Author Topic: How can I send an output device to a record channel for casting?  (Read 262 times)

Chris Oakley

I bet this is really simple, but search as I might I can't figure out the way to do this.

I want to use Direct Sound for this, not WASAPI or ASIO - I've already managed to do those two.

I need to be able to get an output device and send it to a record channel for casting.

Most people would say use the StereoMix, but not all PC's have this option.

Any ideas would be brilliant :)

Chris

Hi every Soundcard will have via DirectSound "Steromix/What you here"   sometime its deactivated you muss activated it .

Second way can be to use wasapi via BASS_DEVICE_LOOPBACK

Chris Oakley

Thanks Chris. I've sorted the WASAPI loopback, that was a piece of cake. What I was trying to achieve was doing a loopback in DirectSound as not all machines have Stereo-Mix or What I Hear.

After trawling the internet I found the answer on a German website. I couldn't read the language but the code was in English and I spotted this little config for BASS.NET:

Bass.BASS_SetConfig(CType(28, BASSConfig), 1)

This is in VB.NET but it activates an undocumented Loopback for Direct Sound. I'm pleased to say this has done exactly what I wanted so if anyone else is looking for an answer to this then hopefully this will be what you're after.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
That undocumented config option 28 is named BASS_CONFIG_REC_LOOPBACK and it is actually enabling WASAPI loopback recording with BASS, the same as you already have working with BASSWASAPI. So you may as well stick with the latter :)

If you're still interested in knowing more, here is where that option was introduced:

www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=8816.msg60868;topicseen#msg60868

Chris Oakley

Ah. I'm a little confused. It's working for Direct Sound, I'm not using WASAPI on this. I understand what you're saying but is this affecting my app in some way then? By that I mean, despite me using all the commands for DS and not touching WASAPI will it be using WASAPI under the bonnet?

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Yes, the loopback recording devices enabled by the BASS_CONFIG_REC_LOOPBACK option will be using WASAPI (directly, not via BASSWASAPI). That means they won't be available on Windows XP and older (no WASAPI there).

Chris Oakley

Right. I'm with you now. We don't support XP anyway for our software so that's not an issue. However, my curiosity is getting the better of me as there must be a way to do this in Direct Sound as I've seen other software using the Bass.dll that works on XP and they do this without a loop back.

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
The other software that's working on XP is most likely recording from the soundcard's "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" input, or have you seen it working with a soundcard that doesn't have that input available?