Author Topic: Difference between Wavemapper and DirectSound Output?  (Read 550 times)

Rittmeister

hi guys!
I installed the DirectSound plugin. I don't hear any difference between Wavemapper, Directsound.
For what I've read, both are messing around with the sampling rate and may slightly degrade the source audio, right?
What's the point of this? Does it maybe allow to send the signal to some exotic hardware that Wavemapper can't do?

saga

Both DirectSound and Wavemapper are emulated on Windows Vista and newer. There's no real point in using them on modern systems. It would be better to use WASAPI output on modern systems instead, and there is no big difference between the two others.

For what I've read, both are messing around with the sampling rate and may slightly degrade the source audio, right?
This is FUD by audiophiles. On modern operating systems (starting at least with Windows Vista), you do not need to expect any degraded audio from Wavemapper or DirectSound.
You just have to keep something in mind: If you want to let any other application play sound at the same time as XMPlay (and most of the time you do, e.g. to get e-mail notifications, watch a video in your browser or whatever), then all these applications have to share access to the Windows Mixer. This means that the Windows Mixer will mix the audio of all applications into a buffer and resample it all to one common sample rate (48 kHz by default). So even if you play some audio material in XMPlay at 44.1 kHz, Windows will still resample it to 48 kHz (since typical audio hardware can just output at one sample rate at a time). If you are convinced that XMPlay does a better job at resampling, you can also enforce XMPlay to resample all your audio files to 48 kHz instead, so that the Windows mixer doesn't have to do it anymore.
There are ways to entirely circumvent the Windows mixer (e.g. by using ASIO, WaveRT or WASAPI in exclusive mode), but seriously, you are most likely not going to hear a difference from that, and it has the disadvantage that no other application can emit sound at the same time (except when using good ASIO drivers provided by the audio interface's manufacturer).

Note that most audio hardware these days runs at 48 kHz internally, so do not try to set the Windows Mixer to 44.1 kHz - you will just move the resampling step one step further down the line to the audio hardware, and if you just use the on-board audio of your computer, I doubt it will give you very high quality.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul '16 - 23:50 by saga »

Rittmeister

thanks for the interesting information. I'll check my windows mixer right away :)