Author Topic: Can't play specific MP3 files  (Read 4165 times)

Firebrand

Can't play specific MP3 files
« on: 18 Jan '14 - 16:33 »
Hi!

I've been trying to play some MP3 files with XMPlay, but it doesn't plays, the program just closes without doing anything, I was thinking that maybe these particular files could have a problem or that it could be a problem on the program.

I've uploaded one of the troublesome MP3 files as "FB_Test.mp3" to the FTP, so you can try it yourself, hopefully there's an explanation about the problem.

Thanks!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Can't play specific MP3 files
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan '14 - 17:08 »
Your uploaded file seems to be playing OK here. To narrow down what's causing the problem there, please try running XMPLAY.EXE alone in a directory and see if you still get the problem then. If that stops the problem, you can then try copying your XMPLAY.INI file into the directory and see if it's still OK after that. If you have the problem even with XMPLAY.EXE alone, please confirm what XMPlay and Windows version you are using.

Firebrand

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan '14 - 02:44 »
Thank you for your reply Ian, I've continued with some testing, I was using XMPlay version 3.8.0.5, everything works fine there, but when I switched over to the "stuff" version 3.8.0.6 and 3.8.0.7, the MP3 file doesn't plays and behaves as I described in my initial post.

I've tried with a clean install of both stuff versions, the files play correctly.

I continued testing this problem, and found out the culprit in a DSP plugin that I'm using called Stereo Tool, which is a winamp DSP, I've read in another thread that you changed something with the compiler of XMPlay, maybe that change affects the Winamp DSP Wrapper in some way that makes it not work correctly anymore.

You can download the winamp DSP plugin from here: http://www.stereotool.com/download/

I hope my report is clear enough, please let me know if you require something else, thank you!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan '14 - 18:02 »
Thanks for the extra info. Unfortunately, I still don't seem to be able to reproduce it here, with XMPLAY.EXE 3.8.0.7 + XMP-WADSP.DLL rev.2 + DSP_STEREO_TOOL.DLL 7.40 alone in a directory with default config. Please confirm what Windows version you're using, in case that's making a difference. Also, does it crash as soon as you enable the plugin in the Winamp DSP wrapper config, or only when playback starts? If the latter, does it only happen when playing particular files?

Firebrand

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan '14 - 18:28 »
I'm using Windows 8.1 64-bit, the crashes only occur when starting playback, if I enable the plugin when playback is going already, it works fine.

I've tested with several files, the crash occurs with most of them, but there are a few that don't crash, playback works without any problems.

All versions that you put in your posts are the same I'm using, the only one I can't confirm is the XMP-WADSP.DLL, where can I look for that file's revision?

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan '14 - 20:58 »
I can't confirm is the XMP-WADSP.DLL, where can I look for that file's revision?

In Windows Explorer, hover on the file to get a tool-tip with version info.  Otherwise, right click the file and then select properties from the context menu and then go to the details tab.

Firebrand

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan '14 - 00:19 »
Thank you for the help Jimmy, I can confirm that my version of XMP-WADSP.DLL file is 1.2.0.0 :).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan '14 - 16:02 »
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem here on 64-bit Windows 8.1 either. Are you using the default config, eg. you started with no XMPLAY.INI file? Does Windows give any info on the crash? You could try getting it to generate a dump file by applying this "localdumps-full" registry entry...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/localdumps.zip

And then look in your "C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps" folder after reproducing the crash. If you do find a dump file there, please upload it (after compressing) to have a look at here...

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

You can use the "localdumps-off" registry file to disable the dump file generation afterwards.

Firebrand

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan '14 - 19:09 »
OK, I've uploaded my crash dump in the FTP, it's the file called "fb_xmplay_crash.zip" please let me know if you require anything else, thank you!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan '14 - 17:09 »
The crash is in the spectrum vis display and appears to be caused by invalid data (NaNs). I'm not certain what caused the bad data, but I have an idea and here's a Winamp DSP wrapper update for you to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-wadsp.dll

Checks for bad data have also been added in the spectrum vis processing...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Please try the Winamp DSP wrapper update before the XMPlay update, to confirm whether it was causing the problem.

Firebrand

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan '14 - 15:32 »
Testing it with the DLL only seems to solve the problem, I was also having some audio issues when using the stereo tool DLL with some files, that was going to be my next report after fixing the crashes, but it's fixed now :).

I think that having those checks in the executable could be useful too, thank you for your great help Ian!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan '14 - 17:49 »
Good to hear that the wrapper update did the trick. I'll put it in the main package at the next XMPlay update, or perhaps sooner :)