Author Topic: Overriding the default skin's pattern vis font size  (Read 2174 times)

saga

I know it is possible to partially override skin settings by placing the overriding skin configuration file next to the skin, but how would this be done with the default skin, is it possible at all?
The use case is that we use XMPlay's pattern vis at various demoparties for showing the pattern contents of modules in tracked music competitions, but with today's Full-HD projectors, the pattern vis font size tends to be a bit small. So I'm looking for an easy way of increasing the font size without having to look for alternative skins.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: Overriding the default skin's pattern vis font size
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr '17 - 16:35 »
It is possible to override the default skin's settings in an XMPLAY.SKINCONFIG file. In your case you would want to put a custom "font_modsize" setting in there, to change the MOD vis font size.

saga

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr '17 - 22:56 »
Thanks. It seems that font_modsize alone didn't work for some reason, but also setting font_mod did the trick.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr '17 - 15:26 »
Oh yes, you would indeed need to also include a "font_mod" entry (eg. "font_mod = lucida console") in your XMPLAY.SKINCONFIG file. That's because the default skin's config doesn't include a "font_mod" entry (it falls back to "font_info"), so a custom "font_modsize" entry alone won't have any effect on it.

OSH

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr '17 - 10:01 »
Ian, I have the same problem: when I try to make font for playlist bigger by using parameter font_listsize, the font on playlist is bigger, but the distance between lines is so small, the lines are overlapped. Is it possible to make the playlist font bigger without this overlapping?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr '17 - 14:57 »
The height of each playlist entry is determined by the height of the 1st entry in the skin's playlist panel. Unfortunately, there isn't currently any way to override that.

OSH

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr '17 - 18:33 »
So you have next suggestion for 3.9... screen resolutions are more and more higher, and such tiny font can be unreadable (especially for people with glasses)...

Dhry

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan '19 - 02:52 »
The height of each playlist entry is determined by the height of the 1st entry in the skin's playlist panel. Unfortunately, there isn't currently any way to override that.

Sorry for the thread necromancy. I'm trying to change the row height of a skin (just got a 4K monitor) and I've tried everything I can think of but the row height remains static. Choosing larger font point sizes just crowds the font in there. If I keep the font sized to fit the rows I have right now I legit need a magnifying glass to read anything.

Ian, you mention the first entry in the skin's playlist panel determines the row height. I've been modifying font_list and font_listsize but that still doesn't change the row height. What am I missing?

Edit: Also, is there a list somewhere of all the possible parameters that can be incorporated into a .skinconfig file?

Regards
Dhry

deus-ex

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan '19 - 13:23 »
Perhaps you want to try Rahdick's excellent skin scaler service: http://rahdick.at/sonstiges/xmplay-skin-scaler

Dhry

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan '19 - 15:58 »
I did, and it shrunk the font I'm using to super tiny. Explanation: I'm using Amit's excellent Windows Classic 2 skin, but I have a skinconfig file that I created in parallel to increase the fonts. Rahdick's site said it couldn't find a skinconfig.txt file in the skin when I uploaded it. I was hoping that the override config file would work with the "scaled" skin, but all I get is what I had before - font size changes, but row height is still precisely what it was before.

I tried Rahdick's site with a factor of 2 and then 5 on the skin and both times nothing appeared to happen, it comes out the same way with nothing scaled at all. I can open the .xmpskin file in 7-zip (was going to do this to try and inject the skinconfig override I'm using, before uploading to the scaler site again) but for some reason I cannot add files to it - it's telling me it's in fact NOT a zip but a "PE" file instead, whatever that is.

So does this mean that the row height in the playlist and main window is NOT controlled by the font settings themselves, but instead by something else in the skin? If so, do you know which specific file I need to modify, and which value IN that file needs to be modified, in order to control the global row height?

Dhry

deus-ex

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan '19 - 18:23 »
Rahdick's skin scaler throws the following error message for Windows Classic 2.xmpskin:
Code: [Select]
Error: search for 'skinconfig.txt' failed on 'uploads/Windows Classic 2.xmpskin'.
Please note that this tool cannot unpack old XMPlay skins in DLL format.

Ian should be able to help and unpack this skin for you.
PE is the common abbreviation for Portable Executable.