Author Topic: BASS_WASAPI_Init fails, error code -1  (Read 180 times)

ed_

BASS_WASAPI_Init fails, error code -1
« on: 16 Aug '17 - 16:43 »
My audio recording application (Windows native C++) has been working properly with no issues for months. Now BASS_WASAPI_Init is failing, BASS_ErrorGetCode is returning -1, and I'm not aware of any changes to my system that would cause this. I suspect a Windows update, but I haven't been able to confirm this.

I tried recording in Reaper using WASAPI and that was also failing, I got Reaper working by reinstalling my audio device driver and setting the input and ouput sample rates in Windows control panel to the same value. Now I can successfully record and playback in Reaper using WASAPI.

However, in my application BASS_WASAPI_Init is still failing, and -1 isn't very useful. I could use some troubleshooting suggestions. Any way to get the inner HRESULT from WASAPI system?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: BASS_WASAPI_Init fails, error code -1
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug '17 - 17:13 »
I will send you a debug BASSWASAPI version to get more info on what's happening.

ed_

Re: BASS_WASAPI_Init fails, error code -1
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug '17 - 21:52 »
Thanks for your help.

The issue seems to be caused by Kaspersky antivirus (Endpoint Security 10 with all the default options).

If enabled I can replicate the issue 100%. I haven't been able to replicate the issue yet with it disabled.

I have not bothered to investigate if I can get bass working with Kaspersky enabled by changing settings in Kaspersky. My solution is to uninstall Kaspersky and use MSE instead.