Author Topic: Separate track option for MOD formats ?  (Read 3950 times)

Alandor

Separate track option for MOD formats ?
« on: 29 Dec '13 - 16:05 »
Hi. I would like to know if is there any way to do this (maybe through a plugin) or is it possible to ask for an option like this for some future version ? I think it would be really useful to add a second option to the "separate MOD instruments" that would allow to also separate each track to a different file. This way you could render mods to different files for each track, for each instrument or for both of them.

Thanks very much. :)

Lemu

Re: Separate track option for MOD formats ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec '13 - 16:15 »
Hi. I would like to know if is there any way to do this (maybe through a plugin) or is it possible to ask for an option like this for some future version ? I think it would be really useful to add a second option to the "separate MOD instruments" that would allow to also separate each track to a different file. This way you could render mods to different files for each track, for each instrument or for both of them.

Thanks very much. :)
I think you need a tracker, not a player. Trackers are much better suited for such tasks. Bloatware is almost never a good thing IMHO.

saga

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec '13 - 17:03 »
Well, since XMPlay can already split by instruments, it surely wouldn't be much more work to also be able to split by channels, so I think it's a reasonable request.

Lemu

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec '13 - 18:42 »
Well, since XMPlay can already split by instruments, it surely wouldn't be much more work to also be able to split by channels, so I think it's a reasonable request.

Believe me, I've seen it happen many times before. It's always, those "tiny, little, small, bits" added here and there and in 10 years you have bloatware out of a formerly lean and mean piece of software. Next time somebody requests an instrument name editor, no -- actual instrument data editor, no wait, it's only a small step to a -- full-blown module and pattern editor! Wow! :D  I've seen that happen too many times to be able to remember...

The same goes for video replay. Why do it if VLC does it the best and does it all?

piovrauz

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec '13 - 18:50 »
eh, I can relate to that...
but I think Ian can discern what makes XMPlay bloatware and what not, after all even I asked for some functions... and they are here :)
still a tracker would be simpler, there's no need to reinvent the weel, right?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec '13 - 18:03 »
It isn't very convenient but it is possible to write separate files for each MOD channel by muting the channels via the MOD pattern vis (see XMPLAY.TXT for shortcut keys), ie. first have only channel 1 unmuted and write that, then have only channel 2 unmuted and write that, and so on until you've written all channels.

Lunar07

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec '13 - 19:52 »
It isn't very convenient but it is possible to write separate files for each MOD channel by muting the channels via the MOD pattern vis (see XMPLAY.TXT for shortcut keys), ie. first have only channel 1 unmuted and write that, then have only channel 2 unmuted and write that, and so on until you've written all channels.

Ian -
I have suggested in a different thread the ability to also write MID and RMI into different instruments WAV files exactly like the case with MOD's.
I agree with you: muting works fine.
I hope you'll consider the same with MID and RMI. It would be fantastic.

saga

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec '13 - 20:49 »
That's not really something that can be done with the current plugin API.

Lunar07

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec '13 - 22:10 »
That's not really something that can be done with the current plugin API.

What is that can not be done via current plugin API?

saga

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec '13 - 14:04 »
The API doesn't have a concept of channels or whatsoever. XMPlay cannot tell the MIDI plugin that it should only render channel 1 or whatever. This only works for MOD playback because it's tightly integrated with the main player (not a plugin).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec '13 - 16:10 »
The channel muting method can also be used to write separate MIDI channels (via the "MIDI mixer" window), but writing separate MIDI instruments isn't currently possible.

Lunar07

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec '13 - 16:36 »
Saga: I see what you mean.  I already knew that but wanted to be sure.

The channel muting method can also be used to write separate MIDI channels (via the "MIDI mixer" window), but writing separate MIDI instruments isn't currently possible.

It is that muting again :)))  You are right and I can live with that.

Alandor

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec '13 - 16:56 »
  First, thanks very much to all of you for your answers. They all are really appreciate. :)

Lemu. Yeah, I know I can do that manually editing each module with a tracker. But truth it is really tedious to do it in just one module, imagine if you want to do it in more than one. Besides, taking into account XMPlay is a MOD player which actually already is capable of writing each module instrument separately I don't think having that option would be bloatware at all but a really interesting feature. But that is just my personal opinion.

Ian, thanks very much for your answer, I really didn't expect a response from a developer himself. Truth is I didn't thought of your idea of muting channels. It will make the work pretty much easier actually. So thanks again for the tip.

Just one more question. Could be automated the channel muting some way (maybe from a plugin ?) so it could be done automatically for a entire playlist, instead of one module at a time ? Even with the mute channels tip it can get really slow and tedious if you want to do it in a large list of modules.

Thanks very much again.

Greetings. :)

saga

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec '13 - 17:03 »
Lemu. Yeah, I know I can do that manually editing each module with a tracker. But truth it is really tedious to do it in just one module, imagine if you want to do it in more than one.
You don't have to do it manually, OpenMPT has options for both exporting modules per-channel and per-instrument (they are mutually exclusive, though).

piovrauz

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec '13 - 17:05 »
hahaha, saga beat me to it. I wanted to suggest that too, but obv saga was faster XD

Lunar07

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec '13 - 17:24 »
  Just one more question. Could be automated the channel muting some way (maybe from a plugin ?) so it could be done automatically for a entire playlist, instead of one module at a time ? Even with the mute channels tip it can get really slow and tedious if you want to do it in a large list of modules.

You are missing the point of xmplay.  There are other tools to do that.  xmplay is not an batch processor and just be glad we have what we have. For batch proccessing consider other tools.
All this file writing in xmplay I personally consider to be nice extras.  Per file that is open.

saga

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec '13 - 17:51 »
Actually, I wouldn't say that it's missing the point, XMPlay has the ability to use MP3 and OGG encoders after all. Batch converting/encoding is a well-accepted functionality of XMPlay. However, splitting modules into channels or instruments is indeed a functionality that people would normally use to process modules (e.g. for final mastering), so is probably not something you'd normally want to do unless you're a musician, and you'd probably not want to do it in an audio player, either.

Lunar07

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec '13 - 18:15 »
Encoding and decoding was not the subject matter here.
When I mentioned batch processing I was replying to his question directly.
He wants batch processing of modules that acts on the playlist.
Which makes xmplay more akin to a mod editor.

Actually, I wouldn't say that it's missing the point, XMPlay has the ability to use MP3 and OGG encoders after all. Batch converting/encoding is a well-accepted functionality of XMPlay. However, splitting modules into channels or instruments is indeed a functionality that people would normally use to process modules (e.g. for final mastering), so is probably not something you'd normally want to do unless you're a musician, and you'd probably not want to do it in an audio player, either.

Alandor

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan '14 - 14:23 »
  Sorry for the late reply.

saga, piovrauz, thanks very much for the info, I didn't know about it. I will try it. :)

Lunar07, sorry but I completely disagree. In fact, using your own exact line of thinking we could say (both now and in the past) than other use of xmplay different from listening to module files could be considered too as "missing the point of xmplay" (as in its core is actually a module player) and playing MP3 or OGG, etc would be also nothing more than just "nice extras". In fact we could go so far with this as to say that playing any other thing than a XM file would be "missing the point" (and therefor xmplay wouldn't be at all what it is today). Truth is I think saga replied to you way better than I could do it myself as he is completely right from my personal point of view. In fact, sorry but I actually have to say that you didn't reply to my question directly at all. As I was asking if it could be automated some way (for instance with a plugin). And don't get me wrong, I am just stating my personal opinion and point of view. Not trying to create any kind of debate or confront here. I just don't agree with that line of thinking.

With all that said. Thanks very much to all of you for your replies and help. :)

Lunar07

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan '14 - 17:29 »
  Sorry for the late reply.

As I was asking if it could be automated some way (for instance with a plugin). And don't get me wrong, I am just stating my personal opinion and point of view. Not trying to create any kind of debate or confront here. I just don't agree with that line of thinking.

With all that said. Thanks very much to all of you for your replies and help. :)

The issue here is that xmplay will not allow for plugins to have their own output.
Yes xmplay is a player. You can add plugins to play different formats.  This remains within its vision.
From this perspective, writing MOD's to different instrument waves is a nice addition.
As this is integrated into xmplay itself.
What you are asking for is for a recoding that allows plugins to have their own output.
Which means that your request is outside the scope of what xmplay is capable of doing.

Yes, it is a matter of perspective.