Author Topic: Best audio app for Android?  (Read 19433 times)

r

Best audio app for Android?
« on: 20 Oct '12 - 04:04 »
I'm looking for something similar to XMPlay.  Lightweight and jampacked with awesome features!

Install file should be as small as possible.  Let me know what you guys are using!

r

Re: Best audio app for Android?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov '12 - 18:47 »
Just to update my findings here.

Some lightweight audio apps I've tried include:
-Clean Music (is a directory audio player similar to 1by1)
-HikiPlayer (another directory audio player, but with album art and a nice, auto-detection color scheme based on the album's colors)

However, these do not check off the "awesome features" requirement.  I've tried Rockbox for Android and while it works, the memory usage increases by about 2x/3x.

saga

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov '12 - 12:14 »
If you need a mod player, DroidSound might be the way to go.

raina

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov '12 - 09:57 »
Thanks for the doing the digging. I'll have to check those out at some point. Despite being an Android user for almost 2 years I have yet to see a good music player and mainly listen to podcasts and streamed music on my phone. Not sure which is the cause and which the effect.

r

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov '12 - 02:52 »
For mods and other gaming music, you can also check out Modo, which is way more lightweight than DroidSound memory-wise (about 3-4x), but supports less gaming music formats and other options like Shoutcast streaming.

For web radio,  I use TuneIn Radio.

Sucks to have to use so many different apps at the moment!  Still waiting for a BASS player for Android! :)
« Last Edit: 10 Nov '12 - 03:22 by r »

Alt

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan '13 - 21:31 »
About BASS player for Android not so long ago AIMP was announced.
I'm using & strongly recommend andLess. Its free, produces fair sound, minimalistic & supports most of the popular formats. The only problem I encountered was m4a format (lossy aac from ITunes). Player trying to decode this format with ALAC codec and as a result can't play it. But there's simple workground solution - just change extension of the file from 'm4a' to 'aac'.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan '13 - 21:43 by Alt »

r

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan '13 - 08:48 »
Cool!

Glad AIMP is coming out with an Android player.  Hopefully it'll be as good as the desktop version.

r

« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov '13 - 22:55 »
1by1, a popular directory audio player for Windows, has a beta Android version out:
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/1by1.html (scroll to the bottom)

It's reminiscent of Clean Music Player, but even more minimal.

recoilme

« Reply #8 on: 26 Dec '13 - 14:05 »
Hello. I want to develop the best music player ever)

It's simple, looking good, free and open source: https://bitbucket.org/recoilme/freeamp

I call it freeamp. It based on BASS and right now it only for android. But i will port on all platforms.

It's my 1st try to use bass library and i will be happy if you review my app || code
Fill free to send me bug report or pull request. My email must be in profile.

Get it on google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.recoilme.freeamp

More info about player on bitbucket page.

Merry Christmass!

Alt

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar '14 - 01:30 »
I've tried a lots of Andoid players (only for 2.3.6 ARM6 as my phone doesn't support higher) and can strongly recommend GoneMad Music Player. It's not free but support many formats, produce good sound quality, have nice UI, highly customizable, 'eats' less resources than other comparable players.

Jace

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar '14 - 14:05 »
8MB (+2MB for data) O_o

Think I'll stick with MyMusicOn (~1MB) until they get andLess (750kB) working properly on 4.4.2 :P

wocki

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar '14 - 11:58 »
Is it possible to use Bass together with 1by1 for Android on my phone?

In this case I lack a description of how to install Bass on Android. Maybe this is trivial, maybe it is impossible; but I have not found this information anywhere. Please help.

Alt

« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar '14 - 20:08 »
1by1 Android doesn't use BASS, also it plays only formats that your device/firmware/stock player supports.

r

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar '14 - 00:33 »
I currently alternate between HikiPlayer, 1by1 and andLess (as mentioned by Alt).

I only use andLess when I'm trying to play a lossless format.

Jace

« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar '14 - 14:31 »
HikiPlayer
Sweeeet! Cheers, I have a new default player now, under 400kB. :D

vvv They and I kind of have a different definition of 'tiny'. 3.8MB is a fair bit when you have ~25MB free space. :P
« Last Edit: 27 Mar '14 - 11:36 by Jace »

Alt

« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr '14 - 01:11 »
Discovered Inline Music Player. Somehow it's based on foobar 2000.  Free version doesn't have time limit but have disabled some features (not really necessary like audiofx, album art downloader etc). Loading takes ~3 seconds but UI is very responsible, track loading & rewind is fast, also it sounds very different from other players.
Installation file weights 648 KB, installed - 1.3 MB, takes 11 MB of RAM when playing files, eats CPU less than BASS-based players (freeamp, AIMP).
Unfortunately just like 1by1 it plays only formats that your device/firmware/stock player supports (no flac support for Android 2.3.6)
« Last Edit: 16 Apr '14 - 08:42 by Alt »

r

« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug '14 - 19:12 »
So, I've been trying out a few more beefier audio apps on Android and would like to share my findings :)

ArmAmp - I still use Gingerbread on my phone and was having a hard time finding an audio app that plays gapless music properly.  This app can do this, but the UI could use more options to hide some elements.  The main reason I was looking at ArmAmp to begin with was to find an audio player that supports CUE sheets.  Also supports Shoutcast web streams and various audio effects like fade, speed, pitch, tempo.  Uses FFMPEG to decode audio.  There are also ads, but I do not see them because I uses a HOSTS file to block them.  Install file is 4.8 MB, installed takes about 11 MB (I moved it to my SD card).

AIMP - I've also been testing the latest version of AIMP and it's looking quite good.  Doesn't support gapless audio or web streams though, but does support CUE sheets.  Uses a playlist approach, which I'm not the biggest fan of.  Would rather have a directory player.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug '14 - 19:18 by r »