Author Topic: Title encoding  (Read 895 times)

Or

Title encoding
« on: 27 May '17 - 10:58 »
My language default is Hebrew, but I listen to songs with Swedish letters such as , and
The playlist shows Hebrew letters instead of the Swedish ones.

How can I set xmplay to show the correct letters?

saga

Re: Title encoding
« Reply #1 on: 28 May '17 - 14:08 »
What format are those songs in? Some audio formats do not deffine the encoding that is used to save text metadata, but many others do, so it should not matter what locale your system uses. You can also edit wrongly formatted track titles in the XMPlay library.

Or

« Reply #2 on: 30 May '17 - 07:24 »
these are mp3's

Or

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun '17 - 09:35 »
I tried opening xmplay with AppLocale with a different encoding but it didn't work.
It has to be something with the plugin but the plugin doesn't have any encoding settings as far as I can see.

saga

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun '17 - 12:41 »
As long as the files don't use old ID3v1 tags (but rather ID3v2 tags), the encoding of the titles should be well-defined and XMPlay should have no problem displaying them correctly. Have you tried verifying that the titles are actually stored correctly by e.g. opening the same file in MP3Tag?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun '17 - 14:11 »
I suspect the affected MP3 files do have ID3v1 tags or non-Unicode ID3v2 tags. In that case, Windows' "Language for non-Unicode programs" setting will be used when XMPlay reads the tags. I haven't tried the AppLocale tool myself, but I guess it lets you change that setting on a per-application basis? If so, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be working.

If you upload one of the affected files, I'll check what tags it has.

ftp.un4seen.com/incoming/

Or

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun '17 - 09:13 »
So I changed the tags with MP3Tag and it worked!
The only not so much of a problem but annoying nonetheless, is that the skin font doesn't support these characters

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun '17 - 16:37 »
Which skin are you using? It is possible to change the fonts that a skin uses by creating a custom SKINCONFIG file for it (named "<skinfilename>.skinconfig"). You can see the skin's SKINCONFIG.TXT file by opening the skin in ZIP software.

Or

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun '17 - 08:50 »
I'm using the default WAModern skin
I tried opening the xmpskin with 7zip with no success

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 5 Jun '17 - 16:33 »
OK. That skin pre-dates the switch to ZIP-based skins in XMPlay, but you can get the source files from the support site, here:

http://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=326

Or

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun '17 - 10:03 »
So I had to edit the font file eventually, but it works.
Funny that the original font editor used for the skin font doesn't support these characters.

Thanks!