24 Oct '14 - 12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: XMPlay fade in.  (Read 2570 times)
Alex K.

« on: 13 May '12 - 14:26 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello. I want to know if it is possible to fade in music in XMPlay? The little thing that bothers me is distortion when playback starts. It is pretty noticeable on high volumes. I'm using ASIO, win 7. Thanks in advance.

By the way, i think that it would be superb if fade in/out effects is used when user pause or stops playback.
« Last Edit: 13 May '12 - 14:29 by Alex K. » Logged
Dotpitch

« Reply #1 on: 13 May '12 - 20:55 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The auto-amp has a fade-in mode (see Options and stuff > DSP), and you can also set a fade-out at the end of the track (Options and stuff > Miscellaneous).
saga

« Reply #2 on: 14 May '12 - 12:56 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The little thing that bothers me is distortion when playback starts.
Maybe you should rather fix this than rely on a fade-in. Can you elaborate what kind of "distortion" you get at the beginning of playback? That doesn't sound like something that should happen at all.
Alex K.

« Reply #3 on: 14 May '12 - 13:56 »
Reply with quoteQuote

The auto-amp has a fade-in mode (see Options and stuff > DSP), and you can also set a fade-out at the end of the track (Options and stuff > Miscellaneous).
Doesn't help. Affects overall volume.

The little thing that bothers me is distortion when playback starts.
Maybe you should rather fix this than rely on a fade-in. Can you elaborate what kind of "distortion" you get at the beginning of playback? That doesn't sound like something that should happen at all.
These are some high frequency peak/distortion in the beginning that are wanted to be *faded out*. I think it's connected with zero to top volume increase in a small period of time (0.1 seconds or n milliseconds). It doesn't happen when song/music already faded in the beginning. However problem persists when you stop/pause playback. Try it and you will see what i mean.
saga

« Reply #4 on: 14 May '12 - 13:57 »
Reply with quoteQuote

However problem persists when you stop/pause playback. Try it and you will see what i mean.
No, I don't see what you mean, I don't get distorted audio with XMPlay. Everything sounds like it's supposed to sound.
Alex K.

« Reply #5 on: 14 May '12 - 15:29 »
Reply with quoteQuote

However problem persists when you stop/pause playback. Try it and you will see what i mean.
No, I don't see what you mean, I don't get distorted audio with XMPlay. Everything sounds like it's supposed to sound.
You click play - DISTORTION (high frequency peak) - MUSIC PLAYS - PLAYING - ... - PLAYING (all is good) - You click pause - DISTORTION - You click play - DISTORTION - MUSIC CONTINUES - PLAYING - ... - etc.
If no one in next 24 hours will say he hears such a thing too, i will attach an example track.  Cheesy
Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 14 May '12 - 17:07 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Doesn't help. Affects overall volume.
If your files are properly Replaygained, it won't.

These are some high frequency peak/distortion in the beginning that are wanted to be *faded out*. I think it's connected with zero to top volume increase in a small period of time (0.1 seconds or n milliseconds). It doesn't happen when song/music already faded in the beginning. However problem persists when you stop/pause playback. Try it and you will see what i mean.
Do you also get the distortion if you use WASAPI instead of ASIO? What soundcard do you have?
Alex K.

« Reply #7 on: 14 May '12 - 21:37 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Let's just speak about *SmoothStream* feature offer: fading to pause, fading to stop, fading in the beginning (it's a function of volume - not very hard to create). How do you evaluate it? Would you like to see it? Will it make you happy? Would you like to ask Creators to make it on some day in future?
sneakernets

« Reply #8 on: 14 May '12 - 23:07 »
Reply with quoteQuote

What I think is going on is that your soundcard(or drivers) are giving you a little distortion when sound inits. The only way to fix that is to keep the sound stream "alive" at all times. that shouldnt' be too hard to add.
Dotpitch

« Reply #9 on: 15 May '12 - 06:32 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Let's just speak about *SmoothStream* feature offer: fading to pause, fading to stop, fading in the beginning (it's a function of volume - not very hard to create). How do you evaluate it?
Fade to pause/stop is already on the list of suggestions, I'll add faded start to that. Could you try WASAPI and tell us what soundcard you use?

What I think is going on is that your soundcard(or drivers) are giving you a little distortion when sound inits. The only way to fix that is to keep the sound stream "alive" at all times. that shouldnt' be too hard to add.
That's a workaround, not a fix. It also doesn't work when the sample rate of the output changes, because that requires re-initializing the device.
Alex K.

« Reply #10 on: 15 May '12 - 12:38 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Let's just speak about *SmoothStream* feature offer: fading to pause, fading to stop, fading in the beginning (it's a function of volume - not very hard to create). How do you evaluate it?
Fade to pause/stop is already on the list of suggestions, I'll add faded start to that. Could you try WASAPI and tell us what soundcard you use?

That's a workaround, not a fix. It also doesn't work when the sample rate of the output changes, because that requires re-initializing the device.

1. WASAPI - still presents, but less loud and noticeable. Again,  it doesn't happen when song/music already faded in the beginning.
2. I know that i wanted to upload example track, but since our music society already wished stop/pause fading, i feel that not only me was bothered with something happening in the sound.  Wink
3. WHy there's still no commercial version of XMPlay with minor cosmetic and functional improvements for dollar or two? You guys should think twice now before you update versions, because you are closer to ideal than plenty of other player's creators.  Smiley
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: 18 May '12 - 14:59 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Please confirm when the distortion noise is occurring, eg. is it only when starting playback, or is it also present when resuming paused playback or seeking? And how long does it last? Also, does it occur with all of the output systems, ie. the default/DirectSound/ASIO/WASAPI?

The problem with using the output volume level to fade is that it is unlikely to be very smooth; the volume level will change in steps, so the fade needs to be quite long to reduce the size of the steps and avoid the fade possibly causing artifacts itself. For smooth fading, it should be applied in the sample data instead, but it won't always be possible to do that, eg. you can't apply a fade to data that is already in the device's output buffers.
Alex K.

« Reply #12 on: 20 May '12 - 15:00 »
Reply with quoteQuote

Please confirm when the distortion noise is occurring, eg. is it only when starting playback, or is it also present when resuming paused playback or seeking? And how long does it last? Also, does it occur with all of the output systems, ie. the default/DirectSound/ASIO/WASAPI?

The problem with using the output volume level to fade is that it is unlikely to be very smooth; the volume level will change in steps, so the fade needs to be quite long to reduce the size of the steps and avoid the fade possibly causing artifacts itself. For smooth fading, it should be applied in the sample data instead, but it won't always be possible to do that, eg. you can't apply a fade to data that is already in the device's output buffers.

It presents if no fading intro in the beginning of song and also on pause/resume. All is okay when seek. Lasts 1/n part of second. ASIO/WASAPI - yes, DirectSound - don't know.
Ian @ un4seen
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: 21 May '12 - 14:44 »
Reply with quoteQuote

If the noise occurs when resuming paused playback, then a fade-in for that would generally need to be applied via the device volume, which isn't ideal (as described above). But I guess a short fade-in applied in the sample data by XMPlay at the start of playback would be better than nothing. To see how long a fade-in would need to be, please make a recording (in WAV format) of the noise at the start of playback and upload that to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Please also upload the file that you were playing to produce the noise.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: