '11 - 22:29 »
Kind of like the Winamp playlist behavior?

SmartOne

« Reply #114 on: 6 Mar '11 - 16:11 »
Yes, please.

amit

« Reply #115 on: 6 Mar '11 - 16:57 »
I feel this topic has already worn out but still here is another request:  ;)

When choosing from the searches history menu , could the selected one be brought back to the top/most recent search in the list? Otherwise even re-used ones are lost from the history list after a while.

Thanks again!

dbz

« Reply #116 on: 6 Mar '11 - 23:28 »
I'm not sure if Winamp's playlist behaves like what I'm trying to describe or not. I have a version of Winamp, and when I click on the playlist window (and drag it), it moves. Is there an option to "lock" it so the window doesn't respond in that manner - I don't know. That's all I'm looking for, plain and simple. The lock option would basically mean the playlist window would ignore a "click-and-drag" mouse event. I do a bit of computer programming and, from what I know, it should be an easy thing to do.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #117 on: 7 Mar '11 - 02:33 »
I too would like to see this feature, as well as the ability to make the extended playlist window stick better to the player, as in Winamp and AIMP2.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: 7 Mar '11 - 15:58 »
A tiny, but kinda cool feature would be, if XMPlay informed (ie. with a tray bubble) when adding of files to the playlist was complete. Many people have lots of music on their HDs these days, and they might want to do something else in the meantime, and be notified when the list would be ready for managing.

Here's an update that will display "adding" in the playlist/library time display areas while XMPlay is adding tracks...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but am I the only one who finds himself regularly moving the playlist window by accident (when I intend to scroll the playlist for instance). Could it be possible to add an option allowing the user to lock the relative position of the playlist - so when you dock it (as I do) next to the main window it'll stay that way? It seems like a minor thing, but it can get quite annoying when it happens as often as it does to me. Of course, it should still move the way it does when you move the main window (... together, that is).

The update above also adds a "Lock position" option to the main window's right-click menu, which locks the position of both the main and info windows.

When choosing from the searches history menu , could the selected one be brought back to the top/most recent search in the list? Otherwise even re-used ones are lost from the history list after a while.

That I can agree to :)

Pike84

« Reply #119 on: 7 Mar '11 - 16:14 »

Here's an update that will display "adding" in the playlist/library time display areas while XMPlay is adding tracks...
That's nice, but the idea was actually not having to have the player visible to know this - just adding that "adding" text to the mouse hover bubble at the tray icon would help lots :).

amit

« Reply #120 on: 7 Mar '11 - 16:34 »

That I can agree to :)

I hope that was meant  not only the first part ;)

How about adding to the close button menu : "restart" option ?

If you added a skin , plugin or changed the ini settings - a quick restart (continueing exactly where you left off) would be a little easier.

Cypress

« Reply #121 on: 7 Mar '11 - 18:20 »
The update above also adds a "Lock position" option to the main window's right-click menu, which locks the position of both the main and info windows.

That's really usefull for Laptops where the mouse is not as friendly as a Desktop PC :)

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #122 on: 7 Mar '11 - 20:12 »
Thank you! :)

dbz

« Reply #123 on: 7 Mar '11 - 23:42 »
I tried the update, with mixed results. The upside is that I can't accidentally move the info window now. The downside is that it means anytime I do want to move both windows, I have to unlock them, move them, and then relock them. That could get tedious after a while, plus there's a good chance I'd forget to relock them.

I know it's probably a bit trickier to program it this way, but IMHO the best solution would be this:

1. Once the user has positioned the windows relative to each other the way they want them, then they would lock the info window's position. (so it can't be moved on it's own)
2. If they decide to change the layout, then they would have to unlock it - change the position, then relock it. (Chances are this isn't going to happen often once they've arranged it)
3. So with the info window locked, the user would still be able to move both windows together by moving the main window - but unable to move just the info window.
4. In addition to locking just the info window, the next (but not absolutely necessary) option would be to lock both windows (as it is now), to ensure that no windows can be moved on the screen.

I'm sorry for being a bit repetitive - just trying to make it easy to understand. Hope I'm not asking for too much, and thanks.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar '11 - 23:46 by dbz »

caveman

« Reply #124 on: 8 Mar '11 - 07:58 »
...thanks Ian!!