Author Topic: Pointless rant.  (Read 4067 times)

Zarggg

Pointless rant.
« on: 19 Mar '03 - 13:05 »
Well, my HD died last night, and was forced to reformat.  Lost everything. :'(

Guan

Re: Pointless rant.
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar '03 - 14:40 »
Man that gota hurt  :(
Hope it works out for you.

One question though did you have an IBM hd disk?

IBM hd's have had some very high produktion faults  :(

I for one like western digital's hd's especially the ones that have 8mb in cache and western digital's hd's comes whith 5 year warranty  :)

Torkell

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar '03 - 15:48 »
Unlucky :(

I had a rather nasty failure last year - Win2k decided it didn't like my HD controller, which didn't like my HD and killed one of the registry files ("SOFTWARE", to be precise). Took me a couple of days to sort that one out, after trying the recovery console (I wish DOS could read/write NTFS, it'd have made that so much easier), finally finding that the file had been nuked, along with the auto-backup, realising that the only copy I had was the original clean one, restoring that, and then messing around getting everything to behave as it did before (chgning directory pointers, reinstalling stuff, fiddling with settings). I still have a few programs complain that they are unlicensed when in fact they are but the license info got trashed.

Lesson learnt - make regular registry backups and make sure everything is up to date (BIOS flashes, patches, service packs...).

<edit>That may look bad, but at least I didn't lose the whole disk... hope your data's still ok Alpha</edit>
« Last Edit: 19 Mar '03 - 15:50 by BoggyB »

Zarggg

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar '03 - 16:32 »
My data's all gone, actually.  I have to re-rip all my CDs, and find MODs wherever I can.  Also, I have to re-dl XMPlay, mo3enc, vorbis tools, EAC, etc.  And I've lost the 2.7 Beta. :(

Guan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar '03 - 16:42 »
To BoggyB and all others that have problems whith WinXP/w2k
there is a very nice tool that is called ERD Commander 2002 read all aboute it here
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp

Pike84

« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar '03 - 01:07 »
It looks nice, ok - except for the price! You gotta have some critical data to pay that much for a repair prog :P.

tigre

« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar '03 - 14:27 »

My data's all gone, actually.  I have to re-rip all my CDs, and find MODs wherever I can.  Also, I have to re-dl XMPlay, mo3enc, vorbis tools, EAC, etc.  And I've lost the 2.7 Beta. :(

In case you encode CD rips to Vorbis, you could use GT3beta now - the increased quality might be an advantage of the whole mess.

Torkell

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar '03 - 16:21 »
Guan:
I'm not worried about losing my data (it's copied onto my other HD roughly every other day), it's just the pain of having to reinstall everything that doesn't work after having the registry settings patched. Anyway, it's all sorted now (BIOS update & SP3).

Zarggg

« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar '03 - 19:30 »

In case you encode CD rips to Vorbis, you could use GT3beta now - the increased quality might be an advantage of the whole mess.

"GT3beta"? ???