Author Topic: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs  (Read 170837 times)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: 3.8 reports, queries and bugs
« Reply #575 on: 15 Aug '18 - 17:17 »
I don't seem to be able to reproduce that here, so please upload a dump file from the crash there. You can generate a dump file using the ProcDump tool. For example, run "procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe". Then ZIP and upload the generated dump file to have a look at here:

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

If you haven't already done so, please first try to reproduce the crash with latest build, available here:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Also use that build when generating the dump file (if it crashes).

thanos

« Reply #576 on: 21 Aug '18 - 11:03 »
I managed to crash the version using the same trick (version 3.8.3.9 as it says in the options menu)
 It didn't generate a crash dump file at all. This was pasted from the command line:

Code: [Select]
ProcDump v9.0 - Sysinternals process dump utilityCopyright (C) 2009-2017 Mark Russinovich and Andrew Richards
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Process:               xmplay (2).exe (2304)
CPU threshold:         n/a
Performance counter:   n/a
Commit threshold:      n/a
Threshold seconds:     n/a
Hung window check:     Disabled
Log debug strings:     Disabled
Exception monitor:     Unhandled
Exception filter:      [Includes]
                       [Excludes]
Terminate monitor:     Disabled
Cloning type:          Disabled
Concurrent limit:      n/a
Avoid outage:          n/a
Number of dumps:       1
Dump folder:           .\
Dump filename/mask:    PROCESSNAME_YYMMDD_HHMMSS
Queue to WER:          Disabled
Kill after dump:       Disabled

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process.

[12:47:46] Exception: 4000001F
[12:47:46] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION
[12:47:46] Exception: C0000005.ACCESS_VIOLATION
[12:49:10] The process has exited.
[12:49:10] Dump count not reached.

C:\Windows\System32>
So it doesn't really crash no? I had to manually kill it through taskmanager (windows didn't show the crash dialog) and it also didn't show any unusual signs like high cpu or memory usage. So it just freezes?
Any ideas for the cause?
PS: The ACCESS_VIOLATION is normal and happens everytime with a working copy too

thanos

« Reply #577 on: 21 Aug '18 - 11:43 »
Yeah nevermind, I figured it out myself. The problem was on my end. Apparently the config I was using was somehow incompatible with the new version and I was dumb enough not to try it with factory settings.
After some trial and error, I came into the conclusion that the problem may or may not be a parameter called AutoSet which was set to 1. I set it to 0 and I THINK it fixed the crashes. Out of curiousity, what does it do?

But yea, sorry for wasting your time, everything is working fine now :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #578 on: 21 Aug '18 - 13:05 »
I managed to crash the version using the same trick (version 3.8.3.9 as it says in the options menu)
 It didn't generate a crash dump file at all. This was pasted from the command line:

That looks like XMPlay didn't crash. Did XMPlay just freeze before too and not actually crash? If it did crash before, perhaps you could try again a few times, in case the freeze is something else. If it does just freeze then you can use Task Manager's "Create Dump File" option to generate the dump file.

Yeah nevermind, I figured it out myself. The problem was on my end. Apparently the config I was using was somehow incompatible with the new version and I was dumb enough not to try it with factory settings.
After some trial and error, I came into the conclusion that the problem may or may not be a parameter called AutoSet which was set to 1. I set it to 0 and I THINK it fixed the crashes. Out of curiousity, what does it do?

The "AutoSet" XMPLAY.INI entry contains the "Automatically load saved settings" option setting (in the "Saved Settings" options page). When that's enabled, XMPlay will look for saved settings for each file that you play. Does the problem return when you re-enable that option? If so, please upload your XMPLAY.SET file to have a look at here:

thanos

« Reply #579 on: 21 Aug '18 - 13:38 »
The "AutoSet" XMPLAY.INI entry contains the "Automatically load saved settings" option setting (in the "Saved Settings" options page). When that's enabled, XMPlay will look for saved settings for each file that you play. Does the problem return when you re-enable that option?

Oh, didn't even realize that! Yes, the problem immediately returned when I enabled the "automatically load settings" option! So it's about the autoload settings file? I tried uploading it to the ftp but it keeps giving me a "critical file transfer error". I don't know what to do.

Keltic Danor

• XMPlay Support
« Reply #580 on: 21 Aug '18 - 13:52 »
I tried uploading it to the ftp but it keeps giving me a "critical file transfer error". I don't know what to do.
Maybe just email it as an attachment to support@xmplay.com if ftp is giving you mischief.

thanos

« Reply #581 on: 21 Aug '18 - 13:56 »
I tried uploading it to the ftp but it keeps giving me a "critical file transfer error". I don't know what to do.
Maybe just email it as an attachment to support@xmplay.com if ftp is giving you mischief.
Sent!

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #582 on: 21 Aug '18 - 14:14 »
The support@xmplay.com email address is currently still being forwarded to Keltic's old email address. Should probably update that :) ... In the meantime, you can send the file to the email address in my forum profile. If you can generate a dump file with Procdump, you could upload it to a free file sharing service (eg. wikisend).

If you remove/rename the XMPLAY.SET file, does that stop the crash happening?

thanos

« Reply #583 on: 21 Aug '18 - 15:08 »
Okay, sent again. And yes, either deleting the xmplay.set file or disabling AutoSet seems to work

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #584 on: 22 Aug '18 - 13:28 »
Your XMPLAY.SET file seems fine and I'm still unable to reproduce the crash with it. Can you reproduce the crash by loading the saved settings manually (right-clicking on them in the "Saved Settings" list)? In case it also depends on some other setting, can you send your XMPLAY.INI file too? Please also try to generate a dump file again. If XMPlay is freezing rather than crashing then you can use Task Manager's "Create Dump File" option (right-click on xmplay.exe in the processes list) to generate the dump file when that happens.

thanos

« Reply #585 on: 22 Aug '18 - 16:04 »
Yep, it's a real crash, not a freeze. I just got confused when running through procdump.exe and it didn't produce the typical crash dialog. Tried running it with -h(ung window) and then procdump detected it, but still refused to create the dump for some reason.

Anyway, I did some more trial-and-erroring and found another (temporary?) fix by deleting the Info parameter that is not many lines from AutoSet. Sent you the .ini file again.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #586 on: 23 Aug '18 - 12:49 »
Unfortunately, I'm still unable to reproduce the crash here, so I think a dump file will be needed. If you're having no luck with procdump, another thing you could try is applying this "localdumps-full" registry entry:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/localdumps.zip

Windows will then generate a dump file in "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps" whenever a crash occurs. After you have got a dump file for the XMPlay crash, you can use the "localdumps-off" registry file to disable the dump file generation.

saga

« Reply #587 on: 23 Aug '18 - 21:30 »
XMPlay appears to have stopped being able to directly download modules from The Mod Archive via HTTPS for me, for example: https://api.modarchive.org/downloads.php?moduleid=183776
The HTTP version loads without problems. I'm on the latest "stuff" version and Windows 7.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #588 on: 24 Aug '18 - 13:35 »
That example URL is working here. Do you see the "downloading..." counter when opening the playlist entry there? Also, have you assigned the IT format to a plugin or are you using XMPlay's built-in IT support?

saga

« Reply #589 on: 24 Aug '18 - 16:19 »
Strangely enough, it works now on my end as well (after a reboot). I think I have had this before, that XMPlay would refuse to play those URLs even after restarting it (it would strike them through instantly), but later it would work again. Nothing should have changed on the server side since then.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug '18 - 17:28 by saga »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #590 on: 24 Aug '18 - 17:55 »
Was a single or double line drawn over the playlist entry? A double would mean that XMPlay wasn't able to successfully open the URL, while a single would mean it could open the URL but the file format wasn't recognised. Next time the problem happens, you could try opening the same URL in other software (eg. a browser) and see if that works.

saga

« Reply #591 on: 24 Aug '18 - 22:00 »
The same URL was accessible from Firefox. I don't remember right now if one or two lines were shown.

Knurek

« Reply #592 on: 23 Sep '18 - 11:13 »
Ian, I've uploaded riff_examples.zip to the incoming.
Inside there are two files using RIFF header with non-standard codec (ATRAC3 and ATRAC9 respectively). They can be played by the included VGMStream plugin.
Here's my problem: As both of them have standard RIFF headers, XMPlay detects them as WAV and detects their duration by the sample number.
Problem is, both files are using loops, and get updated with correct duration only while playing.
AT3: reported 2:07, actual duration while playing 4:21
AT9: reported 2:27, actual duration while playing 4:25
Could you somehow update the WAV parser to skip those two extensions and let the plugin handle duration parsing?

Azevedo

« Reply #593 on: 27 Sep '18 - 17:40 »
v. 3.8.3.4 has a bug with these two skins:

- Royale Vista (crashes always!)
- Neutron (crashes only when opening .zip/.7z files AND the playlist is being shown)

It simply crashes and don't show any error messages. Simply crashes

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #594 on: 3 Oct '18 - 12:06 »
Ian, I've uploaded riff_examples.zip to the incoming.
Inside there are two files using RIFF header with non-standard codec (ATRAC3 and ATRAC9 respectively). They can be played by the included VGMStream plugin.
Here's my problem: As both of them have standard RIFF headers, XMPlay detects them as WAV and detects their duration by the sample number.
Problem is, both files are using loops, and get updated with correct duration only while playing.
AT3: reported 2:07, actual duration while playing 4:21
AT9: reported 2:27, actual duration while playing 4:25
Could you somehow update the WAV parser to skip those two extensions and let the plugin handle duration parsing?

I think you can fix that by adding "at3 at9" to the vgmstream plugin's "Priority filetypes" box (in the Plugins > Input options page).

ps: sorry about the delay!

v. 3.8.3.4 has a bug with these two skins:

- Royale Vista (crashes always!)
- Neutron (crashes only when opening .zip/.7z files AND the playlist is being shown)

It simply crashes and don't show any error messages. Simply crashes

I don't seem to be able to reproduce that here. Please first try this latest build:

If the problems still happen with that then please generate and upload a dump file for it (with that updated EXE). You can generate a dump file using the ProcDump tool. For example, run "procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe". Then ZIP and upload the generated dump file to have a look at here:

Azevedo

« Reply #595 on: 4 Oct '18 - 15:54 »

I don't seem to be able to reproduce that here. Please first try this latest build:

If the problems still happen with that then please generate and upload a dump file for it (with that updated EXE). You can generate a dump file using the ProcDump tool. For example, run "procdump -e -ma -x . xmplay.exe". Then ZIP and upload the generated dump file to have a look at here:

Looks like it was a v. 3.8.3.4 bug. Not crashing at 3.8.3.10. thanks

Knurek

« Reply #596 on: 4 Oct '18 - 21:32 »
I think you can fix that by adding "at3 at9" to the vgmstream plugin's "Priority filetypes" box (in the Plugins > Input options page).
This works only when using the xmp-vgmstream, doesn't help while using the Winamp plugin.
(XMPlay VGMStream plugin is extremely barebones, with no config panel, no subsong support, etc)

winner

« Reply #597 on: 6 Oct '18 - 05:57 »
... meanwhile, XMPlay crashes immediately on my Windows 10 system, using the Rated skin, for any version newer than 3.8.3.4.

EDIT: Even using the default skin, XMPlay does not launch.
« Last Edit: 6 Oct '18 - 12:43 by winner »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #598 on: 8 Oct '18 - 17:29 »
This works only when using the xmp-vgmstream, doesn't help while using the Winamp plugin.
(XMPlay VGMStream plugin is extremely barebones, with no config panel, no subsong support, etc)

XMPlay does currently favour native plugins for info scanning because most Winamp plugins don't/can't provide tags. Plus the native system is generally faster, especially when dealing with archives. Still, I'll look into allowing prioritised Winamp plugins to be used to scan info.

... meanwhile, XMPlay crashes immediately on my Windows 10 system, using the Rated skin, for any version newer than 3.8.3.4.

EDIT: Even using the default skin, XMPlay does not launch.

That's strange. I don't see any changes since 3.8.3.4 that could explain that. Perhaps your anti-virus is stopping the update running. Does the problem still happen if you temporarily disable your AV?

Knurek

« Reply #599 on: 8 Oct '18 - 18:30 »
I've managed a workaround:
1. Close XMPlay, remove the Winamp plugin, copy the XMPlay version.
2. Run XMPlay, Add files to playlist, Close XMPlay
3. Remove the XMPlay plugin, copy the Winamp version, run XMPlay.
Not ideal, but workable, considering I have 30-40 hour long playlists.