Author Topic: XMPlay Labs: Creating animations using pos_level  (Read 6773 times)

Astral Soup Design

Did you know Ian implemented a function in pos_level and pos_levelmini that lets a face developer to add animation to a playing state?

Usage: pos_level[mini] = 10000+n

n: delay

Usage of this feature must be with extreme care, as it could bloat the skin if you have a lot of frames in mind.
I'm working on a Sound Blaster Anniversary Edition face, here you have a preliminary demonstration showing how does it work that great feature.

Note: The Common Controls of this face are not the definitive ones. I'm working on a variation called "Rundelele" (From RunDLL32), with a Windows 95 flavor.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec '13 - 22:33 by Nicolas @ b&f »

piovrauz

Re: XMPlay Labs: Bringing Paradigms in pos_level
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov '13 - 08:43 »
Reminds me of a AWE64G I got back in the times... HW mixing for modules... XD

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov '13 - 13:00 »
Yup! When I was 5, I had a PC with Sound Blaster 32 and a Infra Remote CD Drive. I really liked how the software looked. Maybe I could rebuild the Mixer skin and the Mulimedia Decks skin.

Yeah, babe! I'm hearing autonomus.s3m from my favourite DAT device!  ;D

r

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov '13 - 16:29 »
I liked how you worked the Unseen developments logo into the skin  ;D

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov '13 - 16:33 »
So do I. It was a recent trick I've learned.

piovrauz

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov '13 - 16:35 »
Funny thing is, that DAT was a fake! XD
Still it was a decent audio player.

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov '13 - 16:50 »
Maybe it could be better a SDAT player... keeping it the Evangelion way. :-)

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec '13 - 14:51 »
I wish the playlist font would be bigger. Most small font skins do not do well in today's bigger displays.

Y@nek®

« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec '13 - 21:18 »
I remember this player, it was installed with my Sound Blaster AWE 64.
Very good idea Nicolas!

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec '13 - 22:53 »
@ChineseSausage: Playlist?... I haven't created it yet! But I'll have it in consideration when I start in that part.

@Yanek: Really did you had a Creative Soundboard AWE64? Wow! Lucky! Thanks for your compliment :-)

@Everybody: Any good Quartz.ttf replacement?

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec '13 - 01:02 »
Sorry, I meant the extended playlist!

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec '13 - 01:08 »
After I finish polishing some details on Rundelele I'll tuneup bigger fonts. 12pt or 14pt... what's the best? Your feedback is important.

Y@nek®

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec '13 - 22:40 »

@Yanek: Really did you had a Creative Soundboard AWE64? Wow! Lucky! Thanks for your compliment :-)

Yes, my first PC included this perfect (for this time) soundcard.
Winamp has plugin which utilize memory of Sb AWE64: AWEamp by Yilard - AWE32/64 native plugin (ver 1.10final).
"For those of you with the Soundblaster AWE32/64 sound card, you can now use this plugin to take full advantage of your card and Winamp. Allows for you to run Winamp while playing a game, sound efx, etc."
I remember my first contact with Atari 130XE (one of the first in Poland) in 1987, that was true computer music :). Some years after that I purchased my first computer - it was Commodore C64 II.
After that was so many diffrent Amiga configs, consoles and PC configurations, incuding many diffrent soundcards.

piovrauz

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec '13 - 08:59 »
Ahh, the AWE64G, good old times.
I didn't know WA had a plugin to use the HW memory, too bad, now the card is gone...
Nostalgia. ;)

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec '13 - 01:05 »
piovrauz, do you want to revive old days?

You just need xmp-midi and... this!

|
|
|
V
« Last Edit: 4 Dec '13 - 10:08 by Nicolas @ b&f »

Chinese Sausage

« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec '13 - 07:06 »
12 pt is just fine :)

piovrauz

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec '13 - 08:36 »
Nicolas @ b&f... thanks, but I already have the ones I liked back then! I usually keep nice stuff.
And I even have the awe samples to make it sound as it sounded back then, or as close as possible. XD
On a side note, I kept a song from the Audio-DVD sampler of the Audigy, namely the Ravel's Bolero.
Sometime all those additional discs contain nice stuff :)

Zarggg

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec '13 - 00:48 »
Oh man, that skin brings back memories of interface design. :)

PSXGamerPro1

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec '13 - 06:29 »
After I finish polishing some details on Rundelele I'll tuneup bigger fonts. 12pt or 14pt... what's the best? Your feedback is important.

I think 14pt is best for me. lol

wrkq

Re: XMPlay Labs: Creating animations using pos_level
« Reply #19 on: 11 Jan '14 - 13:10 »
Semi-offtopic:

OP's screenshot totally reminds me of software I knew as Voyetra Audiostation.
I am well aware it was OEMed under many names (by Turtle Beach, Crystal, IBM, Compaq, Packard Bell), with different logos put in.

From your comments I guess this skin is meant to resemble some Creative soundcard software.
Do you think or know whether there was any relation between them, or did just one of these makers ripped other's GUI off?

(The version I remember was like this, http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:BT_TELEPOWER.jpg , except without P.B. branding.)

EDIT: *facepalms* Why have I thought this thread was fresh?
Sorry for digging it back from the second page...

Dotpitch

« Reply #20 on: 11 Jan '14 - 15:22 »
OP's screenshot totally reminds me of software I knew as Voyetra Audiostation. I am well aware it was OEMed under many names (by Turtle Beach, Crystal, IBM, Compaq, Packard Bell), with different logos put in. ... Do you think or know whether there was any relation between them, or did just one of these makers ripped other's GUI off?
From Wikipedia:
Quote from: wikipedia.org/Turtle Beach Systems
Voyetra, founded by synthesizer pioneer Carmine Bonanno in 1975, had developed drivers and software for nearly every sound card manufacturer in the world during the early 1990s. The purchase of Turtle Beach allowed Voyetra to leverage its close ties with PC manufacturers by providing sound cards bundled with Voyetra software and drivers. (link)
I remember having used that software as well (and I remember some cheesy 'by Voyetra' audio sample). Apparently they're all the same program built by the same company, just with a different logos. As for the design, they wanted it to be "as easy as using a home stereo".

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan '14 - 03:55 »
In fact, it looks so familiar.

wrkq

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan '14 - 09:22 »
Oh, yikes. I guess I again failed to put my point through.

I was asking whether you think the Voyetra stuff and the Creative(?) software Nicolas used for basis of this skin were the same too, or just inspired by each other.

Anyway, thanks for the reply... and once again, I apologize for necroing this thread in the first place.

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan '14 - 11:37 »
I like to receive a lot of comments in my threads, it doesn't matter if those comments are conc2rnong the subject or not. I read attentively every one and I learn a lot with comments like yours. :-)