Author Topic: choice of plugins  (Read 2916 times)

tongub

choice of plugins
« on: 12 Dec '12 - 11:50 »
I am looking to extend xmplay's support of trackers and was wondering which plugin is most compatible with xmplay and which one has the best accuracy. the ones i was looking at are oldskool, in_modplug, and one not on the support site, extended module player. if i load one of these plugins will xmplay start using the plugin to play all modules or will it only add formats not currently supported. I switched over from winamp to be sure i'm playing the files correctly and if i have to use the same plugin in xmplay as in winamp will xmplay still play the files correctly? thank you for any help you can give.

saga

Re: choice of plugins
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec '12 - 12:50 »
XMPlay will always first try its own module loaders (MOD/XM/S3M/IT/MTM/UMX), and if these fail, it tries the plugins. You may also want to try the Delix plugin, which is especially useful for exotic Amiga formats.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec '12 - 13:55 »
If you want, it is possible to give a Winamp plugin priority over the built-in/native decoders for particular file formats via the plugin's "Priority filetypes" setting (on the Input plugins options page).

tongub

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec '12 - 09:32 »
Thank you for the replies. The reason I had asked this question is because when I had a winamp plugin loaded that handled formats that xmplay also handled and loaded a file that xmplay plays natively and looked in the info tab it doesn't list a plugin as being used to play the file, but if i right click and click on plugin file info, it loads the message and samples window from the plugin and this behavior had me thinking that the input plugin was interfering with xmplay. I had been a long time winamp user and recently switched over and I must say that XMPlay is easily the best music play i had ever used. About The delix plugin, does it have to be setup or have files added to it to make it work? and also on the modland ftp there are 3 downloads for the delix plugin, is there a difference? Thank you for your time.

JFD62780

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug '13 - 07:45 »
...Please forgive me for the necrobump, but I have a sort of issue:  I don't think the "Priority Filetypes" feature is working with me.

Example in question, I try to play a .LOGG file (looping Ogg Vorbis), which I know is supported by the Winamp plugin, VGMStream, yet XMPlay insists on playing it natively, via the built-in FLAC plugin.  Since I'm not sure XMPlay supports looping streams (MP3's, OGG's, FLAC's, etc.), guess what?  It doesn't loop properly, completely starting over as it won't recognize the loop points.

Which brings me to the following question:  Do I need to input quotes around the extensions, and/or commas to separate multiple extensions?  Please help me out...

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug '13 - 17:08 »
...  I don't think the "Priority Filetypes" feature is working with me. Example in question, I try to play a .LOGG file (looping Ogg Vorbis), which I know is supported by the Winamp plugin, VGMStream, yet XMPlay insists on playing it natively, via the built-in FLAC plugin.
Sound like it's related to this case where xmp-gme gets to play the file instead of in_vgm. While the file is not playing, can you open the 'Plugin file info' window? And when it is playing?

Btw, FLAC isn't built-in, so I guess you meant either the built-in Vorbis decoder or the native FLAC plugin.

Do I need to input quotes around the extensions, and/or commas to separate multiple extensions?
No quotes, no dots, separate with spaces.

JFD62780

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug '13 - 02:51 »
I open Plugin File Info and it works like it should; it's just XMPlay STILL insists on playing the thing natively...
« Last Edit: 17 Aug '13 - 03:02 by JFD62780 »