Author Topic: XMPlay on windows 8.1  (Read 602 times)

rst

XMPlay on windows 8.1
« on: 21 Apr '17 - 14:20 »
Recently i have installed windows 8.1 enterprise x64.
When running XMPlay i obtain the error 'msvcr71.dll' is missing.
The program anyways start but always that error on its booting.

Also when inserting a winamp VIS warpper and click in 'config' button the whole program gets stucked totally.
But when i copied the whole XMPlay folder to the new windows 8.1, the settings had a VIS wrapper just added that works perfectly. The problem appears when click 'config' button.

help
« Last Edit: 21 Apr '17 - 14:37 by rst »

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: XMPlay on windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr '17 - 16:14 »
XMPlay itself doesn't use msvcr71.dll, and I don't think any of the native plugins do either, so I guess it may be a Winamp plugin that needs it. To find out, you could check the "Input and archive plugins" list in XMPlay and see which (if any) is missing. Or you could try removing the in_*.dll files one by one until you find the culprit.

I'm not sure where you can get msvcr71.dll from to fix the problem, but it seems like it may be included in the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, so you could try installing that.

rst

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr '17 - 16:26 »
yes, in .net 1.1, but seems that installer is not possible to install....

I will check the native input plugins and/or i will isolate the one that wants that dll but... we should be able to have just the same libraries on windows 8.1

Anywyas what i am worried is about the 'config' button not working on the VIS wrapper, maybe because the dll ?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr '17 - 16:39 »
Yeah, perhaps one/some of the Winamp vis plugins needs msvcr71.dll. You could try removing them one by one too.

rst

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr '17 - 17:06 »
it goes to give its work. My XMPlay folder size 332 MB.
Anyways the work on the main XMPlay program is amazing, just copied the folder to the new windows 8.1, and even with the dll erros and other lateral issues, but the player is giving the crystal audio :) congratulations to the author.

rst

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr '17 - 16:39 »
i was able to install net framework 1.1 and the sp1 on the windows 8.1 enterprise x64.
But anyways, when starting XMPlay the msvcr71.dll still is missing.
So i found some information about to put the dll in the same executable path, that worked and also worked to put that dll into Syswow3264.

But still the problem when clicking on the 'config' button or when adding a new VIS warpper. The whole program gets blocked and i have to kill the process.

help

Dotpitch

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr '17 - 19:21 »
But still the problem when clicking on the 'config' button or when adding a new VIS warpper. The whole program gets blocked and i have to kill the process.
When you click the Config button in the Winamp vis wrapper, it probably scans all DLLs for Winamp visualizations. If one of those does not respond because it's missing MSVCR, it could lock up. You're going to have to figure out which one it is.

saga

« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr '17 - 20:06 »
That's not quite correct, if a dependency is not met, a library will simply not load at all. However, the suggestion is still valid of course - any plugin could be causing the hang, so try removing them one by one until you found the culprit.

piovrauz

« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr '17 - 21:18 »
I think I may remember someting around those lines. Could it be milkdrop?

rst

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr '17 - 11:59 »
i installed the net framework 1.1 and its sp1. But after do it, xmplay still asking by the library. So i am not sure that net framerwork works fine.

like i said, i have placed the 'msvcr71.dll' into 'syswow64' folder of the win8.1
XMplay never more asked about it.

so i dont know what more i can do, but yes, when we click config button i remember in xp that all the plugins are browsing, or some like that...

Anyways, i remember some messing yes with Milkdrop and some registering dll into its files etc. It may be the reason... i will check one by one all the winamp plugins i have.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr '17 - 12:07 by rst »

rst

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr '17 - 16:56 »
ok, i found a winamp vis plugin that is causing that problem.
Anyways the milkdrop is asking for directx9, the system has dx11, some way to use it ?

and other issue, the sonique 'visuals' dont work. The whole program gets blocked and i have to kill the process.
No visual appears, it get blocked just on the 'visuals' click. It is very curious because they works using by two winamp plugins called 'Synesthesia' and 'Sonique Visual Plugin Warpper 2.0'. But not the native way on XMplay.

help
« Last Edit: 23 Apr '17 - 17:21 by rst »

Dotpitch

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr '17 - 07:01 »
ok, i found a winamp vis plugin that is causing that problem.
So, which one was it? No more problems after removing it?

and other issue, the sonique 'visuals' dont work. The whole program gets blocked and i have to kill the process.
I guess you have a lot of visualizations as well? Could you first try without any additional visualizations, to see whether the built-in spectrum works? The moment you go to the Visuals tab, XMPlay will scan all visualizations, just like with the plugins.

rst

« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr '17 - 15:25 »
yes dotpiitch, the winamp plugin that caused that is called 'ArKaos Visualizer 1.6.2' that works in xp, but no way in win8.
And i have found the reasson the sonique visuals stuck the program. And in fact i remeber it that produce me problems in the past. It is called 'Groofed Up 1.8'.

Now the only one that ist working is the amazing Milkdrop 2.25. Just the one that we had to mess with it to generate a manifest or i dont remember. Now appears a window saying 'DirextX Missing or Corrupt'. The plugin wants Dirextx 9.0 or later, and the win8.1 has Directx 11. What we can do with this ?

thx in advance

Dotpitch

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr '17 - 19:56 »
yes dotpiitch, the winamp plugin that caused that is called 'ArKaos Visualizer 1.6.2' that works in xp, but no way in win8.
And i have found the reasson the sonique visuals stuck the program. And in fact i remeber it that produce me problems in the past. It is called 'Groofed Up 1.8'.
OK, good that you found it.

Now the only one that ist working is the amazing Milkdrop 2.25. Just the one that we had to mess with it to generate a manifest or i dont remember. Now appears a window saying 'DirextX Missing or Corrupt'. The plugin wants Dirextx 9.0 or later, and the win8.1 has Directx 11. What we can do with this ?
I would expect DX11 to be backwards compatible and cover all functionality of 9, but apparently it doesn't really work that way. Some searching showed you can have DX9 and 11 installed on the same machine without problems, so you can try that. Get DX 9 here.