Author Topic: BASS VST and free VST plugins?  (Read 3568 times)

3delite

BASS VST and free VST plugins?
« on: 18 May '12 - 14:05 »
Hi!

Have 2 questions for you people!

What channel configuration does BASS VST support? Channel count, 32bit? Anybody have info on this? Internally does it convert multichannel to stereo or just applyes to the first 2 channels or how? Do VST plugins support 32bit processing (input)?

My second question is, what would you recommend as free (for commercial that, is shareware use) VST plugins that are cool? Mainly interested in 'enhancer' like VST plugins, that beautify the sound.

RobJellinghaus

Re: BASS VST and free VST plugins?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun '12 - 19:07 »
I'm surprised no one replied to this.  I am wondering the exact same things, as I look at adding VST support to my app.  3delite, did you figure anything out on your own since posting this?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun '12 - 16:39 »
I'm not very familiar with VST myself, so I'm afraid I can't comment on recommended plugins/etc, but BASS_VST does support floating-point and multi-channel when available. The BASS_VST_GetInfo function can be used to check what a plugin supports. The BASS_VST.H header includes comments on each function/structure, so please check that for details.

3delite

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun '12 - 17:14 »
What I found out so far is it does support floating point and partially multi channel (sad). Partially I mean it seems to me that only the stereo part is processed and the remaining channels are muted. :(

I found a VST plugin that supports 5.1 (I can send it to those who are interested) and if I stream my 5.1 BASS mixer channel through it, anything beyond 2 channels is just silent, although the mixer was playing an 5.1 channel audio file.

About 32 bit I don't know if VST standard supports it, or is it just BASS_VST converting it to 16 and then back to 32bit?

bpetersen

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun '12 - 10:53 »
[...] What channel configuration does BASS VST support? Channel count, 32bit? Anybody have info on this? Internally does it convert multichannel to stereo or just applyes to the first 2 channels or how? Do VST plugins support 32bit processing (input)?

Hello,

I've just had a look at the source:
- BASS_VST works with the lower number of channels provided by the VST-effect or by the BASS-channel, so a 5.1 effect should work on a 5.1 channel
- BASS_VST and the VST-effects themselves internally calculate with 32bit floating point values

Best regards,
Björn

3delite

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun '12 - 12:53 »
Thanx for clearing up the 32bit issue!

But the 5.1 question remains a question for me.
Here's the 5.1 VST DSP plugin I mentioned: TB_IsoneSurround.zip
If I assign this plugin to a 5.1 channel, everything beyond the stereo channels is muted. Or is this problem only happening with this specific plugin?
Someone knows of other 5.1 supporting VST DSP plugin that I can download and try?

Thanx!

bpetersen

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun '12 - 16:17 »
Well, if both, VST and BASS channel use 5.1, it should work. However, I have not excessively tried this ... do you have the same problem with other plugins, too? Are you sure, all plugin settings are correct? Maybe there are  also others around here in this forum who have experiences with 5.1 VST.

fmcoder

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun '12 - 20:34 »
@Björn Petersen have you tried loading Waves (waves.com) plugins with bass_vst? It seems that those plugins cannot be used by bassvst. I'll check and give some details tomorrow.

saga

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun '12 - 00:42 »
@Björn Petersen have you tried loading Waves (waves.com) plugins with bass_vst? It seems that those plugins cannot be used by bassvst. I'll check and give some details tomorrow.
At some point Waves used "Shell" plugins, which is a special kind of VST plugin. Not sure if they are still doing this (it sounds like that is the case), but if yes, you cannot use them without extra effort in the VST handling part (i.e. in BASS VST).

fmcoder

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun '12 - 09:44 »
At some point Waves used "Shell" plugins, which is a special kind of VST plugin. Not sure if they are still doing this (it sounds like that is the case), but if yes, you cannot use them without extra effort in the VST handling part (i.e. in BASS VST).
Could you please give any details on what efforts should be done?
There's only one DLL for all plugins, so it looks like "Shell"...

saga

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun '12 - 14:16 »
I am not very familiar with shell plugins as my own host software does not support them, but a shell plugin can be identified by having the plugin category set to kPlugCategShell. In this case, you can query the existing sub plugins using shellGetNextPlugin. They should also have the "shellCategory" canDo value set. Maybe this will help you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1128958/how-do-i-scan-enumerate-vst-plugin-dlls/1129154#1129154

fmcoder

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun '12 - 22:16 »
Thanks for help, saga!

victor

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun '12 - 02:44 »
in the waves package there's an exe shell2vst that saves the DLLs needed.