Author Topic: Where can I find skinning material?  (Read 1878 times)

pilau

Where can I find skinning material?
« on: 17 Oct '14 - 03:33 »
The 2 skinning pages on the main website are very limited and lacking. They were last updated on 2006 (almost 9 years ago).

Is there any updated tutorial/material on skinning XMPlay somewhere?

My ultimate goal is this: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Godspeed-427451473

Thanks.

xaos

Re: Where can I find skinning material?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct '14 - 08:19 »
See if this thread is helps .. http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=15243.0

pilau

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct '14 - 09:26 »
Thanks, but not really. It like, starts the construction from the 4th floor skipping the first 3. And ground level too ;P

How about: how to extract/compile xmpskin files? (I tried renaming them to .zip, .rar, 7z - to no avail).

How about: how do I set up the layout of my skin (dimensions, positions, hide/show elements)?

That would be fantastic

saga

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct '14 - 13:58 »
Older xmpskin files are DLLs, which you cannot simply "extract" - however a tool like ResHacker can help extracting the resources like bitmaps from them. New skins for XMPlay 3.8 can also be simple zip files.

piovrauz

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct '14 - 15:26 »
Also, some skin already have sources available.
And one could ask to the autor of the skin too.

pilau

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct '14 - 11:22 »
So... it's basically extract some skin and learn how it works?

xaos

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct '14 - 13:03 »
Most of how it works is described in the thread that was linked earlier. .. from any skin source, open the "panel_main" and "mask_main" images side by side, open XMPlay beside that , then read specifically ONLY my posts .. might be a little less confusing.

.. the source for "Alloy" might be a decently understandable example..

-any xmpskin that won't unzip after changing the extension is an original true "compiled" skinfile .. the newer/newest are just zip files with their extension changed.
-the earlier linked thread contains a description of my method for laying out/creating my skins. if you're familiar with image editing of any sort, it should make reasonable sense.

(not meaning to be difficult .. but there are now a number of threads that have various repetitions and similar descriptions, and unfortunately my attempt to write a more in depth tutorial has stalled due to sheer number of things that could be included and lack of motivation)
« Last Edit: 19 Oct '14 - 13:24 by xaos »

pilau

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct '14 - 13:19 »
Thanks for pointing me on where to start.  8)

unfortunately my attempt to write a more in depth tutorial has stalled due to sheer number of things that could be included)

A good idea might be for you to at least post up a list of skinning topics, and if you can manage to find the time, write up a tutorial or two as well but let the community fill up the rest. If there would be a clear scope or table of contents and guidelines, I'm sure more people who have skinning experience would be up for the job of contributing to this with relevant tutorials/info
« Last Edit: 19 Oct '14 - 13:31 by pilau »

xaos

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct '14 - 13:34 »
Someone tried starting a "Skinning Thread" like that earlier, it got ignored. Someone started another thread, then another thread that got pointed back to the other thread, that fell by the wayside, then another thread got started, round and round.

Unfortunately the concept behind how the skins work is simple once you figure it out, but I personally haven't found a simple way to explain it in pure text. Also, too many people suggesting too many things without complete understanding of it, tend to confuse things more.

I'll see if I can find the motivation sometime soon to at least finish some of the (tutorial) stuff I was attempting.

..also, i was editing my previous post when you posted yours..

pilau

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct '14 - 13:41 »
Yeah, I read your edit.

I look further into this later when I have some time. Cheers

piovrauz

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct '14 - 15:51 »
This reminds me of F&B, that seemed interested to be active in skinning, but disappeared.
I was in contact with the guy for a bit, but never heard from him again...

Astral Soup Design

« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov '14 - 12:06 »
This reminds me of F&B, that seemed interested to be active in skinning, but disappeared.
I was in contact with the guy for a bit, but never heard from him again...

Disappeared? Nope. I was just with Walter White...

...cooking for my clones...

...trying to find a hat which fits me...

...playing with the 110V/220V...

...trying to be an illustrator rather than a skinner...

...going to the bowling...

...ztaying in a wonderful zity with wonderful people...

...and skinning for my 1024x768.

(well... I peeked every month into the forums to know how is everybody. I really miss piovrauz, Y@nek, Chinese Saussage, Mr. Ian and my land brother Cypress).

----------------

I have a lot of things to tell if you look at me. FacebookID: deviantero
Long Live the Children!
« Last Edit: 13 Nov '14 - 03:59 by Bahamondes & Furan »

rst

« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov '14 - 14:56 »
i am also agree with the main xmplay skin. It should change to a modern one.