Author Topic: Same Reverb for many streams  (Read 1902 times)

rv

Re: Same Reverb for many streams
« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct '18 - 14:15 »
I do this, in this order :

MIDISTREAM  >  AUDIOMIXER
VSTi   > AUDIOMIXER
REVERB SPLITTER > FXMIXER > AUDIOMIXER
The BASS_VST_ChannelSetDSP is set on the FXMIXER handle

I am pretty sure it is a question of order and logical, more than really cpu problem. Adding a splitter and a mixer should not change so much in term of cpu time, but maybe something is waiting something else, and then the remaining time is very small

I did try the order you suggested and the limit flag, but this does not seems to help so much

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 4 Oct '18 - 16:44 »
If you write the mixer output to file and look at the waveform, are the "cracks and pops" caused by a gap in the mixer output, or is it in a source? If the latter, that could be caused by the source having insufficient data available at the time (rather than lack of CPU).

For comparison, what happens if you remove VSTi and make sure MIDISTREAM is plugged into AUDIOMIXER first (or use the BASS_MIXER_LIMIT flag on it)? Is there anything else plugged into FXMIXER? If so, you could also try removing that. If not, you could plug REVERB SPLITTER directly into AUDIOMIXER.

rv

« Reply #27 on: 5 Oct '18 - 00:42 »
mmm... after 2 weeks working on it...
it seems that one of the VST instruments I have recently added in the audiomixer cause the problem
When I see the CPU % of my program in the task manager, it use 5% when on plugged on power (max performance), and go up to 20% from time to time when on battery mode (win 10 new eco mode), and crackles starts
It is strange that this VST use so much more CPU while on battery, but only from time to time.
Possible to be a denormal problem?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 5 Oct '18 - 13:51 »
Denormals can cause degraded performance, but I would expect most effects' code to handle/remove them automatically. Is the problem happening when the sound goes silent for a while, eg. after a reverb effect has decayed? That is generally when denormals can occur. That wouldn't be any different between mains/battery power though. Some CPU throttling (to extend battery life) seems the most likely explanation to me.

rv

« Reply #29 on: 10 Oct '18 - 12:40 »
yes.. cpu is going from 3GHz to 1 ghz... probably the new windows 10 power mode on battery that kill the realtime audio performances...
Thank you for all that. I am now able to share 3 VST FX between the bass midi synth, some VST synth and even the microphone input.
Now I have a little problem when I stop audio and restart audio, my app crash, on the reloading of the VST
i need to check my code better. Maybe I don' t free all ressources correctly

I am using BASS_VST_ChannelRemoveDSP, BASS_StreamFree(BassMidiReverb), BASS_VST_ChannelFree,   BASS_WASAPI_Free

Not sure how to release the bassmix mixers, the wasapi input (proc by bass)