Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.7  (Read 269377 times)

Jace

Re: Suggestions for 3.7
« Reply #50 on: 3 Feb '11 - 11:31 »
If you would like to change that, the update above includes a "RefreshRate" XMPLAY.INI setting to try (eg. RefreshRate=60), which allows the vis to go at a different rate to the other GUI stuff.
Doesn't seem to be doing much here either. Tried to set it to lower than 40, so I could keep something pretty visible every now and then. Mostly 'cause I don't belong into this group:
We have 4 GHz multicore CPUs, 120Hz displays and powerful graphics cards now.

I would rather a tiny drop in refresh rate than restricting the vis to 400x300. ;D

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: 3 Feb '11 - 13:13 »
Oops! The new XMPLAY.INI setting is actually "VisRefresh" (not "RefreshRate").

Dotpitch

« Reply #52 on: 3 Feb '11 - 16:09 »
Ah, that works properly indeed :).

I'd like to re-suggest adding an alternative to middle-click.  My two button mouse and/or laptop touchpad would love it. BTW, are you going to post a compilation in this (Suggestions for 3.7) thread?
Yep, I'll post the list after I've cleaned and re-organized it. Your request is still on it ;).

amit

« Reply #53 on: 3 Feb '11 - 18:29 »

Having thought about it a bit, here's something to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

It adds 4 new tag comparison options: "%tag:x" (tag contains x), "%tag=x" (tag equals x), "%tag<x" (tag is lower than x) and "%tag>x" (tag is greater than x). The contains/equals options obey the "Case-sensitive" setting, while the lower/greater options are always case-insensitive. "%tag" can be one of the existing title/encoder formatting options ("%0", etc) or one of the following: "%age" (days since added to library), "%lastplay" (days since last played), "%length" (length in seconds), "%playcount" (times played), "%rating" (rating), "%size" (file size in KB).

I was thinking some more about this...Do you know some players have an option for smart playlists? Why not use the new search options to implement a similar solution to xmplay?

If there are search patterns used over and over again they could be saved with a name and then accessed directly, maybe from a right click menu similar to "locate in library" option.

Results for searches like: new tracks , highly rated tracks, , genre combinations   and other  complex patterns  could then be used and played instantly (if 'skip non matches' applied)

oddiophile

« Reply #54 on: 3 Feb '11 - 23:34 »

I tried the setting and it works now :)  

Setting a refresh rate higher than 40Hz makes a *HUGE* difference:

* 60Hz makes the peaks / beat detection much more responsive. At 120Hz it's almost real-time.

* The 3D spectrum display moves a lot faster.

* Lower rates (24Hz ~ 30Hz) are also useful for really slow PCs :)
« Last Edit: 5 Feb '11 - 11:27 by oddiophile »

oddiophile

« Reply #55 on: 3 Feb '11 - 23:42 »
Quote from: Dotpitch
Btw, Honto's Phase has a built-in fps counter (use the middle-click).

The built-in FPS meter in Honto Phase is not accurate. It doesn't display the actual framerate you get on your screen (especially if you're using Aero on Vista/Windows 7).

You have to use utilities like FRAPS to monitor the real framerate.

For example, Phase displays 160 fps , but I get only 50 fps when running in fullscreen mode on Windows 7 with Aero enabled.

With Aero turned off, the animation is silky-smooth, but there's no way to see the actual framerate, since XMPlay doesn't support TRUE fullscreen (pageflipped) mode.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb '11 - 11:39 by oddiophile »

saga

« Reply #56 on: 3 Feb '11 - 23:55 »
confirmed, but this should go in the 3.6 bug report thread...

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: 4 Feb '11 - 16:31 »
I was thinking some more about this...Do you know some players have an option for smart playlists? Why not use the new search options to implement a similar solution to xmplay?

If there are search patterns used over and over again they could be saved with a name and then accessed directly, maybe from a right click menu similar to "locate in library" option.

Results for searches like: new tracks , highly rated tracks, , genre combinations   and other  complex patterns  could then be used and played instantly (if 'skip non matches' applied)

I'll look into it. In the meantime, although not quite as convenient as a right-click menu, you could use the "Find" history to do it :)

* 60Hz makes the peaks / beat detection much more responsive, but doesn't eliminate the blur effect.

* 120Hz removes 80% of the blur and makes the peak response almost real-time

Regarding the "blur", are you referring to the built-in spectrum vis? If so, that's intended :)

Anyway, as it seems to be working quite nicely, the vis refresh rate has now been added to the "Appearance" options page...

This update also increases the difference between the fullscreen info bubble sizes, and should fix the black screen problem from the previous update. Let me know if you still get that problem.

But can you do blink time and play\pause button after switch on player?

Do you want to disable the flashing when paused? If so, the time flashing has been disabled in the update above (2 paused indicators was a bit unnecessary). If you want to disable the button flashing too, you can do that by adding "NoFlashPause=1" in the XMPLAY.INI file.

garson

« Reply #58 on: 4 Feb '11 - 16:48 »
If you close XMPlay with track being paused, with button flashing, when you start it again, button isn't flashing. I think it should. :)

oddiophile

« Reply #59 on: 4 Feb '11 - 17:12 »
- BUG: Playback freezes (!) when 'No Visualisation' is selected

- It's not possible to set the vis. refresh rate to more than 100 Hz from the Options & Stuff page.

- Have you decreased the button flashing rate when paused? It's a lot slower (and less annoying) now :D

- The balloon popups in fullscreen mode are still way too large when using 'Smallest' size at a very high screen res (2048x1536)

- Is there a button (keyboard shortcut) to show the name of the track that's playing when fullscreen vis. is used without changing the song?  (a key to briefly show the name and a key to toggle between 'always visible' and 'off')

Quote from: [email]Ian@un4seen.com[/email]
Regarding the "blur", are you referring to the built-in spectrum vis? If so, that's intended
A 'secret' setting to disable that effect would be nice to have (if possible)
« Last Edit: 4 Feb '11 - 17:24 by oddiophile »

Dotpitch

« Reply #60 on: 4 Feb '11 - 17:40 »
Is there a button (keyboard shortcut) to show the name of the track that's playing when fullscreen vis. is used without changing the song?
Look for 'Current track - Tray title bubble' in the shortcut list.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: 4 Feb '11 - 18:03 »
- BUG: Playback freezes (!) when 'No Visualisation' is selected

Oops, that should be sorted now...

- It's not possible to set the vis. refresh rate to more than 100 Hz from the Options & Stuff page.

The maximum has now been increased to 125 Hz. Note the chosen rate will internally be rounded up to the nearest factor of 1000. For example, 120 will be rounded up to 125 (1000/8).

- Have you decreased the button flashing rate when paused? It's a lot slower (and less annoying) now :D

Yes :)

A 'secret' setting to disable that effect would be nice to have (if possible)

OK. The update above adds a "NoSpectrumFade" option for that.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #62 on: 4 Feb '11 - 18:48 »
And NoFlashPause also stops the flashing time when paused.

Thanks!

Pike84

« Reply #63 on: 4 Feb '11 - 22:02 »
Hah. Just as I thought, I couldn't notice any difference from higher refresh rates.

Nice evaluations of the effects at different rates (especially the effect on the blur) :P.

But hey, nice thing that your super fast eyes got treated. If only you could crank it up to 200Hz or so, how smooth would That be, mmh :o...

Cosworth

« Reply #64 on: 4 Feb '11 - 23:01 »
[
But can you do blink time and play\pause button after switch on player?

Do you want to disable the flashing when paused? If so, the time flashing has been disabled in the update above (2 paused indicators was a bit unnecessary). If you want to disable the button flashing too, you can do that by adding "NoFlashPause=1" in the XMPLAY.INI file.

No, I mean, that would be good if button play\pause and timer will flashing after run XMPlay, if it was close on pause  ;) :)

oddiophile

« Reply #65 on: 5 Feb '11 - 04:57 »
Hah. Just as I thought, I couldn't notice any difference from higher refresh rates.

But hey, nice thing that your super fast eyes got treated. If only you could crank it up to 200Hz or so, how smooth would That be, mmh :o...

There's no need for higher refresh rates. 120 Hz is more than enough :)

To notice the difference, you really need a responsive display (e.g. high-quality CRT). The difference is minimal on a common (5ms advertised / ~25ms real 'FullHD' 60Hz TN) LCD monitor.
« Last Edit: 5 Feb '11 - 12:20 by oddiophile »

oddiophile

« Reply #66 on: 5 Feb '11 - 10:27 »
Nice evaluation of the effects at different rates :P

The difference between 40Hz and 60Hz is obvious (even with a 60Hz LCD display):

- Download and Enable the 'Honto Phase v0.6' visualisation plugin

- Start playback and then open the XMPlay 'Options and stuff' window

- Enable fullscreen vis. and Middle click to reveal the Phase Options menu

- Select 'Physics',  choose 'Model 8' and adjust the 'Spring' value to MAX.

- Increase the refresh value in 'Options and Stuff' gradually from 40Hz to 60Hz

« Last Edit: 5 Feb '11 - 10:55 by oddiophile »

SomeDude

« Reply #67 on: 5 Feb '11 - 11:49 »
Different filetype associations for audio files (mp3, etc.) and playlist files (m3u, etc.) would be great.

Dotpitch

« Reply #68 on: 6 Feb '11 - 14:25 »
Suggestions for XMPlay 3.7

List updated, go here...

More feature requests? Post them in this thread! Bugs, problems and questions should be posted in the 3.6 reports, queries and bugs-thread.
« Last Edit: 30 Aug '11 - 18:28 by Dotpitch »

Jones

« Reply #69 on: 6 Feb '11 - 17:48 »
Fact: although virtually unknown in a world of bells’n’whistles, XMPlay reigns supreme among audio players in terms of sound quality and stability, with no challenger in sight (be that free or commercial). Hats-off to the developers!

Fancy: such a high-end audio player could do very nicely with native VST support for pro-grade plugins (the Winamp wrappers are for the most part useless, as they are inside Winamp itself for that matter). Reliable VST support (with the emphasis on “reliable”) would open a whole new world of opportunity for proper loudspeaker control, room eq, etc.  ;)

And a thought: a paid-for “pro” version with features as such and not so much cool fluff and online gadgetry might not be such a terrible idea… I know I’d jump on it tomorrow if it were (there’s nothing else of the kind out there).

Cheerio

Pike84

« Reply #70 on: 6 Feb '11 - 20:46 »
a paid-for “pro” version with features as such and not so much cool fluff and online gadgetry might not be such a terrible idea…
XMPlay is already "pro" enough for me, and naturally I don't like the idea of making the player commercial, as it's been free so far.

What do you suggest would be the pro features anyway? Or did you mean the free version should just be cut down on features, while the pro version would retain the current features?

oddiophile

« Reply #71 on: 6 Feb '11 - 21:47 »

Fancy: such a high-end audio player could do very nicely with native VST support for pro-grade plugins (the Winamp wrappers are for the most part useless, as they are inside Winamp itself for that matter). Reliable VST support (with the emphasis on “reliable”) would open a whole new world of opportunity for proper loudspeaker control, room eq, etc.  ;)

And a thought: a paid-for “pro” version with features as such and not so much cool fluff and online gadgetry might not be such a terrible idea… I know I’d jump on it tomorrow if it were (there’s nothing else of the kind out there).

Cheerio

Want 'Pro' features such as:

* 64-bit floating-point processing
* 512-point HQ Sinc resampling
* Unlimited-band parametric EQ , real-time FIR noise reduction, high-quality reverb
* Real-time HQ pitch shifting, time stretching and playrate control
* 64-bit VST effect plugins
* Powerful transcoder that converts to/from various audio formats, sample rates and bitdepths  ?
* Trippy visualisations

All of that is already possible if you use a pro audio editor as a player :D
« Last Edit: 6 Feb '11 - 21:53 by oddiophile »

Zarggg

« Reply #72 on: 7 Feb '11 - 01:37 »
And none of which are necessarily for a bare-bones, low-overhead audio player.

Why does no one understand that XMPlay's goal isn't to be the biggest player in the game with the most features?

Jonesks

« Reply #73 on: 7 Feb '11 - 06:00 »
XMPlay is already "pro" enough for me, and naturally I don't like the idea of making the player commercial, as it's been free so far.

What do you suggest would be the pro features anyway? Or did you mean the free version should just be cut down on features, while the pro version would retain the current features?

:o Now, hold on… Let's go back to what I said, for a moment. I'm just as hooked on XMPlay as you (if not more), except perhaps for different reasons. Nothing wrong with that, I hope. ;)

I wasn’t suggesting XMPlay went payware. Or that the free player be trimmed down. The word “version” in my post implied a possible alternative commercial edition with additional features that might require a greater coding effort. I’m no programmer and have no idea what it would take to develop such patches/modules. Given what a fantastic package the XMPlay team is already offering for free, it felt a tad inconsiderate to just post a simple “I want native VST support (please)”. Of course I wouldn't mind getting it for free ;). It just seemed reasonable to let the developers know that, I for one, wouldn’t mind paying a fair price for such extras if they cannot give them away for free. It’s all I was saying.

@ oddiophile:

;D I get your mild sarcasm, but in fact many of the functions you listed above would be quite possible with good native support for third-party VST plugs. No need for the XMPlay team to reinvent the wheel or abandon their minimalist approach (which I like a lot BTW).

‘Course you could achieve all that and more in a heavyweight editing software. 25 clicks of the mouse or so, half your PC’s resources and you’re ready to listen to your favourite album :D. The point is XMPlay is the only viable alternative to that, if you’re not prepared to trade sound quality and reliability for convenience. And… an “oddiophile” ;) like yourself surely wouldn’t mind a couple of top-notch third party DSP plugins in control of your HiFi, I'm thinking.

@ zarggg:

Supporting another plugin standard is not going to make XMPlay any heavier. What you’d load and run inside it would be your choice entirely. Different people can use the same tool for different purposes and still remain civil about it ;). To me, for instance, most of the features requested in this thread are totally useless, as they have nothing to do with sound control. But that's alright, I'm not bashing anyone in the forum for desiring a couple more buttons to click on, here and there. I just don't use them.

Peace

Dotpitch

« Reply #74 on: 7 Feb '11 - 06:43 »
I'd rather have a donation option (on this site, not in the player) for the current XMPlay than a commercial version ;).

Btw, oddiophile probably wasn't being sarcastic (he wants more DSP power in XMPlay). Ian is the only developer of XMPlay, which makes it a bit more difficult to launch a commercial version with even more features. A native VST wrapper sounds good though, and it can probably be constructed as a plugin.