Author Topic: XMPlay associated files icon missing  (Read 1235 times)

Rubén C.L.

XMPlay associated files icon missing
« on: 4 Jan '16 - 23:57 »
Hi all,

A few months ago I had to perform a clean reinstall of my 64 bit PC with Windows Seven, and found out that now, when associating files within XMPlay (Options and stuff -> Integration), they are not shown with the icon selected, no matter if it is the default XMPlay icon or another one chosen from other resources (like Windows icon files): a generic icon is always shown.
What could be wrong?
Thanks in advance,

Rubén C. L.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: XMPlay associated files icon missing
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan '16 - 15:35 »
That's strange. Is the XMPlay icon shown in the "Integration" options page, next to the "icon:" label? If you double-click on the files in Windows Explorer, do they still get opened with XMPlay? To perhaps get some clues on the problem, please run REGEDIT and export and post the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay" branch. Also confirm the full path of your XMPLAY.EXE file.

rcasl

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan '16 - 22:11 »
Hi Ian,

First of all, thank you for answering!
Here you are the .reg file with the  "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay" branch.
The path in it is correct (C:\Audio\XMPlay\xmplay.exe).
As you say, it's strange, cause XMPlay was placed in the very same place as in the previos W'7 installation. Files, when selected in "Options and stuff" are correctly opened and played...
Well, now I must leave, cause this night in Spain is when the three Wise Men that visited Baby Jesus bring the presents to the children (and not so children) and we're struggling with our children (2 and 7 years old) to make them go to bed... so the Magii (that's, me) puts the presents all around the house...
Cheers,

Rubén

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay]
@="Arquivo MIDI"
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,01,00
"AlwaysShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\DefaultIcon]
@="imageres.dll,17"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell\Open]
@="&Abrir con XMPlay"
"MuiVerb"="&Abrir con XMPlay"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Audio\\XMPlay\\xmplay.exe\""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell\Open\ddeexec]
@="[open(%1)]"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell\Open\ddeexec\application]
@="XMPlay"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\shell\Open\droptarget]
"clsid"="{87727083-2264-4d5c-AB39-2223CFB6851F}"

« Last Edit: 5 Jan '16 - 22:21 by rcasl »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jan '16 - 13:40 »
What happens if you delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\XMPlay\DefaultIcon" branch in REGEDIT and then reload XMPlay? If you still don't see the XMPlay icon in Windows Explorer after that, do you at least see it next to the "icon:" label in XMPlay's "Integration" options page? And do files (with associated extensions) get opened with XMPlay when double-clicking on them in Windows Explorer? If so, you could try resetting the icon cache by deleting the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local folder\IconCache.db" file and rebooting.

rcasl

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan '16 - 23:05 »
Hi Ian,

Tried all your suggestions and also unistalled some utilities that could be writing in the registry, but no difference.
Also noticed that one of those utilities was adding icons to the menus and preventing others to appear in them, so the root of the problem may be there.
I've tried a workaround: added the option NoReg=1 in XMPlay.ini and manually associate extensions to be opened with the program, and it seems to work OK.
Again, thanks a lot for your help.
Best regards,

Rubén

piovrauz

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan '16 - 14:23 »
I had some issues with this in the past too, win7 wouldn't play nice... Never found why.
I solved it like this too, used NoReg=1 and associated my hand (well, with Types actually).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan '16 - 15:00 »
That's strange. I'm not sure what could be causing that. If you can reproduce the problem now, what do the following registry branches look like?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.mp3

You can replace "mp3" with any filetype that you have associated with XMPlay.