Author Topic: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 124714 times)

saga

Re: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #425 on: 26 Nov '16 - 13:55 »
I got a strange hang while trying to seek in a module file (but could not reproduce it afterwards). The memory dump from that hang has been uploaded as xmplay-hang-saga-2016-11-26.7z.

PurpleXVI

« Reply #426 on: 28 Nov '16 - 22:10 »
I've got a couple of .ogg files that are absolutely functional(VLC, for instance, can play them), but XMPlay just refuses to add them to a playlist. Just acts like they're not real, playable files, doesn't even provide an error message or anything.

Anyone got any idea what the cause could be?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #427 on: 29 Nov '16 - 16:00 »
I got a strange hang while trying to seek in a module file (but could not reproduce it afterwards). The memory dump from that hang has been uploaded as xmplay-hang-saga-2016-11-26.7z.

That appears to have been a deadlock between the main thread and the output thread, caused by a SendMessage call in the xmp-scrobbler plugin. Looking at the plugin's source code, the problem appears to be the SendMessage calls in the XMP_FetchInfo function. Those calls are sending IPC_GETOUTPUTTIME (wParam=1) messages to get the length of the current track. They could be replaced with xmpfmisc->GetTag(TAG_LENGTH) calls, like this:

Code: [Select]
int XMP_GetLength()
{
char *t = xmpfmisc->GetTag(TAG_LENGTH);
if (!t) return 0;
int len = atof(t) * 1000;
xmpfmisc->Free(t);
return len;
}

xmpFile.length = XMP_GetLength();

I've got a couple of .ogg files that are absolutely functional(VLC, for instance, can play them), but XMPlay just refuses to add them to a playlist. Just acts like they're not real, playable files, doesn't even provide an error message or anything.

Anyone got any idea what the cause could be?

Please upload the troublesome files to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Sasha

« Reply #428 on: 30 Nov '16 - 16:36 »
xmplay.exe v3.8.2.15.I couldn't load file into library using -library
command line option(song just opens in Main Window and play);I didn't integrate Context Menu options into Registry using GUI(I don't like to implement into Registry).Did anybody else have problem with -library option?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: 30 Nov '16 - 17:37 »
XMPlay doesn't currently have a "-library" command-line option, so that would explain why you're having trouble getting it to work :)

Here's an update that adds that option:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Sasha

« Reply #430 on: 1 Dec '16 - 06:14 »

Thanks,your new command line option -library works perfect now.
So I was mistaken because text on page:

https://support.xmplay.com/article.php?id=65

"Context menu

Instead of just opening a file by double-clicking it in Explorer, you can also use some more
specific actions in the context menu. Add to XMPlay-list will add the file to the playlist, while
Add to XMPlay-library will add it to the library. To load complete folders via their context
menu in XMPlay, tick Folders. The sub options determines whether XMPlay should look in
subfolders of the added folder as well (note that this option also applies to drag-and-dropped
folders and folders passed via the command line)".

that were only options from XMPlay GUI,not intended to be used as command line options.
Command Line options are on page:

https://support.xmplay.com/article.php?id=83

"Flags

-play will force the start of playback.
    -tray will minimize XMPlay to tray directly.
    -list has to be the first argument, so xmplay -list C:\Windows\Media\ding.wav. The files will now be added to the playlist, irrespective of the Default action you chose on the Integration page of Options and stuff. "

I am afraid that I am mistaken about -list command line option,too:
No problem when XMPlay task is opened to load many songs in Playlist Panel/
Extended Playlist.But when XMPlay is not turned on,I use command line option -list
to Add 3 songs To List,3 x XMPlay program appears but everyone of 3 XMPlay tasks with
only 1 song of them per Playlist.No problem Adding To List only 1 song when software
is not loaded in Taskbar(player appears and 1 song is in playlist).

Dotpitch

« Reply #431 on: 1 Dec '16 - 06:31 »
I am afraid that I am mistaken about -list command line option,too:
No problem when XMPlay task is opened to load many songs in Playlist Panel/
Extended Playlist.But when XMPlay is not turned on,I use command line option -list
to Add 3 songs To List,3 x XMPlay program appears but everyone of 3 XMPlay tasks with
only 1 song of them per Playlist.No problem Adding To List only 1 song when software
is not loaded in Taskbar(player appears and 1 song is in playlist).
Go to Options and stuff > Miscellaneous and untick 'Allow multiple instances'. If you also set Options and stuff > Integration > Default action to 'Add to playlist', that should do what you're looking for.

PurpleXVI

« Reply #432 on: 6 Dec '16 - 17:42 »
Please upload the troublesome files to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Apologies for the slow response, but I've uploaded three of the troublesome files. They're from the VA-11 Hall-A soundtrack.

Showtime.ogg
A_new_frontier.ogg
A_rene.ogg

LaGrange

« Reply #433 on: 6 Dec '16 - 22:39 »
Windows Defender updated earlier today (1:46pm EST 6 Dec 2016), and subsequently flagged XMPlay.exe as having the Win32/Detplock Trojan, and deleted it. I had XMPlay 3.8.1 on my hard drive. So I downloaded the latest version (3.8.2) from the XMPlay website (http://support.xmplay.com/files/20/xmplay382.zip?v=895103). Windows Defender immediately deleted it, also flagging it as having the Win32/Detplock Trojan.

I uploaded this file (xmplay382.zip) to Virus Total (https://www.virustotal.com/en/) and the detection ratio for this file is 5/55, which isn't all that great!

I know I can restore it from the Windows Defender quarantine and make an exclusion for it in Windows Defender. But is there any way to verify that this is a false positive?

Thanks.

Dotpitch

« Reply #434 on: 7 Dec '16 - 06:51 »
But is there any way to verify that this is a false positive?
No, you'll have to trust the website you downloaded it from. You can get it from the main site as well: top of this page.

XMPlay gets flagged quite often due to the custom packer code it's using, but so far that has always been an overreaction from the antivirus side. Uploading it to VirusTotal is a good idea, it'll show that the various virus scanners don't agree on whether it's a virus at all. If the ones which do flag it report different names, where one of the names contains 'pack', I'm quite confident it's a false positive. The only way to be really safe is to submit the file for examination at every company, so it can be excluded in the next definition update.

LaGrange

« Reply #435 on: 7 Dec '16 - 12:48 »
No, you'll have to trust the website you downloaded it from. You can get it from the main site as well: top of this page.
Thanks so much for your help. Here's something interesting that just happened. I just downloaded the file from the link you gave: http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html It downloaded fine - Windows Defender did not delete it automatically when it downloaded, nor did it delete it upon manually scanning it.

So then I downloaded the file from the link I gave in the earlier post: http://support.xmplay.com/files/20/xmplay382.zip?v=895103 This time Windows Defender immediately quarantined it as having the trojan. Clearly, then, these are two different files, and the Windows Defender definitions update from yesterday flags the second file but not the first. And sure enough, the hashtags are different:

File from http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html (not quarantined):
File    : <xmplay38.zip>
MD5     : 44B852D7 C51C389B E9D5C26B EC5F359F
SHA-1   : 70422C6E 72D9CF7C 563DFB42 58E410D1 03143129
SHA-256 : D7762ED5 A4ADFDF5 853782C6 B5862B74 29AC1DAD
          4699E256 9448A194 A431D98D
SHA-512 : C1A48758 74004D9E FE32F54B 004F6060 7A4A5B11
          A43AF709 C1D3A2C4 8AE6D2B0 8F93E0FC BE58A403
          2BBBF090 9E3C1AF4 6C7084D9 2F5C43B9 4EC6AC48
          E9CC7FC6
Size-64 : 00000000 0005C571

File from http://support.xmplay.com/files/20/xmplay382.zip?v=895103 (immediately quarantined):
File    : <xmplay382.zip>
MD5     : AF62B9AD 0744A28D 21DE5BDD 578D1766
SHA-1   : E4DDB724 9D8B8292 62932CE2 CAC76956 C8EFB132
SHA-256 : A6A2F443 1CF3E637 374BAD68 0774FC45 2DE5E1C7
          4A379732 D5978967 3F53A952
SHA-512 : 2CAF6FD4 78A3771B 779A3C91 2AE2690A 76DC90BD
          F5435AEC B13D7A66 8FA598C7 7351668F B1CF197D
          BC7A231E 298AA93A 35FA458B B05B372A 81B9A1A3
          C5DDC9BF
Size-64 : 00000000 0005C4FE

The non-quarantined zip file is 115 bytes longer, though both files have the same six files in them:
xmp-cd.dll
xmplay.exe
xmplay.txt
xmp-wadsp.dll
xmp-wma.dll
xmp-zip.dll

It seems strange that support.xmplay.com flags Defender, but un4seen.com does not. I had assumed these were basically the same source for the XMPlay app, but perhaps they are not?

saga

« Reply #436 on: 7 Dec '16 - 12:51 »
The file on support.xmplay.com is XMPlay 3.8.2, while the one here on the site is 3.8.2.3, containing a couple of bugfixes. This might explain why people keep reporting crashes that have been fixed in 3.8.2.3 - they might be downloading the outdated version from support.xmplay.com.

LaGrange

« Reply #437 on: 7 Dec '16 - 13:02 »
The file on support.xmplay.com is XMPlay 3.8.2, while the one here on the site is 3.8.2.3, containing a couple of bugfixes. This might explain why people keep reporting crashes that have been fixed in 3.8.2.3 - they might be downloading the outdated version from support.xmplay.com.
OK, so they are two different versions of the app. So for whatever reason, the new Windows Defender definitions flag 3.8.2 (and earlier, since it originally was my copy of 3.8.1 that got quarantined), but they don't flag 3.8.2.3.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if these two downloads are really from two distinct websites with distinct file sources, etc.

In any event, you all have helped me solve my problem, since I'm now running 3.8.2.3 without having to make an exclusion. So, thanks!

saga

« Reply #438 on: 7 Dec '16 - 13:11 »
The thing is simply that the download on support.xmplay.com was forgotten to be updated to the most recent version. I think Ian also regularly submits binaries to Antivirus companies to whitelist them, maybe this was not done yet for the "original" 3.8.2 release, but it was done for the more current 3.8.2.3 release.

LaGrange

« Reply #439 on: 7 Dec '16 - 13:13 »
The thing is simply that the download on support.xmplay.com was forgotten to be updated to the most recent version. I think Ian also regularly submits binaries to Antivirus companies to whitelist them, maybe this was not done yet for the "original" 3.8.2 release, but it was done for the more current 3.8.2.3 release.
Thanks. That sounds like a very plausible explanation.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: 7 Dec '16 - 13:14 »
Apologies for the slow response, but I've uploaded three of the troublesome files. They're from the VA-11 Hall-A soundtrack.

Showtime.ogg
A_new_frontier.ogg
A_rene.ogg

They're Theora files, which unfortunately aren't currently supported by XMPlay. The oggz-rip tool could be used to extract the Vorbis audio (which will be playable with XMPlay) from those files:

www.xiph.org/oggz/

Windows Defender updated earlier today (1:46pm EST 6 Dec 2016), and subsequently flagged XMPlay.exe as having the Win32/Detplock Trojan, and deleted it. I had XMPlay 3.8.1 on my hard drive. So I downloaded the latest version (3.8.2) from the XMPlay website (http://support.xmplay.com/files/20/xmplay382.zip?v=895103). Windows Defender immediately deleted it, also flagging it as having the Win32/Detplock Trojan.

That will probably be a false positive, but I don't seem to be able to reproduce it here (with the latest Windows Defender definitions on Windows 7). What Windows version and Windows Defender client/engine/definitions versions are you using? If you are using the latest definitions, then please report the problem to Microsoft here:

www.microsoft.com/en-us/security/portal/submission/submit.aspx

Thanks so much for your help. Here's something interesting that just happened. I just downloaded the file from the link you gave: http://www.un4seen.com/xmplay.html It downloaded fine - Windows Defender did not delete it automatically when it downloaded, nor did it delete it upon manually scanning it.

So then I downloaded the file from the link I gave in the earlier post: http://support.xmplay.com/files/20/xmplay382.zip?v=895103 This time Windows Defender immediately quarantined it as having the trojan. Clearly, then, these are two different files, and the Windows Defender definitions update from yesterday flags the second file but not the first.

OK. I guess there's no real need to report the problem with the older XMPlay version (3.8.2) to Microsoft then, so long as it's fine with the latest version (3.8.2.3).

I have now put the 3.8.2.3 update on the XMPlay Support site.

PurpleXVI

« Reply #441 on: 7 Dec '16 - 17:22 »
They're Theora files, which unfortunately aren't currently supported by XMPlay. The oggz-rip tool could be used to extract the Vorbis audio (which will be playable with XMPlay) from those files:

www.xiph.org/oggz/

Thank you, at least that gives me a starting point for converting them into a less niche format.

saga

« Reply #442 on: 13 Dec '16 - 23:11 »
It seems like playing files from HTTPS resources is broken in the latest stuff version. HTTP works fine.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: 16 Dec '16 - 16:59 »
HTTPS seems to still be working OK in my little tests. Are you having the problem with a particular URL/server, and if so, do you get any problem/warning when opening it in a browser?

saga

« Reply #444 on: 16 Dec '16 - 21:24 »
It might have been a temporary hickup - I just tried it again, and now it works. Downloading the same file from a browser did work when I tested it.

r

« Reply #445 on: 16 Jan '17 - 02:43 »
I came across a bug when adding the following MP3 link to XMPlay:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/sound/movie.mp3

The track successfully plays, but after playing, XMPlay will hang with a "Buffering..." message and CPU will take up 25%.  I have to kill XMPlay manually via the Task Manager.

Can anyone else duplicate this?  Could be related to the HTTPS issue talked about above.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan '17 - 02:54 by r »

winner

« Reply #446 on: 16 Jan '17 - 03:36 »

The track successfully plays, but after playing, XMPlay will hang with a "Buffering..." message and CPU will take up 25%.  I have to kill XMPlay manually via the Task Manager.

Can anyone else duplicate this?  Could be related to the HTTPS issue talked about above.
Confirmed, with XMPlay version 3.8.2.17.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: 16 Jan '17 - 17:57 »

Here's an update to fix that:

r

« Reply #448 on: 18 Jan '17 - 05:01 »
Here's an update to fix that:

Works!  Thanks Ian as always!

moriez

« Reply #449 on: 31 Jan '17 - 21:15 »
Query:

I'm  trying a new DAC that has the annoying habit to silence the first 0.5 second of a new track. Even when I load the entire album. I think I tried every single option under Output but can't correct it. Both WASAPI output set to 24 bit/44.100 (also tried 16 bit) with pretty much my entire music library being 16bit/44.100. Setting buffer to as low as 0.100s doesn't correct it either. Then, as I've been curious try out AIMP, this player has no issues at all.

Where lies the difference between these players and can this be solved somehow within XMPlay?

Cheers!