Author Topic: Feature Request: AB compare  (Read 703 times)

QuarterNote

Feature Request: AB compare
« on: 6 Mar '16 - 15:16 »
I would really like to have the ability to AB-compare two sound files in XMPlay.  For example, select two sound files in the playlist with the mouse, select "AB compare 2 tracks" from the right-click menu, and a new window is presented with the sound files names and buttons "Play A", "Play B", "Stop" and "Pause".  The A and B keys would be alternate methods of activating the "Play A" and "Play B" buttons.  When switching between A and B, the playback position would be maintained.

I find that this type of AB-compare really helps me hear differences in (external) processing when the source is the same for the two sound files.  XMPlay is my preferred player because it supports bit-perfect playback with WASAPI exclusive-mode devices.  I used to use foobar2000, which supports an ABX-compare plugin, but I find that XMPlay sounds more clear and accurate.  foobar2000's ABX-compare includes a cross-fade feature to avoid transition glitches, but I turn this off because it interferes with my ability to hear changes between the two sound files.  Thus, the simple implementation is the best for me.  Also, foobar2000's plugin supports blind comparisons against X.  This is not an important feature to me, so I didn't want to complicate my XMPlay feature request with this aspect.

QuarterNote

Re: Feature Request: AB compare
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar '16 - 20:00 »
I forgot to include a request for a position slider in the AB compare window.  This would help me quickly access any point in the playing track.

foobar2000's ABX-compare includes controls for looping on a section.  I rarely use this feature, so I don't want to complicate my XMPlay feature request with this aspect.

QuarterNote

Re: Feature Request: AB compare
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul '16 - 22:04 »
If an AB-compare GUI is too big of an effort, I would be happy to just have the ability to navigate to the next or previous track while maintaining the same time position (instead of starting the next or previous track at time=0).  I would thus use the Page Up and Page Down keyboard shortcuts to alternate between the A and B tracks for comparison.

I suggest that this behavior be enabled whenever the "Loop track" button is enabled.  Thus, no new button or options menu would be necessary to add this cheap and cheerful AB-compare feature!