Author Topic: Suggestions for 3.8  (Read 76531 times)

saga

Re: Suggestions for 3.8
« Reply #225 on: 19 Dec '13 - 17:17 »
Yeah, the "CueMark" option was removed, as I figured that the people that were using that would probably use separated tracks now instead :)
Actually, it might not be a good idea to split each and every cue sheet (e.g. cue sheets from DJ sets with seamless transitions), but in such a case you may still want to jump around in the file and see where each individual track beings, so I wouldn't remove that option.

Jace

« Reply #226 on: 19 Dec '13 - 17:30 »
The (only) way to unseparate a track is to re-add it to playlist?

Lemu

« Reply #227 on: 19 Dec '13 - 17:47 »
Ah, I think I see now. Your request isn't related to separated subsongs, but rather you want the subsongs in a multi-subsong file to be played in a random order when random playback is enabled?
Yup. Sorry for the confusion. As you wrote, it's indeed unrelated to the separated subsongs feature. To put it simply, I meant "shuffle mode applied to subsongs too". Thanks again!  :)

GlennNor

« Reply #228 on: 20 Dec '13 - 06:19 »
Support for online radio directories like Dirble (http://dirble.com/) would be just fantastic - perhaps something like this would be possible to implement as a plugin? The way it works now, I need to maintain my own playlists for radio stations - which doesn't allow for a lot of discoverability or just browsing around to find something to listen to.

I understand that this would be a "major" new feature, but hey - if noone suggests it, it almost certainly will never be done, so - here's to getting in there and trying to move stuff forward :)

tongub

« Reply #229 on: 20 Dec '13 - 06:22 »
Do you mean something like "List nav - Select extend page up" and "List nav - Select extend page down" shortcuts?

Yes, minor quip of mine, hope it's also minor works to add.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: 20 Dec '13 - 18:05 »
One thing I would like to request in 3.8 is support for loop points in non-MOD music. I know a feature of module files is that they have built-in loop support, but there are other file formats that support it too (either officially or through extensions). As an example, I know of some OGG Vorbis files that encode loop information using LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH tags in the metadata (I think the values represent sample indices, but don't quote me on that). This feature could be tied to the Track Looping setting (so setting it to "never" would ignore loops, while setting it to "auto" or "always" would follow the loops - the same way the setting currently works for module files).

Here's an update with looping support for those OGG files...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

I hope Fraggie won't be mad, he wrote something along the lines of delix being not worked on on his webpage...

Good news, he is working on it again now :)

Actually, it might not be a good idea to split each and every cue sheet (e.g. cue sheets from DJ sets with seamless transitions)...

The transitions should still be seamless even when the cues are separated :)

The (only) way to unseparate a track is to re-add it to playlist?

The update above adds an "Unseparate subsongs" option that will replace a series of separated subsongs with their source track. For convenience, only one in the series of separated subsongs needs to be selected for it to apply to all of them.

I suggest adding an option to randomize also the subsong selection whenever a new song is randomly chosen to be replayed next.

The update above adds a "subs" sub-option to the random option (in the "Playlist" options page), to have subsongs (not including cuesheets) played in a random order. I'm not really sure about the option myself, so please let me know how you get on with it, eg. is it useful? :)

Support for online radio directories like Dirble (http://dirble.com/) would be just fantastic - perhaps something like this would be possible to implement as a plugin? The way it works now, I need to maintain my own playlists for radio stations - which doesn't allow for a lot of discoverability or just browsing around to find something to listen to.

I understand that this would be a "major" new feature, but hey - if noone suggests it, it almost certainly will never be done, so - here's to getting in there and trying to move stuff forward :)

It is unfortunately a bit too late for something like that to be included in the 3.8 release, but I think it should be possible for someone to create a plugin for it. That would currently probably have to involve using DDE/OLE to pass the URLs to XMPlay, which isn't ideal; I'll try to improve the situation with the 3.8 plugin APIs.

Do you mean something like "List nav - Select extend page up" and "List nav - Select extend page down" shortcuts?

Yes, minor quip of mine, hope it's also minor works to add.

OK. The update above adds those 2 shortcuts.

piovrauz

« Reply #231 on: 20 Dec '13 - 18:32 »
Unseparate track! well done, I was thinking of something along those lines, you beat me! XD
And making it work selecting one song only it's really nice. Thanks a lot.
Good to see Fraggie on Delix again.
Now, will the 3.8 XMas release have a red icon too? XD

Ok, a question: I see there were some improvement to the skinning (new options and such), is the skinning kit up to date?
I'm kind of feeling like making a skin, but I suppose I'd need some docs about it, can't really say I'm a pro at that. XD
« Last Edit: 20 Dec '13 - 18:42 by piovrauz »

saga

« Reply #232 on: 20 Dec '13 - 18:44 »
The transitions should still be seamless even when the cues are separated :)
Sure, I was just thinking along the lines that it might not make sense to split the tune into several playlist entries at all. In that case, it would still be desired to see the markers as before.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec '13 - 18:53 by saga »

Lemu

« Reply #233 on: 20 Dec '13 - 19:03 »
The update above adds a "subs" sub-option to the random option (in the "Playlist" options page), to have subsongs (not including cuesheets) played in a random order. I'm not really sure about the option myself, so please let me know how you get on with it, eg. is it useful? :)

Great! That works exactly as I wished it would. Thank you! Not even the famous Winamp had this useful feature. (I'd recommend adding a tooltip help to the option to help people understand the cryptic "subs").

Now I'm just eagerly awaiting the ability to change the replay rate via the DirectSound interface. (And also hope that the important Delix plugin will be updated, so I can migrate to this new version.)

Wes

« Reply #234 on: 21 Dec '13 - 06:06 »
The looping support works great! Thanks for the quick response. This is a really useful feature that I'm glad to have. More reasons to love XMPlay! :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: 21 Dec '13 - 17:51 »
Ok, a question: I see there were some improvement to the skinning (new options and such), is the skinning kit up to date?
I'm kind of feeling like making a skin, but I suppose I'd need some docs about it, can't really say I'm a pro at that. XD

The skinning kit hasn't been updated for 3.8 yet, but in the meantime, a list of the changes since 3.7 can be found here:

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=14329.msg106462#msg106462

If you would like to use an alpha channel, you could also check this thread, in which it was introduced:

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=14387

Sure, I was just thinking along the lines that it might not make sense to split the tune into several playlist entries at all. In that case, it would still be desired to see the markers as before.

OK, if you insist :)

...I'd recommend adding a tooltip help to the option to help people understand the cryptic "subs"

The width of the options window has been increased to fit in "subsongs" in the update above; a bit more width is handy for some of the other options pages anyway :)

This update also adds keyboard and mouse button shortcuts to the new separate/unseparate subsongs options. If all is well, the plan is for the 3.8 release to be on Monday, so if anyone finds any problems in the latest stuff, please report them before then!

Lemu

« Reply #236 on: 22 Dec '13 - 10:01 »
Maybe I missed this, so excuse me if it's already implemented, but what I'd like to see in 3.8 is an option that would impose a limit on the longest time a looped module (in any format, whether plugin-based or native) would play.

In other words, if I enable looping for modules, I don't want any module (or subsong) to play longer than N seconds/minutes.

saga

« Reply #237 on: 22 Dec '13 - 13:37 »
I don't think that's possible, but you can specify how many times a module will loop, so it will always fade out or stop after the loop point.

Lemu

« Reply #238 on: 22 Dec '13 - 14:17 »
I don't think that's possible, but you can specify how many times a module will loop, so it will always fade out or stop after the loop point.
I guess that problem with that approach would be that it is impossible to detect loop points in certain formats or plugins.

But XMPlay can definitely "know" how long a subsong or song has been playing for, even if it's being played by a plugin.

To me as a developer with many years of experience in audio software, it seems like a trivial task to add a centralized option for general timeout-based auto-advance (even for subsongs, with the new 3.8 plugin API, it seems).

saga

« Reply #239 on: 22 Dec '13 - 14:35 »
XMPlay only has native support for file formats where the loop points are detectable. It is up to the plugin developers to implement custom looping mechanisms for potentitally infinitely looping files, and many compatible WinAmp and XMPlay plugins already have this functionality.

piovrauz

« Reply #240 on: 22 Dec '13 - 15:38 »
Just came to my mind that sid plugin has such option, and some other exotic format should have too.
Native "formats" like modules and mp3 would need XMPlay to decide what to do (they're builtin), while flac and others than have plugins would indeed need some option in the plugin itself.
I guess it's up to the plugin devs, and Ian for the XMPlay part to implement this, as saga said (tm).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #241 on: 22 Dec '13 - 17:17 »
Maybe I missed this, so excuse me if it's already implemented, but what I'd like to see in 3.8 is an option that would impose a limit on the longest time a looped module (in any format, whether plugin-based or native) would play.

In other words, if I enable looping for modules, I don't want any module (or subsong) to play longer than N seconds/minutes.

I recall that being suggested by someone before, but I had forgotten about it until now. It's a nice idea, so here's a last minute update with the option of limiting the looping to a number of times or a number of minutes (whichever is sooner)...

Note that playback isn't stopped after the specified number of minutes, only looping is. Also the timer begins when playback does, eg. if you seek 1 minute in before starting playback, the timer will still be at 0 rather than 1 minute.

Regarding plugins and custom loop-points, the plugin API currently doesn't really allow that to work very well with XMPlay's auto-looping/limiting options, but it was improved recently (when the OGG looping was implemented), whereby plugins can check with XMPlay whether they should be looping or playing to the end. The MIDI plugin will be updated to use that, and it should be useful for any other native (not Winamp) plugins that support custom loop-points too.

Lemu

« Reply #242 on: 22 Dec '13 - 19:06 »
I recall that being suggested by someone before, but I had forgotten about it until now. It's a nice idea, so here's a last minute update with the option of limiting the looping to a number of times or a number of minutes (whichever is sooner)...
Fantastic! Thanks so much for being so responsive and incredibly fast!  :) I don't recall any software with such a wonderful developer! :) Now I'm no longer afraid of losing Winamp.

Actually, I got another idea for enhancement around this field. :D And, in my opinion, it should be quite straightforward to implement too.

In Miscellaneous > Track looping/ending > Loop there are three options: never, always, auto. Could you please add a fourth option -- modules only? If selected, only tracker modules (MOD, S3M, MED, SID, YM, etc.) would be looped. MP3, OGG, and similar formats would not.

The reason I ask for this enhancement is that there is usually no need to loop mp3 songs (because the musicians already recorded whatever they wanted to be looped, as looped in the actual mp3 song) but tracker modules are often very short (say around 1 minute or less) because they are intended by the composers to be looped, and so they should be. I hope this make sense. If not, just tell me, and I'll try to rephrase it.

Thank you so much again and I wish you very happy holidays!  :)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec '13 - 19:08 by Lemu »

saga

« Reply #243 on: 22 Dec '13 - 19:16 »
Are you aware that you can specify per-file, per-path and also per-filetype settings? This is a really useful feature that you can use to apply certain settings to only a bunch of files. Especially useful for having different interpolation options and loop settings for some modules. By creating a settings for an empty path, you can set up defaults that are being used if there are no other settings (for a more specific file or patH) that would override this setting.

piovrauz

« Reply #244 on: 22 Dec '13 - 19:49 »
As saga said, using the "save setting" you can save different "default" config per file formats, including loop/eq/amp; basically you should already be able to do what you wanted (setting that right).
With that "module only" option, if I get what you mean by it, you would lose the ability to loop .ogg or .wav with loop point (common os some audio programs, samples, ...) which may not be wanted.
Making a custom setting will instead leave all options open. :)
It works like this: while playing the filetype you want loop (or not) set the desired config, then go to Options\Saved setting, save selecting "type" the option you want to be customized for that filetype: those will be remembered for next time too. Not bad eh? ;)

Dotpitch

« Reply #245 on: 22 Dec '13 - 21:33 »
In Miscellaneous > Track looping/ending > Loop there are three options: never, always, auto. Could you please add a fourth option -- modules only? If selected, only tracker modules (MOD, S3M, MED, SID, YM, etc.) would be looped. MP3, OGG, and similar formats would not.
IIRC, 'auto' will do exactly that (i.e. loop only tracks with looping information). Unchecking 'Auto-loop any track with ending sound' will prevent looping MP3s which do not end in silence. Is that indeed the thing you're looking for?

Lemu

« Reply #246 on: 23 Dec '13 - 14:55 »
Are you aware that you can specify per-file, per-path and also per-filetype settings? This is a really useful feature that you can use to apply certain settings to only a bunch of files. Especially useful for having different interpolation options and loop settings for some modules. By creating a settings for an empty path, you can set up defaults that are being used if there are no other settings (for a more specific file or patH) that would override this setting.

Yes, that did what I asked for. Especially the empty-path trick seems to be quite important. Thanks!   :)

Having that, I think that the modules only option would indeed be redundant. The multi config feature is much more versatile and overall cool to have. I agree.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec '13 - 14:57 by Lemu »

raina

« Reply #247 on: 23 Dec '13 - 15:23 »
Didn't the checkbox use to be labeled something like "MODs only" and the state reversed?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: 23 Dec '13 - 18:25 »
It's up!

I ran out of time/inspiration to implement the playlist/library/track info functions that I wanted to in the plugin APIs, so I've just added a DDE replacement function there for the time being. Perhaps next time :)

Anyway, have a good XMPlaymas people!

saga

« Reply #249 on: 23 Dec '13 - 18:56 »
\o/ Thanks for the good work!
By the way... isn't it time to include a few more default plugins by now? I'm especially thinking about FLAC and maybe Opus here.

Edit: Did xmp-zip vanish from the XMPlay site? Or is this built right into xmplay.exe now?
« Last Edit: 23 Dec '13 - 22:21 by saga »