Author Topic: NuGet package for BASS.NET  (Read 1534 times)

aybe

NuGet package for BASS.NET
« on: 19 Jan '14 - 18:50 »
Why isn't there a NuGet package for BASS.net ?

I think the library really deserves one !

Thank you  :D

mserougi

Re: NuGet package for BASS.NET
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun '15 - 17:23 »
Yes, this library needs a nuget. The current setup is more meaningful for Windows and Visual Studio, but if you're on a Mac and using Xamarin Studio, there are no simple guides on getting the library integrated in your project.

radio42

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun '15 - 12:17 »
NuGet is the package manager for the Microsoft development platform including .NET. So that is mostly Windows and Visual Studio.

However, I guess you do not want a pure BASS.NET NuGet package (as that would simply be one file - the Bass.Net.dll) ?!
I assume, that you might want a package including all the native BASS libs and add-ons as well?

If that's the case, the question is, who should maintain it, as then, we are not only talking about one NuGet package, but probably 10 or 12 different (x86 and x64; Windows, Linux, iOS, OSX, WinCE, Android, ARM etc.)?!

Also note, that NuGet packages might not leverage any VS help integration (as the installer is doing).

mserougi

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun '15 - 16:03 »
Yes, I understand what Nuget is, but my point is that a "setup.exe" which currently installs Bass is something that is Windows only, so you can't really leverage the installer on a Mac. With a Nuget, you can, since IDEs that do work with C# do support Nuget.

The benefit of a Nuget package is that it'll detect what project you want Bass included in, and install the proper libraries. So it'll be a single Nuget package to maintain, which targets the multiple .Net frameworks, Mono included.

The reason this is important is because Bass is a paid library for companies, but we don't have a simple guide on making it work for an IDE other than Visual Studio on Windows, that being the setup file it comes with. The IDE in question is Xamarin Studio by the way. So while a Nuget would be great to have, a guide for the different IDEs (at this point it's really only Xamarin Studio) out there would be great too.

radio42

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun '15 - 19:59 »
Yes, I totally agree with what you say.
But see my comments above...it also needs to involve (all) native BASS libs as well.
And even if it is only a single NuGet package, you know what I mean with the variety of different targets which needs to be tested/maintained...guess that isn't a pure Bass.Net task!

Also note, that there is a plain zip install of the LIBs only for BASS.NET:
Lib only:
 www.un4seen.com/filez/4/Bass24.Net_update.zip

mserougi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun '15 - 21:40 »
Alright, then how about an up-to-date how-to guide at least?

I'd be happy to start that and attach a sample project to it that shows how to add Bass to a project if it gets too complicated.

I'm coming from the perspective of someone who got the above zip file, started a fresh solution for a cross-platform .Forms App in Xamarin Studio, copied the extracted folder to the project, added a native reference to the iOS dll, hit build. Basically I followed the instructions in the readme.txt file on adding the reference, but I'm getting a linker error:

Error MT5309: Native linking error: library not found for -lBass.Net.iOS (MT5309)
Error MT5201: Native linking failed. Please review the build log and the user flags provided to gcc: -L../libs/Bass24.Net/iOS -lBass.Net.iOS -force_load ../libs/Bass24.Net/iOS/Bass.Net.iOS.dll (MT5201)

Thoughts on what could be wrong?

mserougi

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun '15 - 20:52 »
Alright, so I was adding the library incorrectly.

You simply "Edit References" under each platform in your project, then you switch to the ".Net Assembly" tab, and you browse to where the platform-specific dll of Bass is located. After that you should be able to see the namespace "Un4seen" and use it accordingly. Simple steps really, but I still think a Nuget would be a nice to have at some point, perhaps I'll look into it if the library does fulfill my project needs.