Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.8  (Read 76549 times)

Knurek

Re: Suggestions for 3.8
« Reply #150 on: 2 Jun '13 - 18:32 »
xm or spc or ym to wav for cd mastering?

Or to MP3 for playback on portable players that don't have Rockbox, both valid uses. :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: 3 Jun '13 - 15:24 »
Here's something for you to try...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

A sub-menu has been added to the "Write to disk" right-click menu option, giving access to the file writing "devices". After file writing, subsequent playback will revert to the device selected in the "Output" options page. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Dotpitch

« Reply #152 on: 3 Jun '13 - 17:07 »
A sub-menu has been added to the "Write to disk" right-click menu option, giving access to the file writing "devices".
How cool is that! :D
After file writing, subsequent playback will revert to the device selected in the "Output" options page. Let me know if you encounter any problems.
Seems to work fine on the encoder side. If a track is playing however, it's not restarted when the output device is changed. Also, I'd prefer it to also start playing the next track in that case. Oh, and it doesn't work for multiple tracks, so I'd suggest to disable the submenu in that case.

dbz

« Reply #153 on: 3 Jun '13 - 17:18 »
Seems to work fine on the encoder side. If a track is playing however, it's not restarted when the output device is changed. Also, I'd prefer it to also start playing the next track in that case. Oh, and it doesn't work for multiple tracks, so I'd suggest to disable the submenu in that case.
If it works for a single file, can't you extend it to work for multiple tracks as well, rather than disabling it? If multiple tracks are selected you would write out each file and then switch the output back after all the files are done... no?
« Last Edit: 3 Jun '13 - 17:22 by dbz »

piovrauz

« Reply #154 on: 3 Jun '13 - 20:09 »
seconded, extending it for multiple selections would be nice.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #155 on: 3 Jun '13 - 21:13 »
A sub-menu has been added to the "Write to disk" right-click menu option, giving access to the file writing "devices". After file writing, subsequent playback will revert to the device selected in the "Output" options page.

Hello Ian,

Is there a possibility to include in XMPlay the ability to encode files in Ogg Vorbis AoTuV and HE-AAC, and at different bitrates?

Thank you!

Dotpitch

« Reply #156 on: 4 Jun '13 - 06:30 »
Is there a possibility to include in XMPlay the ability to encode files in Ogg Vorbis AoTuV and HE-AAC, and at different bitrates?
On the Encoder page of Options and stuff you can set up any command line encoder. If you're wondering about the command line options, read this.

Knurek

« Reply #157 on: 4 Jun '13 - 10:25 »
A sub-menu has been added to the "Write to disk" right-click menu option, giving access to the file writing "devices". After file writing, subsequent playback will revert to the device selected in the "Output" options page. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

As has been said already, if you're playing a track and try to wave-write it, it's not being rewinded to the beginning of the song.
And another vote from me for extending the feature to handle multiple tracks selections.
Other than that, works great. :)

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #158 on: 4 Jun '13 - 16:20 »
On the Encoder page of Options and stuff you can set up any command line encoder. If you're wondering about the command line options, read this.

I downloaded the Nero AAC encoder and put it on the root directory where xmplay.exe is located. Does the Nero encoder has to appear on the Output/Encoders options? So far I can not see the Nero encoder, only the LAME and OGGENC options (which I have not downloaded by the way).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: 4 Jun '13 - 16:53 »
The new "Write to disk" options currently work the same way as if the device had been enabled in the "Output" options page, which means that playback continues from its current position. That has the benefit of allowing the file writing to begin from somewhere other than the start of the track, eg. you can seek to some point before using the "Write to disk" option. When you want to write from the start of a track that is already playing, you can press the stop button first.

Regarding processing multiple tracks, I will need to think about that. I don't really want to add an extra processing queue for that, but perhaps there could be an option added to the existing playback queue to have it written to disk rather than played.

Dotpitch

« Reply #160 on: 4 Jun '13 - 18:13 »
I downloaded the Nero AAC encoder and put it on the root directory where xmplay.exe is located. Does the Nero encoder has to appear on the Output/Encoders options?
No, it won't. As you can read on Encoder page of Options and stuff:
Quote from: Illustrated Manual
From the dropdown box, you can select a preset. If you type a new name in the box, you can click the Add button to create a new preset. Remove deletes the current preset. In the Command-line box you should put the command line syntax XMPlay should use to run the encoder.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #161 on: 4 Jun '13 - 22:33 »
Thank you very much Dotpitch. It works but for some reason the output from the created file sounds amplified. No normalization was used.

Dotpitch

« Reply #162 on: 5 Jun '13 - 06:23 »
Thank you very much Dotpitch.
You're welcome :).
It works but for some reason the output from the created file sounds amplified. No normalization was used.
Is it clipping, or is the waveform still intact? Could you load the two files in a waveform editor and compare them? Did the original file perhaps have Replaygain tags?

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #163 on: 5 Jun '13 - 16:39 »
The files do not have ReplaGain tags. I've tried with several files, and the result is the same. I'll load them in a sound editor program as soon as I get home from work, to see more clearly what happened with the files.

Still, it is strange that it gives me that output. I have the amplification turned on, as well as the EQ, but that doesn't affect the output on the written file. Or does it? ???

saga

« Reply #164 on: 5 Jun '13 - 17:19 »
but that doesn't affect the output on the written file. Or does it?
It should.

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #165 on: 5 Jun '13 - 19:07 »
Oh, I see. I reseted the amplification to 0.0 and turned off the EQ as well. That was it. I can also see the Ian's intention for including that feature.

Thank you Dotpitch and Saga. And Ian too.

Jimmy Neutron

« Reply #166 on: 5 Jun '13 - 19:25 »
Speaking of volume changes, if I change the checkmark on Playlist > DSP > Logarithmic volume the overall volume changes.  I thought that the checkmark merely changed the scale that was being displayed, either dB or a numeric setting.

Is my understanding wrong?

saga

« Reply #167 on: 5 Jun '13 - 21:21 »
Not only, it determines whether the volume (0...100) is scaled logarithmically or linearly. As an example, if the volume is scaled linearly, half volume is at 50 (should make sense), otherwise it's at something like 90% of the volume bar (-6dB).

Dotpitch

« Reply #168 on: 5 Jun '13 - 21:51 »
Not only, it determines whether the volume (0...100) is scaled logarithmically or linearly. As an example, if the volume is scaled linearly, half volume is at 50 (should make sense), otherwise it's at something like 90% of the volume bar (-6dB).
Sure, but when changing the volume from linear to logarithmic, you'd expect XMPlay to keep the same amplification (50% or -3 dB) and change the displayed slider position accordingly (50% or 93%). Instead, it keeps the display the same and changes the audio. Not that you'd often do this, but still.

saga

« Reply #169 on: 5 Jun '13 - 22:00 »
Well, let's not forget that this is under the DSP tab and not the Appearance tab. Sure this is not an argument for not translating the volume setting automatically, but at the same time you can just interpret it as a different DSP function being applied.

Dotpitch

« Reply #170 on: 6 Jun '13 - 06:24 »
Well, let's not forget that this is under the DSP tab and not the Appearance tab.
Ah, well spotted! Hadn't looked at it like that.

dbz

« Reply #171 on: 9 Jun '13 - 01:01 »
Regarding processing multiple tracks, I will need to think about that. I don't really want to add an extra processing queue for that, but perhaps there could be an option added to the existing playback queue to have it written to disk rather than played.
Any news on whether this is do-able? I'm not pretending to know how your program does what it does, but the thought did occur to me that maybe you could tie-it-in to pre-existing code for how the playlist functions already... and oddly enough, (if I'm not mistaken) that seems to be what you're thinking too.

Any (and all) improvements to your program are very much appreciated.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: 11 Jun '13 - 13:07 »
What I was thinking of was adding the extra tracks to the queue, and then processing the entire queue with the file writer, but I'm not sure about that, eg. what if there are other tracks already in the queue? Another possibility is to add a "process queue with file writer" option somewhere, but as that wouldn't be a single click solution anyway (the tracks would need to be added to the queue first), you may as well use a few more clicks to go to the Device options page and activate a file writer there instead :)

dbz

« Reply #173 on: 12 Jun '13 - 01:04 »
....you may as well use a few more clicks to go to the Device options page and activate a file writer there instead :)
Yeah I see your point... sometimes when you (not referring to "you" in specific, but anyone in general) try to simplify things, it ends up being more complicated then it was to begin with. Still, encoding each file (even one at a time) is easier to do now than prior to having this new feature. So if you decide to leave it that way, then yeah, it should be disabled when multiple files are selected.

Dotpitch

« Reply #174 on: 12 Jun '13 - 06:45 »
The new "Write to disk" options currently work the same way as if the device had been enabled in the "Output" options page, which means that playback continues from its current position. ... When you want to write from the start of a track that is already playing, you can press the stop button first.
Ok, that's indeed not much work. It kind of resembles recording CD/LP audio on tape, and work very well :).

Another possibility is to add a "process queue with file writer" option somewhere, but as that wouldn't be a single click solution anyway (the tracks would need to be added to the queue first), you may as well use a few more clicks to go to the Device options page and activate a file writer there instead :)
I totally agree with you. If you're going to do batch encoding with XMPlay, you might as well go to the Output page yourself.