Author Topic: [Solved] How to listen a DTS audio file? (was How to listen a DSP audio file?)  (Read 7723 times)

Vkthor

Hi.
I have got a DSP DTS audio file and I would like to listen it with XMPlay but I did not found the «right» plugin to do it.
Some time ago I could find and install a flac plugin. It was easy.
I have found some DSP plugins but each one says a lot ot things I do not know what they mean.
I just want to listen a dsp DTS file.
Can you please tell me which one is the right one?
Tank you.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan '14 - 22:14 by Vkthor »

Dotpitch

Re: How to listen a DSP audio file?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec '13 - 14:24 »
A .dsp-audio file could be a Dynamic Studio Professional Module (though they are usually saved as .dsm, see Modland). I guess the ModPlug plugin should be able to handle it? If not, please upload the file, so we can take a look at it.

saga

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec '13 - 14:58 »
ModPlug/OpenMPT does not support any module format called "DSP". The closest would be "DSM".

piovrauz

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec '13 - 15:25 »
Post a link to one of those "dsp-audio" files you're talking about, thanks.

Vkthor

:-[
I am so sorry!
I forgot that I was writing in English.
It is not a DSP audio file, but a DTS audio file.
It have uploaded it here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!rB8QSLKA!a8EB6ADluz-vBiruYQKV4G9hNRFciMOig9hYpxn-_jE

Tank you so much for your answers and forgive my mistake.
Hope you will enjoy the music
 ;D

Ionut Cristea

You can use xmp-ffmpeg addon. It will work just fine ;)

piovrauz

For DTS you should be able to use the DTS winamp input plugin, or the new xmp-ffmpeg one.
I'll try your file and let you know.

EDIT: tested, xmp-ffdshow works fine, WA plugin seems to have issues.
So, since WA is no more developed, go for xmp-ffmpeg. :)
« Last Edit: 29 Dec '13 - 16:10 by piovrauz »

Dotpitch

It is not a DSP audio file, but a DTS audio file.
That's quite a difference! ;) Could you try in_dts and/or xmp-ffmpeg and let us know whether it worked out?

Lunar07

A plugin that allows you many different options for AC3/DTC is the WinAmp in_winampac3
including spdif pass through and the speaker setup.

piovrauz

The WinAmp in_winampac3, which used to work well, now exibits strange issues on my system, so I'd go for xmp-ffmpeg, which has no issues.

Lunar07

The WinAmp in_winampac3, which used to work well, now exibits strange issues on my system, so I'd go for xmp-ffmpeg, which has no issues.

Systems differ.  I gave that plugin as an example because it allows for lots of options.
xmp-ffmpeg does not.
Of course, it all depends on the original poster and his needs.
At least he has info on all the plugins he can ever dream to have :))))

piovrauz

Well, it's true that systems differ, I was just giving my experience, one could still try it, I'm not veto-ing anything (and after all, who would care? XD)
It's true WA ac3/dts plugin gives a lot of options while xmp-ffmpeg does not, but considered that xmp-ffmpeg is rather new, so there should be room for improvement.
Was wondering about what would happen if someone buys WA from AOL, and decides that the plugin interface is patented... XD

Ionut Cristea

Well, it's true that systems differ, I was just giving my experience, one could still try it, I'm not veto-ing anything (and after all, who would care? XD)
It's true WA ac3/dts plugin gives a lot of options while xmp-ffmpeg does not, but considered that xmp-ffmpeg is rather new, so there should be room for improvement.
Was wondering about what would happen if someone buys WA from AOL, and decides that the plugin interface is patented... XD

What kind of options do you want xmp-ffmpeg to have?

piovrauz

Well, personally I don't have a true wishlist, maybe it would be nice to have it pass the actual format shown somewhere and having configurable decoding setup.
Compared to the WA ac3/dts plugin, as you can see by loading it, there are no options relative to speakers matrix, levels, normalization, spdif output, ...
I suppose some are unneeded since they can be done by XMPlay,  or simple they are not possible (dunno, really, maybe spdif out?).
I had this on my system because I was using it before the native ac3 decoder appeared ;) so I just checked if it could decode dts since that was the question in this thread, and sadly found it didn't work, even after trying different options.
Since xmp-ffmpeg does not decode video if the proper vis is not selected, I have no major issue with it right now.

Vkthor

Hi everybody.
Happy 2014 for you all.
I have just arrived from holiday.
I did not think about any plugins crossing over 2013 to 2014.
 ;D
Thanks for your answers. I will try all options and post here the results.
But... I am not a very power user. Just a «poor» user.
 ::)
I just want to drag a DTS folder (@Dotpitch yes maybe they are very different! I really do not know) into XMPlay and listen to it. I do not deal with settings very much.
I even do not use an equalizer. I ear the sound through a very cheap 2+1 computer sound system.
 :D

Vkthor

You can use xmp-ffmpeg addon. It will work just fine ;)
No, sorry about that but it did not work at all
:-(
It was hard to find xmp-ffmpeg addon
Thanks to Dotpitch that linked it here http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=15376.msg106469#msg106469
I have downloaded the zip file from here: http://surodev.com/downloads/xmp-ffmpeg.zip
Extracted it in XMPlay folder (got xmp-ffmpeg.dll)
Restarted the system
- Windows 7 64b version
- 4GbRAM
tried to play the dts folder.
I could not. it sounds like an old cassette tape with no music recorded: Ssssssss....
 >:(
Let's see what I have here:
Options and stuff >
Plugins
DSP and "general" plugins
- just winamp DSP wrapper (rev 2) with reverb (built in) and equalizer (built in)
Expanding the + sign > input
Input and archive plugins
- Advanced audio coding (rev7b) for aac m4a m4b mp4
- VD audio (rev11) for cda
- FFMPEG supported files for 3gp aac amr avi flac flv m2p m2ts m4a mka mks mkv mov mp3 mp4 mpeg mpg ogg ps mvbd ts vob wav wma wmv (audio stream index = 0 default)
- flac (rev8) for flac oga ogg
- monkey's audio (rev2) for ape
- windows media audio (rev13) for wma
I am using XMPlay 3.7 I have just updated it to 3.8.0.2 and have got the same issue
 :'(
I do not know if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I am.
 ???
« Last Edit: 2 Jan '14 - 20:27 by Vkthor »

Ionut Cristea

Indeed the file can't be played from xmplay. Is not a xmp-ffmpeg plugin related problem. In fact xmplay build in decoder identify the file as a WAV (the header is present in the uploaded file), and send encoded data to speakers(that data is not decoded, is just simply encoded data).
  So the problem is on the WAV reader from the xmplay. I recommand Ian look into this.

Ionut

piovrauz

Nah, there's a solution (workaround): in the filetype priority of xmp-ffmpeg write dts, so it gets precedence over the wav decoder.
EDIT: go options and stuff, input, select FFMPEG plugin, in the "priority filetypes" box write dts. That's it.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan '14 - 20:36 by piovrauz »

Ionut Cristea

Yep...you are correct. Works like a charm like that. Anyway... the problem still is in the WAV reader, so i recommand Ian look into it.

Ionut

piovrauz

yes, using the filetypes priority is a workaround, Ian will probably find what's going on later, but like this Vkthor can now play music! XD

Vkthor

YES! Yes, yes....
 ;D
Thanks a lot.
I do not need VLC player any more to listen this album.
It worked fine... well, almost fine.
LOL
In a minute I did not have anything now I want everything.
 8)
If the folder has the jpeg covers XMPlay stops on it with a red line over the file name
1345746736_1289075725_eagles-hell-freezes-over.jpg
If I try to advance to next one it hangs and the Windows closes it looking for a solution...
 :)
This does not happen with mp3 folders

Now, another «nice» thing. all tracks are shown like a wav file as you told, but one, just one, shows dts. I tried to understand if there was a rule, but no, is always the same file.
Do you want to check it?
here: https://mega.co.nz/#!TANGBbLQ!fWpXPVlQbpI5sJFLeqpGly0RKthVUK3qEIGQzz6G_iU

piovrauz

Here:
Options and stuff, Playlist, Ignore Filetypes: write there the extensions you want to be ignored (.jpg, .png, .bmp, ...)
The file won't be loaded as a media file/track, but it'll be picked up by the coverart plugin (in case you're using it).