Author Topic: Intermediate VST Mixer causing UI performance hit on macOS  (Read 171 times)

BaseHead

Hey Ian and gang!
Sooo.....I popped in an intermediate mixer for just VST streams on our macOS version just like I did in our .NET one and notice a huge performance hit graphically.
The time counters and playhead are moving chunky slow now.
instead of like 30 fps they look more like 10-15fps

the rough old code was like this

Code: [Select]
                    int stream0 = BASS_StreamCreateFile(FALSE, [aPath UTF8String], 0, 0, BASS_STREAM_DECODE);
                    int mixer = BASS_Mixer_StreamCreate(bass_info.freq, speakers, BASS_MIXER_NONSTOP);
                    BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel(mixer, stream0, BASS_SPEAKER_N(2) |BASS_MIXER_MATRIX);

and the new way is just adding this new 8 channel mixer in the middle

Code: [Select]
                    int stream0 = BASS_StreamCreateFile(FALSE, [aPath UTF8String], 0, 0, BASS_STREAM_DECODE);
                    mixer = BASS_Mixer_StreamCreate(bass_info.freq, speakers, BASS_MIXER_BUFFER);
                    mixerVST = BASS_Mixer_StreamCreate(bass_info.freq, 8, BASS_STREAM_DECODE  | BASS_MIXER_NONSTOP);
                    BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel(mixerVST, stream0, BASS_SPEAKER_FRONT);
                    BASS_Mixer_StreamAddChannel(mixer, mixerVST, BASS_MIXER_MATRIX);

Anyone have an idea (or tips how to fix) why adding a basic 8 channel mixer in the middle seems to be soaking the UI refresh rate so bad?
I should NOTE: Everything is working and playing correct.  It's just not looking like the buttery smooth application I had before this was added.  8(

thank for any tips!

Steve

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Is there an actual performance hit (eg. CPU usage increase indicated by BASS_GetCPU) or is it just that the reported position isn't as precise/granular as before? If it's the latter, please confirm which handle you are getting the position of, and how.

BaseHead

Yeah it looks like if I change getting the position from steam0 to mixerVST it fixes the graphic chunky monkey issues and back to silky smooth.
Of course it just broke 20 other transport things....hahaha
i have a long day ahead of me repairing this, but I think I'll be alright now.  8)

Thx Ian!