23 Sep '14 - 13:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Windows Crash  (Read 5941 times)
ChrisM

« on: 11 Oct '11 - 21:51 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi guys,

A long shot, I know, but recently my software has been crashing quite often. The crash logs show this...

Faulting application name: AuDEC.exe, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a995ed4
Faulting module name: bass.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a16b463
Exception code: 0xc0000005

...before I go off to try and find what's happening, would anyone know what the above error refers to and where to start looking?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Ionut Cristea

« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct '11 - 22:10 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm getting this too, but only on some VB 6 applications.
ChrisM

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct '11 - 22:30 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yea, this particular app is written in VB6 too.

Chris
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct '11 - 15:23 »
Reply with quoteQuote

A long shot, I know, but recently my software has been crashing quite often. The crash logs show this...

Faulting application name: AuDEC.exe, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a995ed4
Faulting module name: bass.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4a16b463

...before I go off to try and find what's happening, would anyone know what the above error refers to and where to start looking?

That looks like it may be trying to access BASS.DLL after it has been unloaded. Does the crash only happen after closing the app when running it under the VB6 IDE, ie. not a compiled EXE? If so, is it also only when BASS_Free/RecordFree hasn't been called?
ChrisM

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct '11 - 23:32 »
Reply with quoteQuote

It apparently happens randomly on its own. I only unload the DLL when the program is closed manually. This is the error that appears in the logs at the time of the crash...

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          24/10/2011 12:45:05
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      WIN-94UISBLD65Q
Description:
Faulting application name: AuDEC.exe, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e9586ee
Faulting module name: bass.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e66166b
Fault offset: 0x04c2251a
Faulting process id: 0x78ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc91d8b0230e1f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AuDEC Professional\AuDEC.exe
Faulting module path: bass.dll
Report Id: 9cfff057-fe35-11e0-9352-00259022e04d
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-24T11:45:05.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>755239</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>WIN-94UISBLD65Q</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>AuDEC.exe</Data>
    <Data>2.1.0.0</Data>
    <Data>4e9586ee</Data>
    <Data>bass.dll_unloaded</Data>
    <Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
    <Data>4e66166b</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>04c2251a</Data>
    <Data>78ac</Data>
    <Data>01cc91d8b0230e1f</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\AuDEC Professional\AuDEC.exe</Data>
    <Data>bass.dll</Data>
    <Data>9cfff057-fe35-11e0-9352-00259022e04d</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Does that help at all? Perhaps this is the error that happens after the crash :-(

Many thanks,
Chris
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct '11 - 14:50 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I will send you a debug version to get some information on what's happening.
Lowdown

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov '11 - 09:49 »
Reply with quoteQuote

What is the conclusion ?

I also have the same problem, and it drives me nuts.
Access violation - c0000005.

Program randomly freezes with uncatchable exception.
I have run program through WinDbg and finally get what cosing the exception.

Details about my program:
Stream / hardware recorder.
When I use program as Line/Mic recorder works without exception.
When used as stream recorder get's freezed.

It seems that this exception only recurs when stream needs to get restarted and not on every restart !
But the strange thing is, everything continues to work .. :S

Please help me (as would Beatles said)
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov '11 - 16:56 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Please post/upload any details that you have on the crash, eg. the location/call-stack/etc. If you have a dump file, that can be uploaded here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Also confirm what Windows version and programming language/IDE you're using.
Lowdown

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov '11 - 17:24 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I'm using C# 3.5 with Bass.NET library, exception is thrown on Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 32&64.

This is what DrWtsn mini dump has:
Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=000d1100 ebx=00000001 ecx=0000000b edx=00000001 esi=06210710 edi=03f1fdb8
eip=5cc84a54 esp=03f19b04 ebp=03f1fdb8 iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz ac pe nc
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=003b  gs=0000             efl=00000216
5cc84a54 ??

Application event:
Faulting application mrrec.exe,
version 1.0.0.0, stamp 4ed4cbf3,
faulting module ntdll.dll (some times here is msvcrt.dll,kernel32.dll),
version 5.1.2600.6055,
stamp 4d00f27d,
debug? 0,
fault address 0x00011689.

If you need more just tell me, I just run WinDbg to my application, and now waiting to throw exception.
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov '11 - 17:46 »
Reply with quoteQuote

OK, please upload a dump file for the crash to have a look at. You can generate the dump file in WinDbg like this: .dump /ma path\filename.dmp ... The file could be quite large, so you should ZIP it before uploading.
Lowdown

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec '11 - 12:15 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I uploaded two dump files.
First is with some exceptions what didn't happen before, and I don't understand what they are.
Second file is just after first with GO function.

file: mrec_dumps.rar
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec '11 - 15:53 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Both dump files appear to be of the same crash, which happened in the BASS_AAC add-on. Do you remember what file you were playing (or trying to) when it happened? Please first try it again with the latest BASS_AAC build, available here...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass_aac.dll

And if the problem still happens with that, then upload the troublesome file to have a look at.
Lowdown

« Reply #12 on: 1 Dec '11 - 16:08 »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have started new debug session with latest BASS_AAC build.

Application is recording multiple streams, mp3/aac.
Crash appears randomly, as far as I can see, with no visible pattern.
Lowdown

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec '11 - 08:34 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi, I've uploaded new dump ..  Undecided
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec '11 - 16:38 »
Reply with quoteQuote

In this case it appears to have crashed in an internet download thread, at the end of the download. It looks like some memory (containing info on the download) may have been freed before the thread was finished with it. I'll send you a debug version to get some more info on what's happening there.
Jens Lühmann
« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb '12 - 22:23 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Ian,

did you find a solution for the msvcrt.dll crash ?
I have still the same problem since one year. In my case it crashes immediately if i try to open more streams than the cpu can work off.

best wishes
Jens
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb '12 - 13:52 »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's still being tested, but it's looking like a solution has been found. Please try this latest build and let me know if you still see crashing in your case...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/bass.dll
Jens Lühmann
« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb '12 - 06:55 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Ian,

i just tested the new bass.dll. It seems to be better with this update, but it still crashes.
I tried to upload 2 dmp-files to your server, but the second one is incomplete, permission is now denied.

The complete file ( AirplayControl.exe.4252.dmp ) crashed with wmvcore error. The second one, which i cannot upload, crashed with msvcrt.dll error.
It would be good, if you'd send me an actual debug version of bass.dll  Smiley

best wishes
Jens
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb '12 - 14:46 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Oops, the upload space was full. Some old stuff has now been removed and the allocation raised, so please retry uploading the 2nd dump file.

Regarding the "4252" dump file, it has crashed in a Windows Media thread. That is something different to the previous crashing in this thread (so the BASS.DLL update is unlikely to help), but the call-stack does look familiar. I seem to recall seeing similar crash reports years ago. I don't recall what happened regarding that, but I haven't seen any reports in quite a while. I guess it's possible there has been a regression in BASSWMA. I'll try to find out.
Jens Lühmann
« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb '12 - 16:28 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Ian,

i just uploaded the second file.
bass.dll and basswma.dll i use are up-to-date.

thanks and best wishes
Jens
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: 15 Feb '12 - 17:49 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The dump was received, thanks. In this case, a "strdup" call has crashed in a thread that opens a connection with a server. A pointer to a parameter structure is passed to the thread, and the thread makes a copy of it before starting the connection process. In this case, I guess the memory was invalidated/reused after the connection timeout was exceeded before the thread even got a chance to run. Was the system extremely busy (eg. 100% CPU usage) and/or was the BASS_CONFIG_NET_TIMEOUT setting lowered? Anyway, to remove the possibility, here's an update that will make a copy of the structure before launching the thread...

Please try that and see if you can still reproduce the crash.
Jens Lühmann
« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb '12 - 06:23 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Ian,
it looks much better Smiley
You're right, i'm testing under 100% cpu performance ( stress test! ) and now it works much longer than before, but i had another crash:

*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols for kernel32.dll -
kernel32!InterlockedDecrement+0x9:

I just uploaded the last dump file to your server ( AirplayControl.exe.3788.zip )

thanks and best wishes
Jens
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb '12 - 16:21 »
Reply with quoteQuote

In this case it has crashed in the connection opening thread again, inside the actual connection opening call. The crash isn't in BASS (the call stack shows 14 frames between BASS and the crash), which makes it harder to know what has gone wrong. As in the previous case, it is probably related to the connection timeout being exceeded. I think I will have to send you a debug version to get more info on this.
Jens Lühmann
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb '12 - 17:46 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Ian,
under normal circumstances the 100% performance does not take place. My application automatically reduces the streams in order to protect the overload. But I've found that it then crashes after 1 week or later. That's why i overload the cpu a little bit to see what's going on. Hope that makes sense for you.
It may also be that the program would run stable now with the update under normal performance. Therefore, I should test it first on longer period, right? Would be great if you send me the debug version.

Thanks and best regards
Jens
fmcoder

« Reply #24 on: 3 Mar '12 - 20:26 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ohh! That looks like a problem I faced couple of years ago. Random crashes after a week or two. Extremely annoying to debug...

The solution I finally went with it to create a "watchdog" application which monitors my app and restarts it in case of crash Smiley

Yes, It's not a beautiful solution, but it works. Ian, how can I help you with catching this bug? I have a Win 2008 R2 server on which I can run the tests. How do I get the dumps, as DRWTSN32 utility does not present there? If there are some debug versions of bass.dll and bassmix.dll please post links to them. In about 50% cases I get an AV in the BASS_Mixer_ChannelRemove, that's why I'm asking about debug version of bassmix.

Thanks for looking into this problem.
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar '12 - 16:02 »
Reply with quoteQuote

It is still being tested, but it looks like Jens' issue has been resolved. Here's the latest BASS build including that fix...

The issue Jens (and Lowdown before him) had was related to internet streams. From your description, it sounds like yours is probably something different. If the crash still happens with the update, to get some info on it, you can tell Windows to generate dump files (in your user "AppData\Local\CrashDumps" folder) by adding this "localdumps-full" registry entry...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/localdumps.zip

Please reproduce the crash after that and upload the generated dump file (it could be quite large so ZIP it first) to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Make sure you're using the latest BASS.DLL (above) and BASSMIX.DLL when doing that. You can use the "localdumps-off" registry entry to disable the dump file generation.
fmcoder

« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar '12 - 21:16 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, "mine" crash happened without using internet streams. Thanks for the info, I started the testing.
fmcoder

« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar '12 - 13:29 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ian, about that "stuff" bass version - can it be used in production?
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: 12 Mar '12 - 16:59 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, it should be fine to use in releases. The only thing I can think of that may have an adverse effect is a change in the SPEAKER flag processing on Vista/7 systems; it doesn't seem to work well with Realtek's driver at the moment, but it is useful otherwise, so it will probably be optional in the release version. Here's a thread on that...

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=13465
fmcoder

« Reply #29 on: 12 Mar '12 - 20:12 »
Reply with quoteQuote

This only affects DirectSound, right? And if I'm using WASAPI output, where speaker flag is added via BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel, everything will work as expected?
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar '12 - 14:58 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, that is correct. The change only applies when using SPEAKER flags with BASS/DirectSound playback (eg. in BASS_StreamCreateFile calls), and won't affect mixer processing.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: