Author Topic: Bass.dll crash on Windows 10 which recording mic data  (Read 192 times)

genosha

Looong time since I last posted.

Been trying to get bass.dll to work from Nim - http://nim-lang.org. I've gotten the callback mechanism to work via RecordStart() but considering I want the FFT data, I was trying to use ChannelGetData() but after a few loops, my program crashes. The faster I poll, the faster it crashes. I've adjusted the buffer size to accommodate slower polls and am not filling it up beyond a point, but still see crashes happening.

Here's the code in question:-

while true:
    len = BASS_ChannelGetData(ch, nil, BASS_DATA_AVAILABLE)
    if len > dword(0):
        len = BASS_ChannelGetData(ch, buffer, 16384)
        discard f.writeBuffer(buffer, len)
    elif len == dword(0):
        echo "Waiting"
    else:
        break

sleep(100)

I don't get any stack trace so suspect there's something fishy in bass.dll or how I'm invoking it.

Any tips will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
I'm not familiar with Nim, but I guess you had to create a header/module to use BASS with it yourself? Make sure that's using the "stdcall" calling convention on Windows.

Have you confirmed that the crash is happening in a BASS_ChannelGetData call, and which one? If a debugger doesn't give a call stack, you could use logging instead to confirm it, ie. write log entries (or "echo" lines like you have for "Waiting") just before and after the calls.

genosha

That worked! ChannelGetData() no longer crashes if it is called using stdcall.

There was no way to tell if the crash was in my code or BASS, i would keep echoing the read length that was read on each call and after some time, it would just die.

Thanks a bunch :D