Author Topic: Forum needs a better search!  (Read 353 times)

aradeonas

Forum needs a better search!
« on: 24 Mar '16 - 00:32 »
Hi,

Its probably for Ian :
As you know forum addressing is very bad and almost in many cases browser is in http://www.un4seen.com/ page so it seems it made a bad affect on google search so it was very hard for me to find old topics.
Also forum search is very bad, it has trouble with finding multiple key field and all problems in one line :
It is the worst search experienced I have with any forum I saw and I think it needs a better system like other normal forums.

Thanks for the BASS, its the best and it needs at least a good forum.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Forum needs a better search!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar '16 - 14:54 »
There was a bug in the forum software that could limit the search results to a single page. That should be fixed now. If the search option is still not working properly for you, please give example troublesome search terms to investigate.

aradeonas

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar '16 - 15:39 »
Thanks. It seems better now but it is still hard to find anything good until you know exactly topic name and addressing problem makes hard to find it even with google.
For example I wanted to know about recording ogg file and searched "record ogg file" and result are not near ok and it cant even find my other post today http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=17116.0 .
So another one wants to know about recording into ogg file should read many unrelated topics and posts to maybe find a good result.

EDIT: You can also try this "record ogg file stdout" and result hasn't my other post.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar '16 - 15:44 by aradeonas »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar '16 - 18:02 »
I think the issue in the "record ogg file" case is that the forum's search index doesn't include 3 letter words, so it ends up actually just searching for "record file", which has a lot of results; more than the current limit, so some get left out. The search index has now been modified to include 3 letter words, so please try again and see how it goes.

Regarding the "record ogg file stdout" case, the problem is that topic subjects and bodies are searched separately and neither one includes all 4 of those words in your post.

aradeonas

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar '16 - 18:15 »
I checked and still I cant find my other topics.
Regarding the "record ogg file stdout" case, I understand the reason but whole problem for me that made me make a topic about is was two reason :
-Problem finding others topic and questions and wasting time on it.
-Sawing you in these years and these days finding for answer for my question taht you answered a lot of duplicate question very kindly but for sure it waste a lot of time and it made me search more to find my answer with a not good search system. I think one of the easiest way to solve this issue without modifying forum is preparing good search for forum or/and make url system fixed so google can index it better.
Anyway thanks for the support.