Author Topic: Classic Spectrum Analyzer - blocks xmplay  (Read 3187 times)

rst

Classic Spectrum Analyzer - blocks xmplay
« on: 13 Oct '15 - 10:55 »
Ok, i am using the winamp plugin Classic Spectrum Analyzer, and the last version of xmplay 3.8.1.18

The plugin works but for some reason some times when we jump to the next song on the list xmplay gets frozen, the sound stops in some seconds and we have to kill the process or just closing the plugin window, that close xmplay and itself.

The easy way to reproduce the freezing is using the search bar on xmplay, that with some touches will get all frozen.

Another curios thing, the plugin sometimes show activity on the spectrum bars when the sound was stopped.

solutions ?

to download the plugin --> http://download.nullsoft.com/customize/component/2007/5/1/P/Classic_Spectrum_Analyzer.exe
« Last Edit: 13 Oct '15 - 11:08 by rst »

piovrauz

Re: Classic Spectrum Analyzer - blocks xmplay
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct '15 - 14:16 »
Probably some issues between the WA wrapper and the spectrum plugin: try with a vanilla XMPlay and just the wrapper + spectrum plugin to be sure it's not another plugin.
I have to say that I only run milkdrop every now and then and it works fine, but all the other VIS I tried crash XMPlay, even the AVS one.
The wrapper dev (Barna) is... not around, I and others tried to contact him (for the CD cover display plugin) but no luck. WA is... still in limbo I guess, no real news after the acquisition.

saga

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct '15 - 14:36 »
WA is... still in limbo I guess, no real news after the acquisition.
That's not quite correct.
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.php?p=3033444&postcount=1188

piovrauz

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct '15 - 15:59 »
I'm old and grumpy and if I'm not running it the SW does not exist.
I mean: I don't trust posts, only actual releases. They're working on it: fine, but there's nothing to use.
They still have a lot to do, who knows when it'll be ready to ship... :P
They're not talking about plugins btw... (exept a Open-MPT based one, hehe)

rst

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov '15 - 20:59 »
the way to reproduce the xmplay freezing with this plugin is also sometimes when using the next song button.
It makes that the whole XMplay gets totally frozen, and the way to close all, the plugin and xmplay is waiting some seconds and clicking the X button on the Classic Spectrum Analyzer window.

I dont know what is wrong but the most curious is that sometimes the spectrum going on with activity when the music gone.

All that unfortunatelly because the plugin is awesome...

some possible solution ?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov '15 - 16:07 »
I just tried that plugin myself to see if I could reproduce the problem, but it doesn't seem to be happening here. What I did was press the previous/next buttons a load of times (must have been over 100 times) to jump up and down the playlist, mostly with a short delay in between. Should that have triggered the problem?

rst

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov '15 - 23:08 »
Ian @ un4seen you should try also the mouse set position on song a lot. Doing that, the problem happen soon. At least here, and dunno why.

Edit: on certain tries the windows error message also appears. Today i captured one and then i went to the event viewer to see if the error was rised, and here you have it. But attention, when this happen, the less times, as soon as click on the error window all is closed, not like when xmplay get frozen.

I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: 4 Nov '15 - 01:09 by rst »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov '15 - 17:16 »
I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem that way either. Is the problem only happening when playing certain files/formats? If you have access to another PC, are you able to reproduce the problem on that too?

In your screenshot, it looks like it was the Winamp vis wrapper (xmp-wavis.dll) that crashed?

rst

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov '15 - 16:43 »
usually and the most time i play flac.
I am not sure if the problem is xmp-wavis.dll, but sometimes when the windows error windows appears, that error is the rised by the system. The most times the crash is when the xmplay get frozen and the only way to close the plugin and xmply is using the X button on the plugin window.

Ian, is it possible that the problem is some vc++ library ? Which one uses xmplay ?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov '15 - 17:30 »
To hopefully get some clues on the freezing problem, please upload a dump file for it. You can use Task Manager's "Create Dump File" option to generate the dump file (when XMPlay is frozen), and then ZIP 'n' upload it here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Make sure you're using the latest stuff when doing that:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

saga

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov '15 - 18:25 »
XP's task manager doesn't have the "Create Dump File" option yet. However, ProcDump can be used to generate the dump instead. I've written up instructions for ProcDump that can of course also be applied to XMPlay in the OpenMPT FAQ. ;)

rst

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov '15 - 20:14 »
i have prodump, but i dont remember now the full command, i know that ian posted it on some thread....

saga

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov '15 - 23:20 »
Oh come on, click that blue link. I said it's all written down there.

rst

« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov '15 - 12:22 »
Ok Ian.

I have updloaded to your ftp two dump into a 7z file with my nick name RST.
There are two dumps i created.

i ran xmplay last version and used it with the spectrum plugin, then i reached the windows crashing error with the 'application error event', and then i used 'procdump PID' to generate its dump.

Also

I ran xmplay last version and used it with the spectrum plugin, then i reached when xmplay gets frozen and the plugin also. I have seen that the last xmplay version allowed me to close itselft, but no the plugin window. Then i used 'procdump PID' to generate its dump.

I hope that helps to identify the problem. whatever it is.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 9 Nov '15 - 17:00 »
Looking at the "frozen" dump file, it doesn't seem like XMPlay was frozen, eg. the main thread appears to be running freely (not stuck somewhere). Are you sure XMPlay was actually frozen, eg. you couldn't interact with the GUI at all?

Regarding the crashed instance, I don't think ProcDump will include an exception record (info on the crash) when just passed a PID. Please try launching XMPlay through ProcDump instead, like this: "procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe". A dump file will then be generated if/when XMPlay crashes.

rst

« Reply #15 on: 9 Nov '15 - 18:00 »
in xmpay 3.8.1.18 and 19, when the problem happen, xmplay is frozen, but on the new 3.8.1.20, the music just stopped, but yes, i was able to close xmplay by its own, the plugin window kept.

Anyways i will try that other command you are saying....

Edit 1: when the problem happen, xmplay.exe process is eating around the 25% of the cpu. Usually because i have used the song progress bar clicking on it with the mouse.

Edit 2: sometimes using the progress bar, xmplay gets totally frozen and doesnt respond eating 25% of cpu. Like i said before, to close it, we have to use the plugin X button, that it is also frozen, but will respond to X button in some seconds.

Edit 3: i cant send you the dump because when the problem happen and the sound stopped, xmplay keeps eating 25% of cpu and procdump doesnt generate anything. Only i can do is close all.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov '15 - 01:01 by rst »

piovrauz

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov '15 - 06:59 »
I'd like to report something that happened with milkdrop, I think the issue rst is experiencing may be related.
Last stuff XMPlay, playing a FLAC file, WASAPI output, milkdrop.

What happens is that if I let milkdrop windows on at default size and don't go fullscreen it hangs, taking XMPlay with it after a while.
If I am fast enough I can close milkdrop and "save" xMPlay.
I never noticed it because I always went fullscreen, but it happened and so here I am, reporting.
I think there may be issues with the Winamp plugin wrapper itself, milkdrop is fine when run on Winamp.

rst

« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov '15 - 13:59 »
wasapi cant be, because i use XP X64 SP2, that wasapi is only available for vista and ahead, i think !!
I use Creative ASIO, Sound Blaster Audigy 2

piovrauz

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov '15 - 17:49 »
I didn't mean it was wasapi...
Anyway in the not so distant past I used XP (32bit), and I got creative ASIO too (Audigy2).
I don't know if my problem started after the switch to 7, but I think it's more probable that's the wrapper...

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 10 Nov '15 - 17:56 »
Edit 1: when the problem happen, xmplay.exe process is eating around the 25% of the cpu. Usually because i have used the song progress bar clicking on it with the mouse.

In cases like that where XMPlay is still running (not crashing), you can use the ProcDump PID method to generate a dump file.

rst

« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov '15 - 20:36 »
a dump was capture by that last way. See the fact that sometimes the problem always happen without user usages.
I really cant figure about the problem.

Edit 1: i am also trying to use the procdump command that Ian pointed, and while i am trying to obtain a dump when the problem comes, let me show you what i see on the dos command when i run 'procdump.exe'

Code: [Select]
C:\Portables\XMPlay>procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe

ProcDump v7.1 - Writes process dump files
Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
With contributions from Andrew Richards

Process:               xmplay.exe (1076)
CPU threshold:         n/a
Performance counter:   n/a
Commit threshold:      n/a
Threshold seconds:     10
Hung window check:     Disabled
Log debug strings:     Disabled
Exception monitor:     Unhandled
Exception filter:      *
Terminate monitor:     Disabled
Cloning type:          Disabled
Concurrent limit:      n/a
Avoid outage:          n/a
Number of dumps:       1
Dump folder:           .\
Dump filename/mask:    PROCESSNAME_YYMMDD_HHMMSS

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process.

[15:07:19] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION
[15:07:19] Exception: 80000004.SINGLE_STEP
[15:20:51] Exception: 000006B5
[15:28:33] Exception: 000006B5
[15:31:33] The process has exited.
[15:31:33] Dump count not reached.

C:\Portables\XMPlay>

I think that information it would help but, using that command it was no possible to obtain the dump like you see on the last line. I had to click xmplay X button and then the plugin X button to close all, because both were frozen.

Edit 2: I have found that when i want to add 'winamp vis wrapper' in DSP and general plugins, and then click on 'config' button another xmplay error appears. I think that maybe has something to be with the spectrum plugin problems.... I clearly remember that problem never happend before.

« Last Edit: 12 Nov '15 - 11:59 by rst »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov '15 - 16:56 »

From your latest dump file of that problem, it seems to be xmp-wavis that is using the CPU. It has 2 threads running that appear to be in busy loops (no pauses), and as there are 8 CPU cores, that means 25% (2/8) CPU usage. To confirm that, you could try running Process Explorer and checking the XMPlay process "Threads" list. I guess those 2 threads are waiting for something to happen, but I'm not sure what.

rst

« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov '15 - 19:17 »
Ian, and that error i have posted in the last edit ?