Author Topic: Am I stupid or has the Track Info pane changed?  (Read 1047 times)

MagikGimp

Where has the information about MODs gone? The samples, message, visualis(z)er etc. have disappeared, presumably (hopefully) only elsewhere and not entirely. Such a major change to a player that is ostensibly for MODs is an odd choice IMHO to say the least. I especially love the view where you can see each channel scrolling along.
I've had a quick look around the forum, support site and settings but can't seem to find anything mentioning this or how to get those tabs back. So... am I just stupid? Thanks.  :-\

saga

Re: Am I stupid or has the Track Info pane changed?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun '16 - 15:36 »
They are in the same place as always, in the info window (F2/F3/F4), but if you use a plugin to play certain mod files (e.g. xmp-delix to play exotica Amiga formats), this information and visualization may be missing (depends on the plugin). You can confirm in on the info page (F1) which plugin (if any) is used for decoding.

deus-ex

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun '16 - 20:47 »
I especially love the view where you can see each channel scrolling along.

When playing back a module tracker file (.mod, .xm, .s3m, .it, ...) press F4 to open the visualization panel. Now you can either right-click on the visualization panel and select MOD Pattern Display from the menu, or scroll the mouse-wheel up/down on the visualization panel to browse through the visualizations available for the format currently played back.

MagikGimp

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun '16 - 23:44 »
Ah so those tabs are hidden now, I see. At least the default view I'm getting is Playlist and Library but yes, when I hit the F1-4 buttons I get the tabs I'm after. Thank you both.

saga

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun '16 - 00:05 »
Ah so those tabs are hidden now, I see.
They have always been for at least the last ten years, if not more? Maybe you have just previously used a different display configuration and had one of the other tabs open, or used a different skin? At least the last time you posted on the forum (2008), I can definitely remember that the views were already like this.

MagikGimp

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun '16 - 00:14 »
Might be a skin thing. They've always been there for me but recently I've been using old (very old) themes and skins so chances are this ancient skin showed the other tabs by default? I definitely would see the 4 tabs for MODs up until I noticed they weren't there yesterday. Cheers.

Jace

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun '16 - 23:54 »
Which skin do you use? The info/vis uses the same window as extended playlist/library, so the skin might just have links to the latter. But those usually do have a button to toggle between info/playlist modes somewhere.

MagikGimp

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun '16 - 14:47 »
The Saria one (more than a decade old now) but the same thing seemed to be happening with the default one too. I added about three thousand files to the playlist at once, mostly MP3s as well as XMs, MODs, ITs etc., so perhaps it was the mix of files that caused it but even now loading a single MOD on the default skin doesn't show those four tabs.

saga

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun '16 - 15:36 »
You can only ever see one of those tabs at once. It has always been like that at least since the 3.x release (no idea about older versions). This does not depend on the skin or how many files you added to your playlist.

MagikGimp

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun '16 - 15:48 »
Sorry, I think I'm not making myself clear (as is usually the case). I can only see one tab at a time yes. What I'm trying to say is that the tabs themselves (not the content of the tab) is hidden. It's either Playlist / Library or it's General / Message / Samples / Viz. What threw me what that when the playlist is visible those four latter tabs aren't shown. I think the confusing is that with the default skin you have a playlist built in and the extra information window therefore doesn't need to show this and the Library tab. I guess as the Saria skin lacks the added playlist it was defaulting to this tab in the information pane and so I thought the four tabs had gone somewhere. Now I know I can get them back with F1-4. You'd think that all six tabs could be next to each other at once but perhaps that many takes up too much space? Or did so in the past at lower resolutions?  ???
EDIT: Actually, now I see the button to switch from the four to the two. I'm learning! (It wasn't immediately obvious to me! :P )
« Last Edit: 21 Jun '16 - 15:53 by MagikGimp »

deus-ex

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun '16 - 17:07 »
You can only ever see one of those tabs at once. It has always been like that at least since the 3.x release.

Unfortunately, it has always been like that since tabs have been added to XMPlay. Very often I wish there was an option to have multiple tabs open at once. Like one F2, one F3 and several F4 tabs, were each F4 tab displays a different visualization. Oh, and optionally all of that in fullscreen. Or at least support for high DPI environments.

Ian...? :)

no idea about older versions

Wut? Where have you been? ;D

saga

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun '16 - 19:51 »
Wut? Where have you been?
I "only" started using XMPlay in 2007. Before that, I tried it for a short while when still running Windows 98 as my main operating system, but it always crashed or something.

raina

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun '16 - 22:08 »
I "only" started using XMPlay in 2007. Before that, I tried it for a short while when still running Windows 98 as my main operating system, but it always crashed or something.
The 2.x series wasn't exactly stable for me either.