Author Topic: decoder used in XMPLAY?  (Read 342 times)

shorterxp

decoder used in XMPLAY?
« on: 23 May '18 - 23:17 »
I have verison 3.8.0.5 installed. What decoder is used for mp3? I would like to use an external directshow filter (which is installed system wide) but its unclear if its preferred over the internal decoder (I assume there is a decoder within xmplay.exe).

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
Re: decoder used in XMPLAY?
« Reply #1 on: 24 May '18 - 14:35 »
Yes, XMPlay does use its own decoder to play MP3 files. I don't know if there is a Winamp plugin for DirectShow filters, but if there is, you could use that for MP3 files by giving it priority in the "Plugins > Input" options page.

shorterxp

« Reply #2 on: 24 May '18 - 22:48 »
Which decoder would that be? I'm using the XMPLAY version before LAV filters update.

Ok I will try that. Would be great if there was an alt way. Those winamp to dx converters are 'reallyrarewarez'

Ian @ un4seen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 May '18 - 17:26 »
XMPlay has its own built-in MP3 decoder. There shouldn't be an audible difference between any MP3 decoders (except they may handle corruption differently), so it shouldn't really matter which is used. I thought maybe you wanted to use DirectShow for some processing/effects applied after the decoding?

sveakul

« Reply #4 on: 25 May '18 - 18:34 »
shorterxp:  There is a Winamp Direct Show plugin, in_dshow.dll, that is included in the "Full" Winamp install package.  There is also in_ffsox, a ffmpeg plugin for Winamp that is problematic with XMPlay by what I read (http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=17306).

However, there is absolutely no reason to use other than the built-in XMPlay support for mp3--or any other format it supports natively IMHO.  It's based on Ian's own BASS library sound engine which is constantly updated and in use by state-of-the-art players like MusicBee and AIMP in addition to XMPlay.

saga

« Reply #5 on: 26 May '18 - 10:22 »
Also note that any standards-compliant MP3 decoder has to produce the exact same output (with small tolerance levels). So if you find that some other MP3 decoder sounds different from XMPlay's own decoder, it is probably broken.

shorterxp

« Reply #6 on: 26 May '18 - 23:11 »
I'm a fixed point man ;)

I tried in_dshow.dll

It asks for nsutil.dll, which I add in the XMPLAY folder, then it asks for MSVCR90.dll, once I've added that too (after installing VS2008), runtime error occurs upon startup of xmplay, but it still works, just not the plugin.

To have mad (or ochtan mpg123) library to decode mp3 would be neat. I'm infatuated with fixed point.
I have the volume control in XMPLAY set fixed point done via padding option on the ASIO option page.

So when I reduce vol. to -60 in 8 bit mode theres quantization distortion (only to confirm its working as it should, against convention I don't care, convention ain't always right). Of course I don't keep it in 8bit mode, its just to experiment.

My philosophy behind this is I now have an audio player thats 100% fixed point.

TBH 99.99% of mp3s are encoded with float encoder anyway so I guess its moot trying to find a FP decoder. I just had mad/mpg123 installed system-wide as a direct show filter so was curios if it could be used.

Thanks for the help. I like XMPLAY. I use the Lithe skin. Its minimal and perfect.
« Last Edit: 28 May '18 - 17:47 by shorterxp »

piovrauz

« Reply #7 on: 27 May '18 - 17:12 »
why do you care about fixed point when you already have a way bigger loss on the compression side?
I highly doubt that with real" music you can hear it anyway.

shorterxp

« Reply #8 on: 27 May '18 - 22:49 »
Very true  ;D

Anyway I discovered https://modarchive.org. I didn't realise XMPLAY could play tracker tunes out of the box!

Now I get to revisit that era! unreal tournament 4 life!
« Last Edit: 28 May '18 - 17:48 by shorterxp »

saga

« Reply #9 on: 28 May '18 - 21:36 »
I didn't realise XMPLAY could play tracker tunes out of the box!
It's right there in the name. ;)