Author Topic: drag and drop into player behavior  (Read 610 times)

izmo

drag and drop into player behavior
« on: 25 Apr '17 - 13:52 »
i like to play files by dragging them from windows explorer into the player or playlist.
sometimes i drag into the player, forgetting that this will delete my current playlist.

so, for dragging into the player,
i propose there be an option to change the behavior to add files to the end of the playlist and begin playback.
this way people like me won't accidentally delete their current playlist (i realize maybe there are no people like me)

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: drag and drop into player behavior
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr '17 - 14:58 »
If you hold the SHIFT key while dropping the files, then they will be added to the list instead of replacing the list (or the opposite if dropped into the list). If you accidentally replace the list, you can undo that by pressing CTRL+Z.

izmo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr '17 - 21:58 »
If you hold the SHIFT key while dropping the files, then they will be added to the list instead of replacing the list (or the opposite if dropped into the list). If you accidentally replace the list, you can undo that by pressing CTRL+Z.

thanks, I've used this awesome program for around 10 years and I don't think I ever realized there was an undo.

one other suggestion i'd have is to have the option to not display the "remove & delete file" action in the playlist right click menu

also, right now it seems that even when playing around with NoConfirmDelete, there is no confirmation prompt when deleting a single file or more than one.  At least it only goes to the recycling bin, but ideally my preference would be where there is no chance of deleting a file at all.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr '17 - 16:27 »
also, right now it seems that even when playing around with NoConfirmDelete, there is no confirmation prompt when deleting a single file or more than one.  At least it only goes to the recycling bin, but ideally my preference would be where there is no chance of deleting a file at all.

That sounds like the delete confirmation may be disabled in Windows. You can check that by right-clicking on the recycle bin; see the "Display delete confirmation dialog" box.

Here's an update that allows disabling of the "delete file" option:

www.un4seen.com/stuff/xmplay.exe

Add a "NoDelete=1" line to your XMPLAY.INI file to disable the "delete file" option.
« Last Edit: 26 Apr '17 - 17:30 by Ian @ un4seen »

izmo

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr '17 - 02:21 »
thanks, you were right about the delete confirmation in windows. I have just started using windows 10 for the first time, and that was the default, but I didn't notice cos' when I really want to delete something I use shift+delete, and the confirmation appears for that, just not for deleting to the recycle bin.

that build works great, thanks again

raina

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr '17 - 08:08 »
i propose there be an option to change the behavior to add files to the end of the playlist and begin playback.
this way people like me won't accidentally delete their current playlist (i realize maybe there are no people like me)

My favorite settings for this are in the Integration section:

Default action: add to playlist
Play listed tracks: if not playing

No wonder as the latter was something I suggested. This way the player always does what I think is appropriate in the current context. Never interrupt a playing track and don't clear the playlist. ("Remove after playing" is great for that.)

...Aaand I just realized these don't apply to drag'n'dropping to the player window. Could they? They work great for launching from the explorer via double-clicking and context menu.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr '17 - 17:55 »
...Aaand I just realized these don't apply to drag'n'dropping to the player window. Could they?

Yeah, they currently don't apply when drag'n'dropping. I'm not sure why that was done. I'll look into it.