Author Topic: Equalizer Settings  (Read 1421 times)

Zzyzx

Equalizer Settings
« on: 14 Jun '14 - 19:30 »

This is in reference to the built-in equalizer DSP that is accessed via the UI in the various skins.

Is there any documentation for where and how the equalizer settings are stored?  I'm guessing they are in xmplay.ini somewhere, probably encoded into one of the strings like the DSP= entry.

I suppose I could start changing the EQ settings and seeing what changes in the file, but I was hoping to avoid that.  I wanted to try and have a way to edit the settings directly without having to use the sliders in the UI (each skin seems to apply different increments like 0.3 or 0.2 when editing, and I just want to edit them to exactly what I want).

Also, I assume if I edited xmplay.ini directly, I would need to restart XMPlay for those to take effect?  And if I used the UI to change a setting, it would overwrite any direct changes I had made while XMPlay was open?

Couple of other questions:  What is the Q value used for the bands on the EQ?  Is it the same for all bands?  Are the 63 Hz and 16 kHz bands shelf EQs?  Is there any way to change any of that?

Thanks for any pointers.

Dotpitch

Re: Equalizer Settings
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun '14 - 20:19 »
Is there any documentation for where and how the equalizer settings are stored?  I'm guessing they are in xmplay.ini somewhere, probably encoded into one of the strings like the DSP= entry.
Yes, it's in the DSP-entry. There is no documentation, but I guess Ian can provide a hint ;).
each skin seems to apply different increments like 0.3 or 0.2 when editing, and I just want to edit them to exactly what I want.
The configuration on the DSP page of Options and stuff does not depend on the skin. You can also use the arrow keys for fine-tuning.
Also, I assume if I edited xmplay.ini directly, I would need to restart XMPlay for those to take effect?  And if I used the UI to change a setting, it would overwrite any direct changes I had made while XMPlay was open?
Yes, XMPlay will only load settings from the ini-file at startup and will overwrite the settings on close (and when auto-saving).
Is there any way to change any of that?
Nope, currently that's not possible. You can load a different equalizer through the Winamp DSP wrapper though, I you prefer a different one.

Zzyzx

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun '14 - 20:49 »
Thanks, Dotpitch!

each skin seems to apply different increments like 0.3 or 0.2 when editing, and I just want to edit them to exactly what I want.
The configuration on the DSP page of Options and stuff does not depend on the skin. You can also use the arrow keys for fine-tuning.

Yeah, the only challenge is that the DSP options page, while allowing the sliders to be fine-controlled with the arrow keys, is that it doesn't seem to show the current value for each slider, even in a fly-over (unless I'm missing something?).  So, I'm kinda flying blind in changing the settings, although if I know the current value from the skin and tab into the slider, I suppose hitting the up/down arrow would give me +/-0.1 dB, right?

Is there any way to change any of that?
Nope, currently that's not possible. You can load a different equalizer through the Winamp DSP wrapper though, I you prefer a different one.

I've been hunting around, but I haven't yet found a good parametric EQ anywhere (up to 8-12 bands, able to set center frequency, Q and adjustment, preferably ability to set lower and upper shelf EQs, etc.).  Any suggestions -- maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

Thanks.

Dotpitch

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun '14 - 22:19 »
Yeah, the only challenge is that the DSP options page, while allowing the sliders to be fine-controlled with the arrow keys, is that it doesn't seem to show the current value for each slider, even in a fly-over (unless I'm missing something?).  ... I suppose hitting the up/down arrow would give me +/-0.1 dB, right?
Hold down the left-mouse button on the knob. Increments are 0.5 dB.

I've been hunting around, but I haven't yet found a good parametric EQ anywhere (up to 8-12 bands, able to set center frequency, Q and adjustment, preferably ability to set lower and upper shelf EQs, etc.).  Any suggestions -- maybe I'm not looking in the right places?
The Support Site has an old version of nevi's equalizer (or try the latest version). Alternatively, you can use the Winamp DSP wrapper to load a Winamp VST host (like this one) and get a VST-equalizer (for example from here).