Author Topic: Slow/fast playback  (Read 14793 times)

garson

Slow/fast playback
« on: 2 Jan '10 - 12:47 »
I have playback problems with 88.2khz/24bit FLAC files. I have ASUS Xonar DS soundcard (192/24), output settings are shown below.

When I play those files playback is fast.  ??? This is what Info window shows.

When I check Apply sample rate to all file format, playback is ok. I tried unticking Apply sample rate in the middle of playback, and then playback is slower then normal. ::)

Anybody have idea what could be the problem?

EDIT:
I tried with ASIO4All output, playback is ok, but info window shows 44.1/32 bit. Unticking Set hardware sample rate when possible resolves the problem with Xonar DS ASIO Output but Info window shows 44.1/24bit.  ???

Y@nekŪ

Re: Slow/fast playback
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan '10 - 17:40 »

Dotpitch

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan '10 - 18:28 »
I have playback problems with 88.2khz/24bit FLAC files. I have ASUS Xonar DS soundcard (192/24), output settings are shown below. When I play those files playback is fast. ... Anybody have idea what could be the problem?
Fast? How much faster than normal? Twice as fast? 9% too fast? If the latter, I think it's sample rate problem. Does it work properly if you use WaveOut?
Unticking Set hardware sample rate when possible resolves the problem with Xonar DS ASIO Output but Info window shows 44.1/24bit.
Apparently the device defaults to 44.1 kHz if XMPlay does not force it higher sample rates.

garson

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan '10 - 23:28 »
I have playback problems with 88.2khz/24bit FLAC files. I have ASUS Xonar DS soundcard (192/24), output settings are shown below. When I play those files playback is fast. ... Anybody have idea what could be the problem?
Fast? How much faster than normal? Twice as fast? 9% too fast? If the latter, I think it's sample rate problem. Does it work properly if you use WaveOut?
Twice as fast, or twice as slow.  :-\
WaveOut? You mean, ASUS Xonar DS as output device? Yes, it works properly, Info window shows 88.2kHz 24 bit as it should. :)

garson

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb '10 - 00:01 »
I tried with regular Output device (ASUS Xonar DS Audio) and everything is ok.

Here are Option and Stuff window.

And here is Info General window.

Seems ok, file is 88.2kHz/24 bit.

But when I switch ASIO Output, I get faster/slower playback or normal playback (unchecked Set hardware sample rate) but in Info General window I get 44.1kHz/96kHz. No chance I get 88.2kHz as with regular Output device. ???

Any new ideas?

Dotpitch

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb '10 - 15:22 »
But when I switch ASIO Output, I get faster/slower playback or normal playback (unchecked Set hardware sample rate) but in Info General window I get 44.1kHz/96kHz. No chance I get 88.2kHz as with regular Output device.
Quote from: ASUS Xonar DS Manual, Specifications summary
Analog playback: 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit for all channels
ASIO 2.0 Driver support: 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit
Your card does not support 88.2 kHz, so XMPlay uses a different sample rate in the ASIO case. The change in playback speed is weird, though. At 96 kHz, either XMPlay is outputting at 48 kHz, or the soundcard thinks it's getting 192 kHz. What happens if you set the resolution to 16-bit?

garson

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb '10 - 19:53 »
Your card does not support 88.2 kHz, so XMPlay uses a different sample rate in the ASIO case. The change in playback speed is weird, though. At 96 kHz, either XMPlay is outputting at 48 kHz, or the soundcard thinks it's getting 192 kHz. What happens if you set the resolution to 16-bit?
Yeah, I'm aware that my card does not support 88.2 kHz, but still, how is it ok when I don't use ASIO output?  ???
And what does Output in Info General window means? I guess it's XMplay's output, and my card is resampling whatever it gets, according to Sample rate set in Xonar DS Audio centar.
Nothing changes when I set resolution to 16 bit (in XMplay or ASIO Panel).
Anyway, thanks for help. :)

Dotpitch

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb '10 - 20:06 »
Yeah, I'm aware that my card does not support 88.2 kHz, but still, how is it ok when I don't use ASIO output?
WaveOut passes the sound data to the Windows kernel, which then performs software mixing and resampling before sending it to the soundcard. ASIO communicates with the soundcard directly, so XMPlay has to do the resampling itself.
And what does Output in Info General window means? I guess it's XMplay's output, and my card is resampling whatever it gets, according to Sample rate set in Xonar DS Audio centar.
The first line is the format XMPlay is outputting in. If XMPlay is resampling, you see a second line with the original format of the file. Ehm, Xonar Audio center? What kind of stuff can you configure there, and does it override XMPlays settings?

garson

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb '10 - 21:26 »
WaveOut passes the sound data to the Windows kernel, which then performs software mixing and resampling before sending it to the soundcard. ASIO communicates with the soundcard directly, so XMPlay has to do the resampling itself.
Yeah, I know that also. But, shouldn't that be done this way:
XMPlay Output->WaveOut->Windows kernel->Soundcard
Or with ASIO
XMPlay Output->ASIO->Soundcard
XMPlay Output is, I think, that written in Info general, last line.
My question is why XMPlay resamples when set to ASIO (see image below)?
The first line is the format XMPlay is outputting in. If XMPlay is resampling, you see a second line with the original format of the file. Ehm, Xonar Audio center? What kind of stuff can you configure there, and does it override XMPlays settings?
Screen with ASIO, same in case of checked or unchecked Set hardware sample rate in XMplay ASIO options.

But with unchecked Set hardware sample rate playback is normal, but still resampled.
So now I have normal playback but XMPlay is resampling. ???
Xonar Audio center is ASUS Xonars Control panel.

Dotpitch

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb '10 - 09:14 »
If XMPlay changes the sample rate of the output, does the sample rate in the Xonar configuration change as well?

garson

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb '10 - 23:34 »
If XMPlay changes the sample rate of the output, does the sample rate in the Xonar configuration change as well?
No, it is locked, so Xonar resamples if sample rate is different than the one set in its configuration.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '10 - 22:19 by garson »

Dotpitch

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb '10 - 10:20 »
No, it is locked, so Xonar resamples if sample rate is dofferent than the one set in its configuration.
So, if XMPlay tries to output at 96 kHz, the Xonar software forces the card back to 44.1 kHz? That at least explains the slow playback.

Do you use the Xonar software for something specific? If not, you can try shutting it down (completely, not running in the system tray) and see what XMPlay can do (with 'Set hardware sample rate' ticked). Or just leave it like this and let XMPlay figure out itself when to resample your music :).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Feb '10 - 17:12 »
XMPlay Output is, I think, that written in Info general, last line.
My question is why XMPlay resamples when set to ASIO (see image below)?

When a sample format is shown in brackets, it indicates that XMPlay is resampling and that format is the file's format; the line above is XMPlay's output. So, in your example screenshot, it is resampling an 88200 Hz file to 44100 Hz.

Testing with an Asus Xonar soundcard... when the ASIO plugin tells the ASIO driver to set the sample rate to 88200 Hz, the driver says that it failed and that it is still using the old rate, but it apparently does actually output at 88200 Hz. That looks like a driver bug.

The ASIO plugin can't really assume that the new rate will be used even when the driver says it isn't, but here's an update to try, which should result in 96000 Hz output (so that it is at least upsampling) in this case...

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmp-asio.dll

Let me know if you still have playback speed problem with it.

garson

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb '10 - 22:35 »
So, if XMPlay tries to output at 96 kHz, the Xonar software forces the card back to 44.1 kHz? That at least explains the slow playback.
Xonar is resampling internally, I don't think that XMplay is "aware" od that resampling. I can play 44.1kHz, with 96kHz set in Xonar Panel, it is played at normal speed, XMplay shows just one line (44.1kHz) in Info, but still, Xonar internally resamples to 96kHz or whatever is set in Panel.

Do you use the Xonar software for something specific? If not, you can try shutting it down (completely, not running in the system tray) and see what XMPlay can do (with 'Set hardware sample rate' ticked). Or just leave it like this and let XMPlay figure out itself when to resample your music :).
It is just Panel for settings, not real software. So whether Panel is running or not, Xonar is using that settings.

When a sample format is shown in brackets, it indicates that XMPlay is resampling and that format is the file's format; the line above is XMPlay's output. So, in your example screenshot, it is resampling an 88200 Hz file to 44100 Hz.

Testing with an Asus Xonar soundcard... when the ASIO plugin tells the ASIO driver to set the sample rate to 88200 Hz, the driver says that it failed and that it is still using the old rate, but it apparently does actually output at 88200 Hz. That looks like a driver bug.

The ASIO plugin can't really assume that the new rate will be used even when the driver says it isn't, but here's an update to try, which should result in 96000 Hz output (so that it is at least upsampling) in this case...

Let me know if you still have playback speed problem with it.
Thanks, Ian, now playback is ok. :) Output shows 96kHz as you've said. :)

Fantastic XMplay support. 8)
« Last Edit: 18 Feb '10 - 22:50 by garson »

garson

« Reply #14 on: 30 Dec '11 - 00:34 »
Hi Ian.
I've changed sound card, now I have card that has 88.2 kHz.
But still, XMplay upsamples to 96 kHz.

Can this be changed/fixed?
« Last Edit: 30 Dec '11 - 00:36 by garson »

Pike84

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec '11 - 13:44 »
I'm not keen on all this resampling stuff, but it seems like you can type in the desired sample rate in "Options & stuff"'s output section (you don't have to use one from the dropdown list). Does this help?

garson

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec '11 - 15:12 »
I'm not keen on all this resampling stuff, but it seems like you can type in the desired sample rate in "Options & stuff"'s output section (you don't have to use one from the dropdown list). Does this help?
I'll try that. But those settings shouldn't have any effect if using ASIO output.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec '11 - 16:48 »
The "Output" options page settings do apply to ASIO too, but the chosen sample rate will only apply if the "Apply sample rate to all file formats" option is enabled, otherwise the file's original sample rate will be used (if it has one).

It looks like 88200 Hz should already be supported by the ASIO plugin, so I'm not sure if this will help in your case, but here's a little tweak to try...

If 88200 Hz is apparently still not available, does setting the sample rate to 88200 in the "Output" options page and enabling "Apply sample rate to all file formats" make any difference?

garson

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec '11 - 17:46 »
The "Output" options page settings do apply to ASIO too, but the chosen sample rate will only apply if the "Apply sample rate to all file formats" option is enabled, otherwise the file's original sample rate will be used (if it has one).

It looks like 88200 Hz should already be supported by the ASIO plugin, so I'm not sure if this will help in your case, but here's a little tweak to try...

If 88200 Hz is apparently still not available, does setting the sample rate to 88200 in the "Output" options page and enabling "Apply sample rate to all file formats" make any difference?
Hi Ian.
This tweak didn't help (I've notices it is same rev. 6b as previous  ??? ).
In "Output" options page there isn't 88200, just 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000 and 96000.  ???
In Output/ASIO options page, when I untick Set hardware sample rate when possible I can get 88200 but it's "stuck", all files are played in 88200.
When I change Output to normal (not ASIO) everything is ok.

garson

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec '11 - 19:55 »
New situation. :)
I'm on Windows XP, using latest Win XP driver for Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi, and it is as I described in post above.
I've just tried latest Vista/Win7 driver and they work on XP. ??? Also, situation is ok now, XMplay is not upsampling 88200 to 96000kHz.  :)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan '12 - 15:27 »
This tweak didn't help (I've notices it is same rev. 6b as previous  ??? ).

Oops, I think I may have forgotten to put the update on the server. It's there now.

In "Output" options page there isn't 88200, just 11025, 22050, 44100, 48000 and 96000.  ???

The "Sample rate" box allows editing, so you can enter 88200 in there.

Anyway, it sounds like a driver update has sorted the problem? :)

garson

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jan '12 - 17:51 »

The "Sample rate" box allows editing, so you can enter 88200 in there.

Anyway, it sounds like a driver update has sorted the problem? :)
It loooks like.
I tried older driver and new ASIO plugin (rev 6c) and it still upsamples.

artnold

Re: Asio4all playback
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct '14 - 19:54 »
http://

Asio4All ...really makes a difference ..2038 samples @96.000 hz  with 3-5% CPU....need to watch which driver it wraps ? It seems to produce the highest fidelity.