Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.7  (Read 206575 times)

miggyb

Re: Suggestions for 3.7
« Reply #425 on: 18 Dec '11 - 05:37 »
Something quick and dirty:

Grabbing the "iTunes Library.xml" file and updating the XMPlay library to match that.

I know, I know. I should go ahead and uninstall iTunes. But I need it for my iPhone because I am a huge faggot that sucks a thousand dicks.

Anywho, it looks relatively easy. Here's an example snip of it:

Code: [Select]
<key>Track ID</key><integer>3302</integer>
<key>Name</key><string>Don't Get Lost In Heaven</string>
<key>Artist</key><string>Gorillaz</string>
<key>Album</key><string>Demon Days</string>
<key>Genre</key><string>Alt Rock</string>
<key>Kind</key><string>MPEG audio file</string>
<key>Size</key><integer>5036279</integer>
<key>Total Time</key><integer>120424</integer>
<key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Track Number</key><integer>14</integer>
<key>Track Count</key><integer>15</integer>
<key>Date Modified</key><date>2011-12-15T02:20:56Z</date>
<key>Date Added</key><date>2007-01-21T16:18:21Z</date>
<key>Bit Rate</key><integer>320</integer>
<key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer>
<key>Play Count</key><integer>31</integer>
<key>Play Date</key><integer>3404021818</integer>
<key>Play Date UTC</key><date>2011-11-13T14:36:58Z</date>
<key>Skip Count</key><integer>5</integer>
<key>Skip Date</key><date>2011-08-02T14:22:48Z</date>
<key>Rating</key><integer>100</integer>
<key>Album Rating</key><integer>80</integer>
<key>Album Rating Computed</key><true/>
<key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer>
<key>Persistent ID</key><string>5C3FD60D1A91EE2C</string>
<key>Track Type</key><string>File</string>
<key>Location</key
<string>file://localhost/Users/miggyb/Music/iTunes/Gorillaz/Demon%20Days/14%20Don't%20Get%20Lost%20In%20Heaven.mp3</string>

The quickest, dirtiest way of doing it would be to just grab the file location, put it in the library, then let XMPlay figure out the track title, etc. Even better would be if the ratings got imported as well.

I didn't find anyone else who suggested this so I might just be a special case. If that's so, then is there any kind of beginners developer guide for it? I'd love to take a look at it if you guys would like to focus on the more interesting problems :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #426 on: 18 Dec '11 - 10:20 »
This certainly sounds possible, especially if you use a separate application. There's a description of XMPlay's library file format on the Support Site, you can put the fields you need from the iTunes library (filename, rating, play count and last play) right in there. I'd suggest to let XMPlay read the rest of the tags from the file itself.

synth

« Reply #427 on: 21 Dec '11 - 04:44 »
I've been using XMPlay since 1.7. Thanks for the greatest player ever.
Suggestions for XMPlay 3.7
Playlist
    • Disable 'Remove & delete file' in track context menu
I'm very disappointed to see this feature gone. Please, at least make having 'Remove & delete file' item in context menu an option. I agree that deleting a file is a crucial action, but many players have an option to include this item in menu. As do some file managers have an option to 'Delete permanently' in addition to just 'Delete'.

I have seen that xmplay plugin for last.fm is available. Are there plans to develop similar plugins to support Magnatune or Jamendo? If no, then I'm suggesting it :)

Pike84

« Reply #428 on: 21 Dec '11 - 10:07 »
This means an option to disable the feature by user. I don't think any options will be removed.

Also note, that Dotpitch's list contains pretty much everything that's suggested by anyone here at the forums - it's not by any means a to-do list by the developer Ian Luck.

xaos

« Reply #429 on: 22 Dec '11 - 23:48 »
Adjustable font size and type in extended playlist.

Zarggg

« Reply #430 on: 24 Dec '11 - 21:12 »
Those are controlled by the skin you are using.

xaos

« Reply #431 on: 28 Dec '11 - 08:59 »
Those are controlled by the skin you are using.

..perhaps then it ought to be separated, being haven't found an easy option to alter the 'skins' default font size as of yet and it would be nice to change for days when the eyes don't read smaller fonts too well

amit

« Reply #432 on: 28 Dec '11 - 09:20 »
You can use a skin that comes in multiple sizes , something like nuetron.

xaos

« Reply #433 on: 29 Dec '11 - 08:43 »
You can use a skin that comes in multiple sizes , something like nuetron.

.. so apparently one has to be a member here to be taken seriously ... hey Ian, nothing against you. XMplay is by far the best audio player I've used. ... so if you'd be willing to respond it would be appreciated, seems others can't think beyond the end of their own noses.

Pike84

« Reply #434 on: 29 Dec '11 - 16:32 »
No, you don't have to be a member to be taken seriously.

Just because you got some "sub-optimal" suggestions/answers, from normal users that can't do much more anyway, it doesn't mean what you proposed went unnoticed :).

I'm sure Dotpitch will gladly add this to his list of suggestions.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #435 on: 29 Dec '11 - 17:14 »
Well, I'm just a normal person around here, but...

If you want to use a compiled skin, you will have to find one that has a bigger/different font that is more pleasing to you.

If you want to download the source of a skin, you can (within limits) change stuff in that skin for your own use.  Take a look at the skinning kit.

If you'd rather not hear it from me, please ignore this post.

xaos

« Reply #436 on: 30 Dec '11 - 00:06 »
ah, so there are thinkers around here ... yes, i'm aware of those options, (seems there are too many 'not so bright' users around that everything has to be specifically stated before the original idea is comprehended) .. anyway .. it makes more sense to have adjustable font size for the extended playlist separate from the skin than to be 'forced' to switch skins, or try to modify an existing one. ... it seems you can already 'customize' nearly every other aspect of what's displayed in the extended playlist, why not the font size (and perhaps type) as well ... oh, anyone care to address my very first post there about a ratings file idea?

Dotpitch

« Reply #437 on: 30 Dec '11 - 11:43 »
it makes more sense to have adjustable font size for the extended playlist separate from the skin than to be 'forced' to switch skins, or try to modify an existing one.
Yep. Looking at the skinning kit, adjusting the playlist font size already works fine on skins without a playlist panel (like Multipass). Having a font size selector on the Playlist page of Options and stuff would be enough. Skins with a playlist panel (like the default skin) have the track entry height defined by the bitmap mask for the panel; ignoring that height for the Extended playlist and only applying the font size there should make it work for those skins as well.

for those of us who like to keep our media tags 'cleanish' , is there, or would it be possible to add to XMPlays saved settings the ability to save just our ratings .. as in not to the tag itself, but as an XMPlay specific file akin to a playlist but with only a list of the relevant file information (derived from tag?) and it's rating as given within XMPlay?
Put your tracks in the library. XMPlay stores all tags and ratings in the xmplay.library file, not in the tags.
guess it depends on what exactly gets replaced in the library info when all the original files have been moved. other question being how often the library rescans the directories, and the final part of it being, never cared for 'folder monitoring' in the first place .. so
.. an associative file that stores ratings regardless of whether the file is in the library's list, and can apply said ratings to what's in the playlist according to the/a files' matching tag. (yes it could cause multiple tracks to end up with a rating they didn't originally have, but that would mean the tagger managed duplicates somehow and wouldn't be the fault of the player)
Could you explain why you don't want to use the library for this? Folder monitoring is not required for the library.
I'm not really fond of creating a rating-list outside of the library, as that would need additional managing/cleaning with a GUI interface. Binding the rating to the tags sounds right (as long as you have all your files tagged properly, obviiously), but do you move and rename your audio files that often that it's not reliable to bind the rating to the file path and name?

xaos

« Reply #438 on: 31 Dec '11 - 00:59 »
..Thanx DotPitch .. appreciated ...
Skins with a playlist panel (like the default skin) have the track entry height defined by the bitmap mask for the panel; ignoring that height for the Extended playlist and only applying the font size there should make it work for those skins as well.
nice to know how it works/would work .. ah, that font size ought also to apply to the library as well (yeah yeah, i know i'm not using it right now) ..

but do you move and rename your audio files that often that it's not reliable to bind the rating to the file path and name?
i have in the passed, present, and likely to do it in the future, but my tags stay consistent with a minimum of the track name in them, and max of track num, name, artist, album, year, and sometimes genre.

Could you explain why you don't want to use the library for this? Folder monitoring is not required for the library.
Font size issues for one, sorting, searching, and I generally find it easier to just browse my directories via my file explorer and add as needed rather than try to scan the library window. Related back to how often I mess with filenames and locations. ... And it seems the library is either created or recreated from the current loaded tracks with no monitored directories selected, or overwritten if monitored directories are added.

I'm not really fond of creating a rating-list outside of the library, as that would need additional managing/cleaning with a GUI interface. Binding the rating to the tags sounds right (as long as you have all your files tagged properly, obviiously)
It wouldn't need anything extra. Same idea as the 'saved settings' thing (which still isn't completely clear to me). Just a saved setting that stores the ratings for rated files according to their tags track name, or file name if no tag. Can use what it already stores in the library.
something like ...

tag("title-of-my-favorite-track") -> rating="5"
or If no tag
filename("my-other-favorite-track.mp3") -> rating="4"

It could be set to auto-save ratings on player close, or left up to the user to remember to do. The only issue would then be for renamed files without tags losing their rating, all others could retain theirs regardless of location, and perhaps even be imported into a different Xmplay instance without the need for the entire library.
And yeah, being the library and playlist work best with well formatted tags, it makes more sense that it would be tied to the tag first.

xaos

« Reply #439 on: 31 Dec '11 - 03:01 »
... i should expand on that a little .. it should be able to be done in tandem with the library/current loaded files, same way it's done on player start or close.

..to try to avoid ratings appearing on duplicate tag("title-of-my-favorite-track")  or filename("my-other-favorite-track.mp3"), optionally store length as well.

... being the idea could create an overwrite or loss of current ratings within the library ... on first use/load .. option
start with new file and import ratings from current library/loaded files list, or load file and append ratings from current library/loaded files list, and/or append ratings to library, or just ('auto-load and use extended ratings')

basically persistent ratings, if both are in use they can be updated together, but neither overwrites the other. .. means your library ratings will always be your defaults, but can be extended by a ratings file with existing ratings, and you'll never loose your main ratings unless you delete your saved ratings & muck with your library.

would allow for the sharing of ratings too if all you do is load and append from your library then pass it on. (could make for an interesting way to start a database of popularly rated songs) (someone else could write the GUI for that if they were so inclined)

sorry if it all sounds like too much... just thinking, OR, take the standard playlists XMplayer can create, and allow/add an extra comment that XMplayer recognizes as the rating. then we can just manually save a list of our rated files with their rating and alter it however we need.

Dotpitch

« Reply #440 on: 31 Dec '11 - 09:45 »
XMplayer
XMPlay.

something like ...
or If no tag
Ah, like that! It's going to be a lot of work to input the ratings for all your favourite tracks this way, but now I understand how you'd like to see this implemented via saved settings :).

Font size issues for one, sorting, searching, and I generally find it easier to just browse my directories via my file explorer and add as needed rather than try to scan the library window. Related back to how often I mess with filenames and locations.
I never said you had to use the library to select the files. If a file is in the library, XMPlay will show the file's rating regardless of how the file ended up in the playlist, so you can still use Explorer if you like.
And it seems the library is either created or recreated from the current loaded tracks with no monitored directories selected, or overwritten if monitored directories are added.
If a file is not in the library, you can still rate it, but it's rating will be lost when you close XMPlay. Adding a file to the library after rating it doesn't clear the rating over here.

Note that you can just drag files and folders into XMPlay's library, or choose to add a file to the library the moment that it's added to the playlist (Options and stuff > Library > Auto-add). The library and playlist can recover track information if you move files (Options and stuff > Dead), but XMPlay does not automatically detect file renames.

xaos

« Reply #441 on: 31 Dec '11 - 11:20 »
XMplayer
XMPlay.
..my bad .. the ER gets added to XMPlay cause it's my audio play'er'

something like ...
or If no tag
Ah, like that! It's going to be a lot of work to input the ratings for all your favourite tracks this way, but now I understand how you'd like to see this implemented via saved settings :).
not quite ... not input by hand, but saved settings output from existing ratings in the library/current loaded files list, like a playlist, but specifically for "keeping" ratings across library alterations. theoretically that should happen if the ratings were bound to the tag in the first place within the library...

I never said you had to use the library to select the files. If a file is in the library, XMPlay will show the file's rating regardless of how the file ended up in the playlist, so you can still use Explorer if you like.

Note that you can just drag files and folders into XMPlay's library, or choose to add a file to the library the moment that it's added to the playlist (Options and stuff > Library > Auto-add). The library and playlist can recover track information if you move files (Options and stuff > Dead), but XMPlay does not automatically detect file renames.
Yes I am aware of that ....but.. what's happening with the tag information bound to the files original location?

And it seems the library is either created or recreated from the current loaded tracks with no monitored directories selected, or overwritten if monitored directories are added.
If a file is not in the library, you can still rate it, but it's rating will be lost when you close XMPlay. Adding a file to the library after rating it doesn't clear the rating over here.

A library file is created and kept regardless of whether there are files in the folder monitoring section or not. I have absolutely no folders monitored, nor have anything set to add them to the library. Yet as long as the files are kept on the playlist it's rating survives closing and reopening of XMPlay. That's the reason for the wonder about how XMPlay is storing and associating information in the library, overwrites, rewrites, reloads, additions, relocations and renaming.

summary ....
but do you move and rename your audio files that often that it's not reliable to bind the rating to the file path and name?

bascially, no it doesn't seem properly reliable for a library tag system to store tag info bound singly to the filepath\filename.ext, especially when allowing for custom entries such as ratings that take special attention to create when listening to the tunes in the first place.

...sigh... and the worst part is I can go on..

_ÚdEr

« Reply #442 on: 31 Dec '11 - 15:33 »
I don't know if someone "spoke" this, but I guess that will be nice to have.

A plugin like "auto-tag" from winamp..

=D

Dotpitch

« Reply #443 on: 3 Jan '12 - 19:07 »
but.. what's happening with the tag information bound to the files original location?
If a file is recovered (i.e. found in a different folder), all information from the dead file is transferred to the recovered entry. This includes the rating, play count and last play, add date and tags (including overridden tags).

A library file is created and kept regardless of whether there are files in the folder monitoring section or not. I have absolutely no folders monitored, nor have anything set to add them to the library. Yet as long as the files are kept on the playlist it's rating survives closing and reopening of XMPlay. That's the reason for the wonder about how XMPlay is storing and associating information in the library, overwrites, rewrites, reloads, additions, relocations and renaming.
Files which are in the playlist but have no library entry (yet) are temporarily added to the library. They are removed from the library once they are removed from the playlist.

A plugin like "auto-tag" from winamp.
A nice feature, but I think it's better to use a proper tagger. For example, with MP3Tag, you can easily lookup all data for an album. With MusicBrainz Picard you can even lookup tags based on audio only. Note that the MusicID technology Winamp uses requires a license from Gracenote.

A suggestion from myself: a way to select the output device based on the output plugin used and the device name, rather than the number of the output device. Useful if you often add/remove output devices, most notably Bluetooth receivers.

xaos

« Reply #444 on: 4 Jan '12 - 01:37 »
but.. what's happening with the tag information bound to the files original location?
If a file is recovered (i.e. found in a different folder), all information from the dead file is transferred to the recovered entry. This includes the rating, play count and last play, add date and tags (including overridden tags).
Good to know, guess then, all the library needs is the ability to retain ratings for altered filenames with unaltered tags.

samplah!

« Reply #445 on: 16 Jan '12 - 19:30 »
Lately (since i discovered) i'm in love with a program, a tagging program, TagScanner http://www.xdlab.ru/en/.
This app is prolly the most comfortable and powerful of all for tagging audio files.

The reason of talking about TagScanner is that one of its features is really really nice and would also be very nice to see it in XMPlay playlist window.

Of course, it should be optional, because not all music in the disk drives is classified that way.

It's a good way to see at a glance the album each song or group of song belongs.

What do you think?

Look at the image to see what i'm talking about:
« Last Edit: 16 Jan '12 - 19:57 by samplah! »

Dotpitch

« Reply #446 on: 16 Jan '12 - 21:29 »
It's a good way to see at a glance the album each song or group of song belongs.
I would very much like to have this. I do think it should be more flexible, so grouping can be done by the tag (like artist, album, genre, year or the old-fashioned path) chosen by the user. Grouping by album is probably most useful. How about cascaded groups?

Cypress

« Reply #447 on: 17 Jan '12 - 20:40 »
I would very much like to have this. I do think it should be more flexible, so grouping can be done by the tag (like artist, album, genre, year or the old-fashioned path) chosen by the user. Grouping by album is probably most useful. How about cascaded groups?

this is a long time wish feature, for all xmplay lovers, i'd presonally would love such a great feature!! please Ian :)

SmartOne

« Reply #448 on: 19 Jan '12 - 15:58 »
Will you please add Bit depth to the General pane for lossless formats?

LPChip

« Reply #449 on: 19 Jan '12 - 22:52 »
I'd really love to see the ability to set the volume to a specific value by a keypress.

So for example: I can say: ALT-F1: Volume 0%, ALT-F2: Volume 10%, ALT-F3: Volume 45%, ALT-F4: Volume: 100%

It would be awesome if we somehow can specify the amount for that keypress, but if thats really hard, I'd suggest an interval of 10% starting at 0% all the way to 100% (11 options)

And yes, I know there's the volume up and volume down command, but I'd like to always set it to that value when I press that key, without thinking how much lower or higher I need to go. I will use it with global keys, from my macro keys (yes, that works on my keyboard) so I have 3 or 4 preset volumes for a few given situations (example: I get a phonecall, volume to 10%, I want a mute of the player but not pause it, 0%, or this great track plays in rotation, so 100%, etc...